Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #31
Purified Ace
Ace Pendragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuratyan View Post
Colored contacts are nice, but they don't matter much. For pictures, you could just take off your glasses/use your regular contacts if you happen to have any. As a fellow cosplayer, I myself wouldn't say anything about your cosplay being slightly incorrect just because of your eyes, because your eye color is just something that can't be helped, right? So yeah. Contacts, the price does rack up if you end up buying them for all your cosplays. So it might be better to not, especially in regards to how much money you want to spend on your cosplay overall.
Basically, this.

This is getting back to that cosplay ettiquette thing. Anyone who decides to comment on your costume "not being right" cause you've got different colored eyes, need some Nabe-Puchuu-Punchin'.

Even for a professional photoshoot, I'd say don't worry about it. If you really want, I'd say you can find someone (on this very site even) that can edit a photo to give you different colored eyes.

I'm speaking as someone who wants to improve his Gambit costume. However, because I have an astigmatism, I can never have sclera lenses. Ergo, I can never have Gambit's red irises and black scleras. But know what? I can live with that.

Unread 06-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #32
strawberrys&dog
Banned

It depends i think. For some characters, eye color is one of the most noticed or important things about the character, such as Matryoshka!Miku or Agito/Akito from Air Gear. In those cases, contacts are a must. But for others, like Haruhi Suzumiya or Maka eye color really isn't important. The important question is, how important is the eye color to the personality of this character.
strawberrys&dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #33
Ichie
Automail Mechanic

You can't change your eye colour and it's not worth sacrificing money or going out of your comfort zone.

To be honest, I don't think contact lenses are that important. If someone is not wearing contacts, I don't tend to notice. I think it's mostly a frivelous detail that isn't as important as other things such as shoes and a wig.

If, however - the character I'm cosplaying has an eye colour that is important to their character or kind of a singature thing such as Beyond Birthday or Misaki Mei - then I'm going to buy the contacts. If their eyes are a natural colour such as blue, grey or brown (I have brown eyes) then I'm not going to bother.

I saw one time that a Ciel Phantomhive cosplayer had splashed out what I think was $270 on one custom contact lense to replicate his eye.

I can appreciate you wanting to go into that much detail - but it's covered up by an eyepatch most of the time and whenever the character is in public. I don't see why you would want to spend so much money on something you could photoshop.
Ichie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #34
ChocoboxDreamer
Master Derper

I've recently been told that I should use contacts for my Reno cosplay. But I wear glasses for nearsightedness (I think that's what it is called... I can't see far away but up close is okay.) I know there are prescription and non-prescription contacts, but I still don't know about the cost, eye doctors and the sheer fact of placing something in my eyes. O.o
Tutankhamun - Eiyuu Senki (0% complete)

The Untold Stories of a Dreamer
Ethereal Whisper Photography
ChocoboxDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #35
Gummibar

I've never paid much attention to eye color....if people do nit pick about something so subtle, then they are most likely assholes. But anyways, it'd be more convenient to get regular prescription contacts or just go without. I know I do and I am fine, never ran into anyone before. *lol*
Gummibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 12:26 AM   #36
Devkyu

Colored contacts can sometimes add that extra "wow" to a costume, but are not necessary at all. I sometime get prescription colored lenses from my optometrist just for fun. To be honest, no one is really going to knock you for having the "wrong" eye color, people will be much more interested in the costume itself.

Even wearing glasses is fine. They're easy to take off. At one of the recent conventions I was at, on Sunday I was just tired and really did not feel like driving 3 hours with my contacts in after the final photoshoots were done, so I just wore my glasses to the Homestuck shoot and hid them behind my back during some photos. No one minded and some people even helped guide me back to the sidelines because I was so spectacularly blind, it was really sweet.
Unread 06-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #37
Rose of Battle
lolwut

I actually rarely notice in person when someone is wearing colored contacts -- even when the color is clearly unnatural. I'm usually more fascinated by the costume. If you're comfortable putting in contacts (which I'm not!) and you have the money for it and if you think it'll really enhance your costume, I say go for it! But you can also edit your eye color in pictures.

2014: Genericon, PAX East, Otakon

Tentative Otakon plans:
Friday: Leia (Tales of Xillia 2), Hikaru ~3D Land~ (Magic Knight Rayearth) // Saturday: Leia (Tales of Xillia 2) // Sunday: Momo ~Hoodie~ (Kagerou Project/MekakuCity Actors)
Rose of Battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #38
GunKatCosplay
GunKatCosplay

Color Contacts are not necessary, but regular contacts as opposed to taking your glasses on and off are a definite plus. I've done both and somewhere out there is a Tomoyo-megane-hime because people often don't ask for your picture before taking it. It always makes me giggle though, to wear costumes that have green eyes because my eyes are a very very vivid, true green. People are always coming up to me going "I love your contacts, where did you get them?" And I get to answer "Genetics" And poke myself in the eye to move around my contact to show that it is a clear contact.
GunKatCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #39
SukishoIsLove

I agree with most of what was said here. Contacts are a nice touch but not necessary at all, people are more interested in your costume not your eye color. Some people are fanatic about every last detail and get them but most I have seen don't.

Future Cosplay:
Asuna - SAO
Chihaya - Chihayafuru
Kasahara - Toshokan Sensou: Kakumei no Tsubasa
Sinbad - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
SukishoIsLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #40
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

I've seen a lot of people say color contacts are absolutely necessary, but with the number of costumes I do and the inability to get color contacts affordably in my prescription, I've left them off the plate. Thing is, I'd much rather spend my money on a good wig or a good fabric than contacts that I'll probably forget at home or hate because I can't actually see through them or be crushed because they don't show up in most pictures.

We choose our battles, and colored contacts are a battle I've declined.

As others have said, though, regular contacts are one of the greatest inventions for cosplayers. I wear contacts at cons while my husband refuses, and I'm SO glad I started doing that. It leaves me free to see everything without worrying about taking my glasses off, and it doesn't "ruin" the illusion that I'm actually the character when I go to panels or the vendor room.

EDIT: Having read Purified_Ace's answer, basically that about prescriptions. Astigmatism lenses are expensive as-is. Virtually no contacts you can get at a con or from China will be made for astigmatism. Acuvue has only just started offering colored astigmatism lenses, but they don't work for anyone with dark eyes. They'll just tint rather than being opaque.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!

Last edited by supergeekgirl : 06-22-2012 at 11:31 AM.
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #41
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Usually I only go for contacts when I feel the eye color is an important part of the character. Like if I'm doing a vampire from a series where they have red eyes, I'll spring for the contacts. If the character eye color is never really a plot point, I don't bother.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #42
kuroi_shi
Nerd Girl

No one knows the correct eye colour for every single character, so one one will notice... And if anyone says your costume is wrong because the eyes aren't right, they suck.
And besides, if a big budget movie like Harry Potter didn't worry about green contacts for Dan Radcliffe, you shouldn't worry about it either.

Last edited by kuroi_shi : 06-22-2012 at 11:46 AM.
kuroi_shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #43
Falclon

For me I find them necessary. That's due to several reasons though. For starters I wear prescription contacts everyday anyways so it's kind of just like why not? I'm also a huge perfectionist so I like having that last detail in there. I also just love having colored contacts, they're a lot of fun. It's funny to see people's faces when they realize your eyes are purple. xD Plus they're really not as expensive as people here are making them out to be unless you have some health concerns meaning you need specialty ones. On pinky Paradise they're only up to like $26 and some pairs are under $20 (that's for prescription too up to -10.00. I know they don't carry + though so I'm not sure how much those are). They claim they last a year but considering the price of my normal contacts, I think you get your money's worth with just a few wears.

Then again I do understand why people don't get them. Some people don't know how to wear lenses or are uncomfortable with them. Also if you have a crazy prescription they will probably cost more. If you don't know how to care for them they won't last as long, and for some that additional $30 is just too much to spend. So when it comes to others I don't really care about lenses, I just like having them.
Unread 06-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #44
TR Rose
Meowing About

As someone who's had glasses since 3rd grade, and contacts since 5th, wearing contacts isn't the issue - my terrible eyesight is. Because I have bad vision and astigmatism in both eyes, they simply DO NOT MAKE colored contacts in my prescription. So it would be a tradeoff of being able to see clearly (and enjoy the convention), or have colored contacts that most people would never notice, which cost as much as another whole costume (in the hundreds of dollars).

I once had a photographer 'shoop my eyes purple in a few photos, which was kind of interesting, but I really don't care if my eyes aren't accurate.

Personally, I'd rather see people put the money and effort into the costume details, the wig styling, and great poses than colored contacts. Usually I don't even notice if someone's eyes are accurate or not.
• 10th Doctor
TR Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #45
Blood_Sword
The samuraiholic guy

I think colored contacts are nice and add that little extra 'oomph' to an otherwise really good cosplay, but I don't think it's really neccessary unless the eye color is an obvious and much emphasized trademark of the character in some way. Most times I won't even notice that the cosplayer doesn't have the right eye color, especially not if the character has naturally colored eyes. Of course if you value little details like eye color and can afford contacts I'd say go for it, but if you'd rather spend the money on getting a better wig or costume then that's perfectly fine too.

My eyes are some weird gray-blue-green mix with a golden ring closest to the pupil and while not many characters have eyes like that I don't bother with contacts.. at least not yet. But maybe that's because I'm scared away of the thought of having to visit an eye doctor and yeah, all that care to keep 'em good. (I don't really mind touching my eyes all that much, but I remember once years ago an eye doctor gave me eye drops... it was one of the worst things in my life. lol)

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Team Aqua Grunt (male) - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Version

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Oulun animeseminaari (8-9 August 2014)
FRI Ryūnosuke Ibuki - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
SAT ???
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote