Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.40 average.
Unread 06-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

making box pleated skirt

I hope someone can clear this up for me since I'm starting to drive myself crazy. I want to make a skirt that has box pleats going all the way around. It will have a petticoat underneath to make the hem flare out just a little bit.

Here's the problem I'm having: do I just use a big rectangle of fabric and pleat it all, then close it at the back? Or do I need to make the skirt in sections (as patterns call for), then pleat that?

The more I think about it, the more the second option just sounds wrong, but then my brain decides to fall back on the past methods I've used for skirts (but none of them involved pleating).

Unread 06-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbxUNIkc5Gw Not sure if this helps but here ya go.

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
B.O.M.
Bank of Mom

I make pleated skirts all the time without a pattern. The first time I made a box pleated skirt, I made a trial run with paper (to figure out the width of the pleats and how much fabric I'd need to go around completely).

Do your hem first though! That way you can iron it down with your pleats. And make sure your waistband is long enough for your fasteners.

Kayle (IntoxicatedPeng) - Drocell Keinz (Kuroshitsuji), Yuki Onna (Nurarihyon no Mago), 8th Doctor (Doctor Who), Soul Eater Evans (Soul Eater), Lucy (Fairy Tail) - Also attending Gallifrey One 25
Mara - Lulu (FFX), adult Nel (Bleach), Hagoromo Gitsune (Nurarihyon no Mago) WITH Baby Moogle, Trystan
Me - Mary Poppins, The Woman (Doctor Who, The End of Time), Sibylline Sisterhood (Doctor Who)

Photos
DA
Blog
B.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Zil

This tutorial shows how to make a knife pleated skirt, but you can follow it anyway. I made a box pleated skirt for my Sakura costume, which you can see in my gallery. To save money, I calculated how much fabric I would need (there's a how to in the linked tutorial) and instead of just buying 3 yards of that fabric (most of which I would not need because the skirt was only about 14 inches long) got about 1 1/2. I then cut out 3 panels of that fabric at the proper width for my skirt and sewed them together. With box pleats, it was no problem to hide the seams in the underside of the pleat. I think money saving is the only real reason patterns tell you to cut 3 panels.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

Thank you all for your help! Radleia, that video REALLY helps! I won't be adding a yoke, but that's not a big deal.