Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 07-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
kimonocrazy

Any ideas for a steampunk composer?

I have an idea that consist of a red/orange jacket, white button down shirt, black tie with gold/bronze gear on it, black vest with gold/bronze gears on it, black pants, and black shoes. I think this sounds fine, but I don't want my outfit to seem like I'm just throwing random gears on clothing and calling it steampunk. Thanks for any help you can give.
kimonocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Just like you said, don't throw gears on it for no reason. I would leave them off the vest at least. Maybe a tie pin that's a gear, but I wouldn't just put them on.

As a composer, I would think maybe you could carry a conductor's baton but steampunk it, maybe have some glasses that have all the different magnifying lenses like they are wearing them while they write, maybe some steampunked quills for writing, scrolls of parchment in a satchel, things like that. I would accent the costume with musical details more than gears. Maybe you can carry some sort of instrument and steampunk it.

Those are some quick thoughts I have for a composer at least.
Mehdia is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
kimonocrazy

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I could steampunk my recorder or wooden flute. I like the idea you gave me. Thank you so much for this. You don't know how much I need this help. Also how could I steampunk my instruments?
Unread 07-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I would look at what other people have done to steampunk regular items. Maybe see if you could add things that look like they help with the function of the instrument, like tubes or extra buttons or something on them. It's sort of one of those things that is definitely trial and error. If you are going to use one you already have, contemplate making it look metal. I think that would lend a hand to the steampunk look even more.
Unread 07-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
kimonocrazy

Ok. Also I thought of a cool idea for the baton. I could make it apart of my hand. I don't know if I would be able to do that, but its just an idea.
Unread 07-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

You could always do the baton as part of a glove with all the cogs and tubing that makes it look like you need those to move, like a mechanical hand.
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
kimonocrazy

Good idea! I like that idea, but I don't quite understand it. Sorry, I'm still pretty new to steampunk. I mean I know what it is and all I just don't understand the baton idea. What I thought of doing was taking a glove and putting baton like pieces on it.
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

You could have the glove look like your hand is made of mechanical parts and then have the baton look like it's an extension of the mechanics. almost like it can be extended and extracted whenever you need to use it, sorta like Wolverine's claws in the X-Men. Not that you would have to make it actually extract, but you could make it appear to do so, maybe have a spring around part of the bottom or something and a channel made of shaped metal or something that it would slide back into.
Unread 07-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
kimonocrazy

That sounds a bit hard to do, but I did think of taking something that I could paint to make look like a baton and attach it to the glove to make it look like may character has become so obsessed with composing that he cut his hand off and replaced it with a baton.
Unread 07-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Well, what I was suggesting wasn't to make it functional. But that is a good idea as well to make it look like the baton has replaced the hand. You could always do it like costumes that make pirates look like they have hook hands.
Unread 07-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
kimonocrazy

I think I'm going to go with that. Thank you for you help. I'll have to figure out how I'm going to do this.