Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > AnimeNEXT

Unread 06-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

AnimeNext 2012: Feedback Thread

This thread is for posting your thoughts/opinions on ANext 2012!

From your experience this year, what were the pros and cons? What were the highlights and lowlights? Would you return again next year?

Also, you can discuss the particulars of the convention, such as the events, panels, masquerade, dances, etc., as well as what you thought about the con and hotel staff, the hotel, convention space, food, dealer's room, attendees, and whatever else pertaining to this year's AnimeNext.

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA) - FandomCon (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Suzie Q from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Edea Lee (various versions) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
lechaflan
Ryojabba Dojiwockee

I'm prob the first to start with a negative comment but I'll answer this thread in the form of answers toward TC's questions.

Pros: nice area/location. VERY solid gaming room compared to other smaller cons I've been to (this had much more to offer than LA's AnimeExpo!) and very solid dealers'/artist alley.
Cons/lowlights: the big thing that won't have me returning anytime soon is the layout. I don't know how big the actual convention center so I can't make a good enough judgement call but having to traverse across a busy street with no crossing guard just to get to another area of a con I find very annoying. Every other con I've been to were spaced within 1 building/block which is instant convenience with the exception of Otakon where other buildings have a safe way to travel via skyway halls. I can understand if it's a budget/location/scheduling thing but regardless, the layout itself is a big enough turnoff to have me not return.

Particulars: staff were on point. Very on the ball with directing and helping attendees out. Non-cafe foods/drinks are standard rate and made it very enjoyable to quickly find a place to eat/drink without super overcharged prices <3

Final note: Since NJ is my home state, I'd actually like to see AnimeNEXT be hosted in a bigger con center (like maybe this one place in Secaucus) if budget allows or at least have the layout be absolutely revamped to bring convenience to all ppl.
Ryotaro Dojima (Persona 4): Otakon 2009, New York Anime Festival 2009, VG Expo 2009, PAX East 2010, Anime Expo 2010, Otakon 2010, New York Anime Festival/Comic-con 2010, Otakon 2011, AnimeNEXT 2012, New York Comic-con 2012, Otakon 2013
Hubert Oswell (Tales of Graces f): Otakon 2013
lechaflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
haru_sohma_lvr
You shiver with antici

Quote:
Originally Posted by lechaflan View Post

Final note: Since NJ is my home state, I'd actually like to see AnimeNEXT be hosted in a bigger con center (like maybe this one place in Secaucus) if budget allows or at least have the layout be absolutely revamped to bring convenience to all ppl.
Just want to point out that the convention used to be in Seacaucus but it got way too big for the Seacaucus convention center which was why they moved it to Somerset.

But, to stay on topic, I was very unhappy with having to walk all the way around the outside of the convention center in order to get to the dealer's room. If that was going to happen (I learned from staff that it was a last minute thing that nobody knew was coming), a wooden path of some sort should have been laid across the grass to make it easier for people to walk. I had a cosplay that I couldn't get to the dealer's room in because my shoes made it nearly impossible to walk in the grass. It was incredibly irritating and I ended up only going to the dealer's room twice the entire weekend because of it.

Everything other than that was fine. Um, I wish the panel schedule was more diverse. I didn't go to a single panel this year because none of them seemed particularly interesting. but that's about it.
Unread 06-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
touchmon
Make All The Things!

I agree about the dealers room. Honestly, I really did not expect that we would need to line up outside for it and I found it very annoying that we had to walk around the building just to get to it. Also it seems like there were much more people here than last year and although that is great there seemed to be too many people in a small area. I'm thinking AN is going to need to move to a bigger convention center or impose a cap or something. :/

Overall though, it was a fun con like it has been for the past two years that I went. ^_^

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
KeronSHB

Pros: A lot of good people to meet, a nice handful of helpful staffers.
Cons: Trash. I usually don't complain about trash, but my god the area by the red dock was ridiculous.
Very rude cosplayers, I didn't have too much of a problem with this but there were a lot of people who were jerks.
Staffers. Not all the staffers were bad, a handful were fun but a lot of them just had a very bad attitude and were yelling at people when approached.
The dealers room situation. The hallway that was usually used to enter the dealers room wasn't even used this year, there was no reason to have us walk around on the rough terrain to make us get there, especially since it had 3 exits but one entrance at LEAST balance out the entrances. Two entrances, two exits.
KeronSHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

I grantee the dealers room is going to be the biggest complaint. I understood why they did it, there was just far too many people to be walked that narrow walk way. It was a hassle, yes. But needed to be done.

Also there seemed to be ALOT more people here this year. I'm thinking they will need to move to a larger place next year. The walk way between the convention center and the hotel always is a pain to walk across. But this year, with so many people, it felt like it took so much longer then it needed too (especially when people just stop in the middle to take photos...sorry pet peeve)

One thing I always love about this con is that the staff is well informed and knows what they are doing. I did three panels this year and every one of the staff members who helped me out where....well helpful! They made sure I had everything set before they let people in, helped me set up chairs. The staff here is always so great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeronSHB View Post
Cons: Trash. I usually don't complain about trash, but my god the area by the red dock was ridiculous..
Oh God YES! That really kind got to me. Like really there were trash cans 20 or so feet away from you. You could walk up and put the trash in there. Yeah so ridiculous...

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook

Last edited by Tangledinblue : 06-10-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
vampricyoda
VampricYoda

Eh. All of my concerns/issues were really more about the way the place was trashed. Con staff was on point and I didn't really see any issues anywhere. I found the dealer's room very well done. I understand the reasons for the outside bits.

I don't get the complaints of it being crowded. If anything I thought attendance was down until a few staffers told me it was actually up. It really never felt massively crowded.
vampricyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
MrParadox
Friend or Foe

I understand the reason the entrance to the dealer's room was outside and honestly, compared to the last couple of years it is the lesser of two evils. I do think that the staff should point out that you can reach the dealer's room from the front of the convention center and I think they should allow special entrances to those that either have a disability or have a very constraint costume. Fortunately it didn't rain or there would have been a crisis.

Really, the only problem I had was the fire alarm going off at 3 in the morning but that is no way AnimeNEXT's or the hotels fault and the fact that two drunken idiots playing with the fire extinguishers shows that we may need more precautions towards stupidity. I hope they can hire nighttime staff for security so something like that won't happen again.

Otherwise I had fun and enjoyed my first (kinda) serious attempt at cosplay photography. I hope next year I can do both cosplaying and improving my photography.
Unread 06-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
FunnyValentine
See You Space Cowboy

Great Artist Alley this year, such talent. I was very rarely in a crowded spot. People loved my Inuyasha group. My boyfriend's first cosplay as Sanosuke from Rurouni Kenshin(guy with big sword) recieved so many positive comments and that made me happy.

Cons: People not being careful around weapons. I think there should be a panel on weapon etiquette, the person carrying them and the people around them. Absolutely nothing on Sunday except Cosplay Chess, hope next year has at least a panel I would be a little interested in on Sunday.

Facebook Cosplay Page
DeviantArt
FunnyValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
MoradoFlower
Stephanie-Lynn

Pros: Lots of fun activities, and the panels were well done (the ones I went to)

Cons: Etiquette. So many people asking for hugs, or just flat out glomping. I don't mind when females ask to hug me (some little girl diglett hugged me, it made my day!) but when males come up asking for hugs...or just hug me without asking...it's uncomfortable.

*Mallow (Mario RPG)
*Sylveon (Pokemon; Gijinka)
MoradoFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyValentine View Post
Cons: People not being careful around weapons. I think there should be a panel on weapon etiquette, the person carrying them and the people around them.
Definitely agree about the people being carful with weapons. I had about three feet of swords behind me and countless number of people just kept on running into them. It was getting really annoying after a while. I tried my best not to have them get in anyones way, but people really just need to keep a close eye out for things like that.

Also you mentioned people carrying weapons as well, which, again, I agree with. A few times I was smacked in the face with swords and other things. And no one said sorry, I had one guy almost come really close to hitting me with a large sword. And he turned around, saw I was there after he did it (and after his friend even told him to be carful) didn't say sorry. It was just very rude. If I accidentally hit someone with my swords (which I admit, it did happen) I was super apologetic.

Lack of etiquette in general really got to me at this con as well. I mentioned the whole trash thing before. It would have been nice to see people hold doors open for people, not stop in the middle of narrow walkways....you know stuff like that.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook

Last edited by Tangledinblue : 06-11-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
FunnyValentine
See You Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangledinblue View Post
Definitely agree about the people being carful with weapons. I had about three feet of swords behind me and countless number of people just kept on running into them. It was getting really annoying after a while. I tried my best not to have them get in anyones way, but people really just need to keep a close eye out for things like that.

Also you mentioned people carrying weapons as well, which, again, I agree with. A few times I was smacked in the face with swords and other things. And no one said sorry, I had one guy almost come really close to hitting me with a large sword. And he turned around, saw I was there after he did it (and after his friend even told him to be carful) didn't say sorry. It was just very rude. If I accidentally hit someone with my swords (which I admit, it did happen) I was super apologetic.

Yes. My boyfriend was Sanosuke from Rurouni Kenshin. I was originally going to cosplay Megumi, but I stuck with my barely known Kasumi Tendo from Ranma 1/2 just so I could help him navigate through the convention and swipe away people about to bump into his hard work.

I was also Sango from Inuyasha on Saturday and so many people fucking just ran into my boomerang. If they weren't doing that, they didn't give me any space to walk. It's not like the weapon was a hassle to hold, I have strong arms for a woman and I could carry it easily, some of the people around me made it difficult.

Just a little added piece...some girl literally just kept tripping my over my boomerang..she tripped once but just kept kicking it. I'm glad she said sorry or else I would've said something, but still...still..idk.

Facebook Cosplay Page
DeviantArt

Last edited by FunnyValentine : 06-11-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Unread 06-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
FunnyValentine
See You Space Cowboy

Oh, I mean, obviously my biggest con was someone stole my camera and when I went to file a report to lost and found they all just stared at me like I was a fucking weirdo because I was crying over a camera I cherished and have owned for years, that was a good time.

Facebook Cosplay Page
DeviantArt
Unread 06-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #14
CosZelkova
BlueJay

I didn't get to go this year but I'd been the last few years. My bf was there this year and told me all about it though. So I figured I'd just make a mention about the con layout.

Last year I was a dealer, but even I was complaining about the layout of the con (I didn't get to leave my table much though). It seems like the staff at AnimeNext have never really found a good solid determined layout any year I've been there. I think when they find a good layout that works best then there'll be a lot less issues.
New York Anime Fest 2013

2013 Season Completed Cosplays:
Apple Jack
Mandalorian Bounty Hunter
OC Miraluka ex-Sith with orange lightsaber (undergoing revamp)

2013 Season In-Progress Cosplays:
Red Card Katarina (LoL) - 89%
Mafia Miss Fortune (LoL) - 62%

2014 Planned Cosplays:
Metabee = 1% (gathering references and materials)
MLP Prisoner Cadance = 1% (Gathering references and designing outfit)
Undecided
CosZelkova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #15
dollylovey123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoradoFlower View Post
Pros: Lots of fun activities, and the panels were well done (the ones I went to)

Cons: Etiquette. So many people asking for hugs, or just flat out glomping. I don't mind when females ask to hug me (some little girl diglett hugged me, it made my day!) but when males come up asking for hugs...or just hug me without asking...it's uncomfortable.
I agree. I mean more so on just plan Etiquette. There were many people who did not take to con courtesy. I'm not sure it's because cons are becoming more mainstream or people are becoming rude. I'm happy to see more fans but I'm not happy to see the random people who didn't seem to appreciate anything. I even over heard a few girls complaining about not getting enough attention on their cosplays. What happened to enjoying everyone else's cosplays and having fun in an otaku environment?

Other then that it felt alot like last year and I didn't mind the walking around for the vendors even in my large heels XD.
dollylovey123 is offline   Reply With Quote