Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Unread 01-31-2004, 10:43 PM   #1
neko rinchan
certified organic

Help in designing an origional EGL

basically what the title says, i would love some help in designing an origional EGL costume. i already know the "basics" such as pouffy skirt above the knees, victorian looking, lace, ribbons, etc., but i would appreciate some ideas in making an origional design.
i already have my colors; black, bright (but dark) blue and a subdued purple, and i know i'm going to make one of those "head things", and i also want to work in blue and black flowers somehow. but i'm having problems coming up with ideas for the actual dress. and i just don't want to cosplay some jrocker because i already have a vision of how i'm doing the make-up, wig and accessories.
so, if anyone can provide me with some ideas on how to do the main dress, it would be greatly appreciated!

ps. - would it be okay if i incorporated an apron, or are they passé?
pps - what type of fabrics should i use/not use?
neko rinchan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2004, 12:34 AM   #2
Kaede
biku biku

If you have a vision than you probably know what's best. If you want ideas, the best thing would be to look in Gothic & Lolita Bibles and other online shops. You can see what fabric they use and what you think would fit with your idea.
Kaede is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2004, 04:24 AM   #3
UtenaOhtori
*° Amai Rakuen made... °*

Hi hi! To start with I'm not so good at giving out advices, so sorry if I'm not very helpful^^;
Do you a have a generic idea of how you'd like to have your dress shaped, or if you want a one piece or separate pieces?
I really like 'princess cut' dresses, very fit on the waist with fluffy skirts, but it's a very personal get on it^^
I think mostly every fabric is nice, major EGL labels use acrylic, velvet, spandex, double layered jeans or cotton, organza and brocade, but since it's your own design you're free to use whatever you like! I'm a fan of velvet, but if you're going to wear it in summer it may get a little hot...

>ps. - would it be okay if i incorporated an apron, or are they passé?

Hmmm....I personally don't like aprons on egl dresses so I'd say no^^, but there are still some labels that use aprons in their designs, it's not passè at all, so if you like them go for it!
UtenaOhtori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2004, 12:32 AM   #4
darkenedxstar

Hmmm, I have 2 sketches of 2 different EGL pictures I made but they aren't too good. But hmmm some materials I'd suggest are fishnets. You can buy stockings and cut them up and create arm warmers things. And hmmm, lotsa lace as you say... and there's also something I don't know what it's called but it looks like fishnets but it's a thousand times smaller holes and they are alot tougher/harder. They look quite nice and I see Kana's red dress (if u've ever seen it) uses it. I hope it helps... .x.X I'm not that great of a help you see. XDDDD
darkenedxstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2004, 06:12 AM   #5
PorcelainSakura
ne? ne?

To me it seems like you might have too many colors (too busy), maybe just black+blue or black+purple? First decide what kind of pieces you want; a dress, blouse with skirt, etc. Be careful of the blue you use, certain shades look bad with black (the whole black and dark navy thing ^_^)

The ideas that popped in my head: purple dress, apron and head dress with black lace and ribbons.
Or (my fav) all black with blue roses (bouqet, on the head dress, maybe a small amount on the dress)
Unread 02-12-2004, 06:41 PM   #6
princessbunny99
.usagi.hime.

i love aprons. i wear them day to day (i mean, come on! they've got pockets!) with skirts and pants. i agree with the limiting colors. if you look at popular EGL style centered around black, they're usually black base with one other color (if ). i buy my lace at Jo Annes in the little clearance spools cause they're cheap and no one can really tell! yeah, but add lace to <i>everything</i>. Hems, socks, headresses, collars, cuffs!
princessbunny99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2004, 08:07 PM   #7
Mayu Amakura
YAOI *drool*

I'm going to add to this thread, even though it looks quite...unalive o_o;;

I wanted to make a gothic lolita costume to go to Acen. I know I want legwarmers. Done. I love my legwarmers. ^^
Something similar to this: http://snotcat.com/kana/pics/kana13.jpg but with legwarmers. LOL. I dunno if it'll be done by Acen in May, but I don't REALLY need it then, I just want a costume. Any hints, tips, advice, help...pattern ideas ESPECIALLY would be soooo appreciated. Thaaaank youu!
Unread 02-23-2004, 08:45 PM   #8
nuriko001
fuwakyo

*pokes head in.. hiddy ho.. i have original designs of 'lolita.punk.goth clothes... i do would like to see them made AHAH but you know. if you need help give me a shout
i use to have some on here. but the policy of no art took them off
Unread 02-23-2004, 09:44 PM   #9
Mayu Amakura
YAOI *drool*

Hey, thanks! I sent you a PM, by the way..

Question: Should the skirt/dress/whatever I decide on lay on top of the petticoat, or cover it?
Unread 02-23-2004, 10:31 PM   #10
PorcelainSakura
ne? ne?

That outfit is from bible #3. Kana's outfit is a skirt, top, and bra with tights. I'm sure the skirt can be made by making a simple tube skirt with layers of tulle and an elastic waist (to be easy). Legwarmers can be made the same way. There are lots of patterns out there for similar shirts, it looks like small red leopard print. The bra is a black bra with gathered tulle attached to the straps and butterfly charms too. Similar shoes are made by demonia, I also recently found a pair at Hottopic.
Unread 02-24-2004, 06:56 AM   #11
Mayu Amakura
YAOI *drool*

Thankyouthankyou! I'm actually looking at a bunch of different designs and shizm, but thank you so much for that information.
Unread 02-26-2004, 08:01 PM   #12
Akevari
Gothic Lolita

Mayu Amakura,
First off, how long are your leg warmers going to be? If they're from the knee down, you'll probably want elastic around the top. If they're about mid-thigh height, see if you can attach them to a garner belt. Then, if you want an outfit kinda like that picture, remove the leggings, as they won't work well with leg warmers.

Make sure that whatever shoes you buy have at least 2in heels. A suggestion for the skirt would be to have a petticoat under it, and then a 2 layer skirt, maybe a solird red base with some sort of black mesh over it. For the shirt, just pick something cute that flows with your outfit.

I'd would also try to pick an outfit that works with you hair. It'll be much easier if you don't have to worry about a wig.

Anyways, I hope this help.
Akevari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2004, 08:35 PM   #13
PorcelainSakura
ne? ne?

Looking at other pics, the skirt doesn't seem to have a petticoat.