Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > CLAMP Series

Unread 02-01-2004, 02:03 AM   #1
Venator
Ach, mein Zahne!

Looking for tips on Chii costume...

As the title may suggest, I'm trying to get some second-opinions on an idea... So, any word of commentary or advice would be greatly appreciated.

At the end of this, I'm adding a link to a picture I drew of an original costume, as it would look on Chii (the main character from Chobits). Please forgive the quality of the work, as it was a fairly quick sketch, and my first time actually drawing her... I'm looking for a little help as far as construction would be involved, such as anything I could add or remove to make the design more interesting, detailed, or believable. Also note that I can't wear contacts, so my eyes won't be the right color ( >_< ), and I'm considering having petticoats under the dress to make it more feminine, if I can somehow find some for cheap.
Now, I am having a friend of mine help with makeup and such, but is there anything inparticular that I should do for the 'Chii' look? I have no experience with that, and couldn't even begin to guess what to do... However, is there anything else that I should be concerned about, along the way? My intent is to pass as best as possible... As such, accuracy of the character and her look are extremely important to me, and I would be really grateful for any help I can get.

Thanks for reading, and if you're interested... This is the costume design, as it stands:

AB '06: Alchemy-no-Jutsu (Winner for Best Script and Acting)

Last edited by Venator : 02-01-2004 at 09:00 AM.
Venator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2004, 02:34 AM   #2
dani
Boots were made 4 walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venator
and I'm considering having petticoats under the dress to make it more feminine and figure-concealing, if I can somehow find some for cheap.
From the drawing I don't think that's the kind of dress that would take a petticoat. To help your figure you could stuff your bust, cinch your waist and pad your hips.

Have fun...

Dani
dani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2004, 03:23 AM   #3
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

Although this will be a crossplay, it looks to me like you are really asking for general help regarding design and construction of a Chii costume, so I'm moving your thread to a more appropriate costuming forum.

If your intention was really to focus more on the crossplay / "passing" aspects of construction rather than the design, let me know (PM) and I can put it back.

Last edited by Karisu-sama : 02-01-2004 at 03:31 AM.
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2004, 03:43 AM   #4
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

I don't know Chobits/Chii very well, but from what I have seen of her outfits, they're usually in pastels and light colors (the darker colors seem to be more for Freya), and are very detailed. To your costume, I would add more details - more ribbons (perhaps around the arms, as ties?), maybe some lace, or lace-like cutouts at the bottom of the sleeves/skirt, or perhaps little flowers or beading. Maybe change the colors to a light pink/really dark pink/red, or a light blue/navy combo, or pink and purple? It just seems more "chii" to me. I do enjoy the style of the top a lot, though. Wish I had one.

Keep in mind they are only suggestions. I am sure it will be awesome.
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2004, 08:56 AM   #5
Venator
Ach, mein Zahne!

*nods* Thanks, Eleryth... You're right, the original design was for dark Chii, though I will try to see what feminine, lacy aspects I can add. One thing I've noticed with original character cosplay is that they tend to be overly-detailed, and don't really end up looking like anime characters... that was the big thing I was concerned about: keeping it simple. However, I'll certainly see what I can do as far as trims and such go.

Sumimasen, Karisu-Sama... I suppose I was in the wrong place... I guess I just wanted to go to the crossplay board, as I know a lot of regular cosplayers might not be terribly accepting of the general idea. It seems now that was inappropriate... I'll continue this from where it's moved to. My apologies... It won't happen again.

And thank you, Dani. I was intending on taking those measures, as well, so long as I could find the proper equipment. I'm going to try your hip-padding method if I can, and have a friend ask around if anyone has a spare corset or something.

Last edited by Venator : 02-05-2004 at 05:25 PM.
Unread 02-04-2004, 02:14 AM   #6
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

The right trim can do wonders for a costume. Some of them are fairly detailed, and will add just that extra something you are looking for. I admire how you want to stay simple in stead of crazy complex. That's cool. I wasn't implying you should go insane with detail, but to do what you like. Maybe toss on a small flower or two near the dress straps? I think that could look nice - maybe bigger black ones with small red roses? or red ribbon? Or just a small red one on the black choker? Or if you like, toss in some gold. I have a black and red somewhat elvish dress that I used gold and red trim on, and it looked really good. No good pictures, though, sadly. I also bought stretch lace in black, and sewed them to fit my bicep, as a sleeve decoration. That could also be considered, instead of using ribbons. It looked really pretty.

Something else I think of when I see your images is velvet for the black. If you play with fabric textures, it might help you achieve the look you are going for. It could just be the way you colored it, though, too.

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Unread 02-04-2004, 03:28 PM   #7
Venator
Ach, mein Zahne!

Ah, thanks again ^_^ I'm actually having a friend of mine sew a flowery trim on the end of the sleeves and bottom of the dress, pretty close to the same color, if a little darker. I really like the flower idea on the straps and choker, though... I'll definitely take that into consideration when I go out looking for supplies. I'm not sure if there's going to be any gold on there, but I'll certainly talk to my sewing-enabled friend about it. As for stretch lace... as long as it isn't too expensive, I think I might use something like that. Seems like a really easy way to add a few more little details... I'll post some pictures once it's come a little further (Saturday or Sunday, maybe).
Other options I was considering were a large red symbol on the front of the black part, like that on Freya's dress in a certain pic... Other options I was looking at were a belt or sash to cinch the waist, maybe ending in a bow on the back. Though, I'm also trying to figure out what to do for the headband, and if there are any other places I could use the red ribbon, like that on her leg.

AB '06: Alchemy-no-Jutsu (Winner for Best Script and Acting)
Unread 02-04-2004, 04:59 PM   #8
*Jibrielle*
彡☆WEEEE☆彡

It looks very pretty I can't wait to see it ^__^
Unread 02-05-2004, 12:21 AM   #9
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

Oh, you could go crazy with the headband! Lolita style headbands are really easy to make and embellish - lots of ribbons, fake flowers, lace - you can go absolutely nuts! It might work as a good contrast to your costume, too, since you wanted to keep the costume itself fairly simple.

I wouldn't add anything around the waist, personally. If the dress fits well, you won't need it to define the curves. I also wouldn't add the symbol - people might think you were trying to recreate it, and get confused. Depending on where your dress does up, if you wanted to add red, maybe a thin line using ribbon down the side seams, ending in a cute bow at the bottom?

In Toronto and like kimono? Check out the Toronto Kimono Club!
Unread 02-05-2004, 03:30 PM   #10
Venator
Ach, mein Zahne!

Thank you, Jibrielle... I intend to have pictures up soon, like I said, so check back ^_^ It seems people like the basic design of the costume, which I'm very glad to hear.

Now... I do like the idea of a fancy headband, with maybe trim of some kind and ribbon, along with little flowers. I'll certainly be looking into that. Thanks for your opinions, Eleryth... Constructive criticism is really what I need, here. The dress fits fairly well, but isn't exactly form-fitting... I'm still looking into ways to get better hips, so I thought maybe it would help to make it curve in at the waist. However, I think I'll take your word for it... I didn't really think a sash would be appropriate for Freya, anyway. With the seam idea, I kinda like that... I'll try it out, once I get some ribbon. Again, thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it ^_^

Last edited by Venator : 02-05-2004 at 05:24 PM.
Unread 02-05-2004, 04:03 PM   #11
dani
Boots were made 4 walking

There are lengthy threads about hip supplements and reshaping in the crossplay board. Looks like you'll be wearing solid tights, which make it a lot easier.

Making the dress rounder at the hips with nothing to fill it won't look nice.

Enjoy...

Dani
dani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2004, 05:22 PM   #12
Venator
Ach, mein Zahne!

(nods) I've looked through them, and they are pretty helpful... However, I don't feel like spending $40 or more on the sites I've looked into, and I haven't quite located the materials necessary for that kind of padding. The construction and placement are really what I'm struggling with, but I'm sure I'll get it right, eventually. And you're right, the opaque tights are indeed a deliberate attempt to deal with several issues like this ^_^;