Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #46
Falclon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn The Spazz View Post
Geez, I have a lot of stories...and most of them are about my dad XD

Dad: How's your face? (When my friend was cutting my Hartia wig, she slipped with the scissors and cut me by accident)
Me: I'll live, but Hartia turned out awesome, so it's ok.
Dad: You mean the wig for your Hartia cosplay turned out awesome.
Me: No, I mean Hartia. I do that, refer to the wig by it's character.
Dad:...that's weird.
Me: Actually it's pretty common in the cosplay community.
Dad: Well you're the only one in this house who's a member of the cosplay community, so talk like a normal person.
Me: I can try, but can I still call the imagine blade Leroy?
Dad: Is the character's name Leroy or the sword?
Me: No that character's name is Creed, but I named my sword Leroy.
Dad: That's fine then.
LOL I do the same thing! xD I didn't know anyone else who did though so this is reassuring. When I was packing up for a con this year my mom was asking what I had left and I replied "oh just Inga, my pillow, and..." She then got this really confused look and I had to explain that no I was not taking a person named Inga but my wig.

My mom is really supportive of it and is just happy I'm not out doing drugs all the time. As for my dad he also thinks it's cool but I make sure to approve which pictures he sees. He doesn't need to know of my more revealing cosplays.

Unread 06-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #47
makotohanabi
Chuu?

I finished my Beast of Blood Mana costume and I went to my room (only room with a full length mirror) to try on the entire costume with wig and make up. It looks pretty good but I wanted a second opinion, so I go downstairs to ask mom. I catch her at the bottom of the stairs and the expression on her face was priceless. She didn't recognize me until I spoke.

She liked the costume and said it was about time I cosplayed a girl. I told her Mana is a man, and she muttered something about the most beautiful women are always men.
Unread 06-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #48
Kennykins

My mom just stays out of my cosplay life. But my first convention, my Dad took us, first thing we see its a guy in a Felicia costume .___.

surprisingly he was just like ”lol okay Kenny.” I think I was more uncomfortable than he was. He wad just getting into photography so having so many willing subjects no matter how strange.

My mom usually only comments when i'm trying to flatten my boobs since i'm crying about how small they are every other day XD
Kennykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #49
improvised

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-Steffi-x View Post
Mom: "Are those hooker boots?"

>.>
Hahaha!
improvised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #50
Mikuhoneychan

One time I left my Mello wig on the table while I went to look for something, then when I returned my grandma was wearing it, though I'm sure told her /not/ to touch it right before I left. But I'll admit...It looked pretty funny. xD
Unread 06-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #51
Moonsong
daughter of evil

My mom usually never has comments to say unless they are negative (ex: you look like a hooker, that's too short, why would you want to wear that, etc.) She couldn't care less for the most part. -_-

On hiatus until 2015.

★Saber EXTRA - 100% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 07:01 AM   #52
RydiaValentine
Many talented Lady

My mother response when I started cosplaying at 13:

"Great! Now you'll make your own costumes from now on and I don't have to sew anymore!". She made all my costumes for infant and primary school (except for the accesories, I had to made them myself).
RydiaValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #53
momoiru1994
Iruka

she doens't want me to get out the house, only when it's a con XD
and thank's to me she knows who kakashi is and starts taking pics from me for her friends but when i started she was like.... WTF and now she is like... meih.... xD
Unread 06-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #54
Neelh
Toa of Psionics

My mum's actually pretty supportive. I mean, she did take me and my Miku Dashie to town just now for cosplay.

nokama.tumblr.com

Last edited by Neelh : 06-13-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Neelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #55
JahatIstiri

My parents don't really mind that much. My dad watched a little bit of DBZ and started calling fajitas "vegetas". My mom thinks of sailor moon when she hears about anime/cosplay. XD Although, they get a bored look when my sister or I talk about cosplays we want to do.
JahatIstiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #56
GrellFanBoi~
~Grell Is A Crazy Fruit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-Steffi-x View Post
Mom: "Are those hooker boots?"

>.>
I'm dying over here. xD <3

Anyhow, my parents are rather acceptable. owo
They once asked me how can I assure them that I can be safe at a con.
I replied: "People who go at cons are generally very nice. The only dangerous situation would occur if a hungry otaku doesn't have money for pocky and goes on a rampage."

I think they kinda took it seriously. .3.
GrellFanBoi~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #57
Soji-chan
Girl with the checkbones

Ahahaha, well I was already living by myself when I started cosplaying, but still got interesting reactions . My everyday colthes where lolit for some time then pirate.... my mom didn't like it that much ,mostly because she just didn't find it pretty. But she never complained when I went to Christmas parties wearing pirates clothes and helped me see lolita clothes.

Now, for cosplay, my parents got use to it. My sis is also cosplaying

My mom:
-Was one of the first to comment, all amazed, on the first picture that popped online of my Grell cosplay. Her and one of my aunt, both going all WOOOW
-She's generally impressed by the ammount of effort and imagination we put in it
-She is generally worried by the ammount of money we put in this. XD
-Saw one of my wig on a picture online and immediatly said she wanted to try it XD
-After I complained about how much place mty cosplays were taking in my appartment, she offered to keep them in storage for me in her basement .... *_*

My dad:
-He's generally just impress too. I can spend hours explaining him ALL the details about the costumes and conventions and he will just ... ask some questions.. ahahaah
-My dad look A LOT like Snake in Metal Gear Solid. A bit between Young Snake and Old Snake. When my sis showed him a pic of Snake from the 4 to show him how they were looking alike, he becames all insecure , and said "I don't look that old, no?" Ahahaha, poor daddy
-He also agreed to wear a headband and take the pose just to look more like him on a picture. And told us " If you find me a costume of him, I'll wear it" <3

My boyfriend's parents:
My boyfriend's mom is a gamer. Both are crafters. She like to sew, he like to... generally crafts. They always help us with our cosplay.

When we started to make cosplay with them, we explained how the goal is to look as identical as possible to the character. Now ,when I come back from a convention and show her the pictures, she want to know how the real characters look like to see how identicals the cosplays are XD

When she was playing Ocarina of Time, she also commented how she would LIKE to sew a Sheik cosplay because he/she is awesome.

And when I was showing her my Trinity bnlood artbook... she said she would like to sew a Queen Esther outfit O.O
Soji-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #58
Quinn The Spazz
Positively ineffable

My dad has started referring to the corner of my room where I keep Berthier's Sword, Creed's Imagine Blade and Faust VIII's W.I.P scythe as "My Hall of weapons."

Also, my dad heard my friend call Faust VIII "Dr. Frostbite" because of his blueish lips and found it funny. I have a bad feeling I'm going to be hearing that comment again from him next time my friend does my Faust makeup.
Samon Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Toshio Ozaki-Shiki, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Professor Ozpin-RWBY, Yoite-Nabari no Ou, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Kaito Jeanne-Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Friagne-Shakugan no Shana, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)

Last edited by Quinn The Spazz : 06-10-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Quinn The Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #59
Gryphon Fyre

My step-mom has always been less than thrilled about my cosplays (she has the typical, anime-is-for-kids outlook), but she still helps me figure out issues when I screw up while sewing.
My dad on the other hand, is just completely neutral about it...

But the last time he dropped my friend and I off at AnimeUSA, he seemed really interested, and kept asking me to explain who was what character.
("And that character in the skin... suit... thing, what is that?"
"I think it's from Angelic Layer. I read it a while ago. It's by the people who draw really tall skinny characters..."
"Oh! Right! And that one, I recognize that one. That's from that show... with the white haired guy..."
"Soul Eater. Yup. Good job."
"WHAT IS THAT?"
"That's a raver."
"From?"
"Nothing. It's a style."
"Do you wear that?!"
"Yes. Kind of. No. Well, yes.")

Last edited by Gryphon Fyre : 06-10-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Gryphon Fyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #60
morgan sullivan

that probably tokyo mew mew;D
morgan sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote