Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #106
omgitsnessy

my mom doesn't know i crossplay. i'm 14 so i don't really want to tell her, because i know she'll start asking if i'm a lesbian/crossdresser.. which i guess technically i would be a crossdresser but still lol
omgitsnessy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #107
AltiaSylatz

When I called my dad to wish him happy fathers day and to say happy birthday to my step mom they both asked me when I was going to my convention and what was it for again. When my step mom heard it was anime I hear her say to my dad "See didn't I said it was with anime"

My mom and I visited my uncle and aunt for 4 of July. After a few hours my uncle noticed I was wearing my Yuna earring.
Uncle: I just now noticed you got a really long earring on. And there's not one on the other ear.
Mom: It's part of her costume. She made it herself.
Aunt: You made that?
Me: Yup. It was a pain.
Mom: She made it out of that clay thing that you bake.
I just find it funny how whenever I do wear my stuff my mom will jump right in if she hears a family member asking. She used to ask me "Aren't you too old for anime/video games?" XD

When my friend, Shivkit, came over wearing her Russia wig my grandma asked her "What did you do to your hair?"
AltiaSylatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #108
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

I think I might be the only one here that hasn't had a parent say anything amusing about cosplaying. My mom thinks it's great and is always supportive, which of course doesn't make for any funny anecdotes.
Closest thing I have is my brothers' responses to when I try my wigs on. "Who are you? What are you doing in my house?" That kind of thing. XD

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #109
Wulikins
Old n00b

Lol, I enjoyed reading all of your experiences and funny stories. ^^

My mum doesn't really bother with my hobbies or crafts. She does encourage me to sew and helps me with that but doesn't seem to mention anything about the cosplay.

Once when I was maybe fourteen, she dropped me off a con (I felt so lame for it too xD) and I couldn't shut the car door for my poofy dress. I remember her helping me get in by smooshing all the frills so she could close the door. xD

I'm kind of shy about my hobbies so I don't want to know what she thinks about my cosplay. ^^; But so far she's been pretty chill.

Last edited by Wulikins : 07-06-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Wulikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 05:22 AM   #110
Tigress
Bitch-Kitty on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Moon View Post
My mom has always been cool with my cosplaying, she thought it was cool, but she had a boyfriend one time who told her that she should make me stop cosplaying because 'cosplaying is the devil' ... I loled so hard XD
My mom dated a guy like that shortly after my parents divorced. She dumped him when he started trying to persuade her to move in with him (after only a few dates) and said that my brother and I were "immature" to still be watching cartoons at our age and needed to move out of the house. My brother was still in high school and I was finishing up college.

Quickest way to get on Mom's bad side is telling her what to do with her own kids. Good thing, because I didn't want to have to tell her that I instantly didn't like him. Calling a computer science major immature for "playing on a computer all day" to my face, but you're dating someone 25 years your junior? Yeah right, buddy.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #111
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

I remember having my mom take me to value village to get some items for a crossplay, and I needed some formal wear. She walks up to me holding a women's white button-up and asks:

Mom: "How's this?"
Me: "...Mom, that's a women's shirt."
Mom: "...so?"
Me: "I need a men's shirt. ._."
Mom: "Why?"
Me: "I'm dressing up as a boy."
*awkward silence*
Mom: ".....well, it's better than you doing drugs, I suppose."

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely

Last edited by Fish-and-Chips-Yum : 07-06-2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: punctuation error
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #112
omgitsnessy

hahaha omg that is wonderful
omgitsnessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #113
Piobaireachd

My mom is the funniest person ever and she always have a comment to make about everything. Including my costumes. (She really supports me, btw). This is the most recent one:

Me: Mom, I don't know what to do! I'm running out of characters I could cosplay using my current wigs and I don't want to import more because it's taking over 3 months for them to get here! D:
Mom: Well, let's find some characters with hats, hoods, stuff like that. The next time you go to a con in the US, buy lots of wigs for the next cosplay year.
Me: But what if the customs office stops me and opens my luggage when I arrive? They'll see all those wigs and tax the hell out of me!
Mom: Simple, tell them you're a drag queen and that you use them for your performances. This way they won't ask any more questions.
Me: ...
Mom: What?
Me: Mom, I'm a cosplayer, not a drag queen. Drag queens are cool, but...
Mom: Honey, the only difference between you and a drag queen is that the drag lip-syncs.
Me: ...but I've already did a lip-sync once for a skit...
Mom: EVEN MORE CONVINCING!
Piobaireachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 12:26 AM   #114
Reily96
Kimono Junkie

Mom: Do you have everything?
Me: Yes.
Mom: Your belts?
Me: Yes.
Mom: Your harp?
Me: Yes!

And so on and so forth. My mom is my personal cosplay checklist. -w-
Kamiya Kaoru (Rurouni Kenshin) - 99%
Gakuko, Shanghai Disco ver. (Vocaloid) - 70%

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 02:30 AM   #115
NATHDAPUNK

(from the same lot of parents)
- "You are NOT spending $250 on a costume!"
- "Dress-ups are for 2 year olds"
- "Take that off you are not to wear that in public." (that wasn't actally a cosplay, it was a Pikachu hat but still)

Basically, living in an anti-cosplay house sucks.
NATHDAPUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 03:37 AM   #116
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

I had just gotten my elf ears in the mail for Princess Agitha and I had put them on with my wig. My mom's reaction:

Me: Tada!
Mom: O.O wow. You look really weird.
Me: lol
Mom: Do you have makeup in your eyebrows to make them that light?
Me: -.- No, this is my face. The only makeup I have on is the dots on my cheeks.
Mom: Wow.
Me: Yeah.
Mom: So do you have a lot of makeup on to make your face so pale?
Me: NO!! What part of "THIS is my FACE" do you not understand???

And then we both started laughing. Once we stopped laughing, this happened.

Me: *just standing there*
Mom: Okay, goodbye. Come back when you don't have those creepy ears on.

My dad's reaction:

Me: Hi
Dad: AHH!!!!!

But in all seriousness, they're really supportive of my cosplay. They think elf ears are kind of weird, but they're really impressed by, and supportive of my sewing/prop making. And wig styling, come to think if it. They were really shocked/impressed that I was able to style a "Nellie Oleson wig" as they call it (aka Innocence from Amphigory) into a Sailor Moon wig, and they think it's pretty "remarkable" that I can make costumes, especially since I've never been taught to sew, am still just figuring out how to sew, and most of the time draft my own patterns/don't use patterns. I'm gonna shut up about how great and supportive my parents are now, but they think it's great that I can make this stuff lol my parents are awesome!!!
------------------

Last edited by Fabulousity : 07-20-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 05:23 AM   #117
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Mwahaha, I paid my Mom back after all the strange comments she made.

Apparently I "won't stop going on about my current Sailor Moon cosplay" that she even had a dream about it - that she bought the rest of the stuff for my cosplay as well as Sailor Moon merchandise. Must have been more of a nightmare c:
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #118
Iluvatar

I travel to my parents' house fairly often to make use of my dad's stocked workshop in my costume builds, and, until recently, I never got a reaction. I've been working on a Thor costume for Dragoncon, and my dad walked in as I was trying on the chest armor and swinging the hammer around. He asked me:

So you're going as Thor?
Me: Yep--the god of thunder from the movie.
Dad: I just saw that movie a few weeks ago. You have any other Avengers in your group?
Me: No, it's just me and a friend of mine who is cosplaying Loki.
Dad: *Takes hammer and swings it a few times* ...do you need an Odin?
Me: *__*

And my mom is dressing as bacon. I love my parents.
Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #119
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Of course, at first, Mom was all "Are you lesbian? Do you want to be a boy? You shouldn't want to be a boy..." etc.
Now, she just asks "What gender is it? Do you need anything for it? What's their name? What do they do?" And tries to get involved..so..yay c:
And my Dad is an old school comic nerd so he just goes to cons and takes pictures of all the costumes he thinks is cool and lets me go do my thing xD So they're both pretty good about it c:
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #120
Vakhaur
Hoots at midnight.

My mother and father approve of my endeavors. My mother has asked why I cosplay boys the majority of the time, but nothing concerns her too much. She cherishes my eccentricities beyond cosplays and only wishes the best for me. My father has no words to the topic but is willing to take me to conventions, although it is a bit of a hassle.
Vakhaur is offline   Reply With Quote