Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Site Headquarters

Unread 05-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Small Forum Issues - Temporary

Because we're using a mix of the new layout and the old forums, a few things will look odd until the rest of the site is open. This is because a few CSS rules are being rewritten by the new layout. You'll notice things like dropdowns and buttons in the Reply box looking weird, and a few weird spacings on a couple of account pages.

Since the forums work, this was a low priority to create a temporary fix for, but it will correct itself when the other sections are open. Sorry about that. I wanted to get the forums open sooner rather than later.
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Quick Reply should be working again.
Unread 05-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
SunsetSovereign

Every time I pull up cosplay.com on my computer I get a message that it is a risky connection and was blocked by my antivirus. Will the no longer happen once all the updates are complete? Im worried I will not be able to use this site again.
Unread 05-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

That shouldn't be happening. The only thing I can think of is to try clearing out your cache or checking the antivirus settings for this specific site. Not sure what antivirus you're using, but there might be a setting to reset specific sites?
Unread 05-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Caboose1

So far every time I've tried uploading a photo it says it has uploaded and to wait 2 mins before seeing it in my gallery. I uploaded it this morning but it still isn't being shown on my profile.
Caboose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

I'm not showing any photos uploaded in your account since the changeover, that would mean that the image didn't upload for some reason. Can you try again and tell me if you get any other messages after uploading?
Unread 05-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
Caboose1

I'm only getting these messages "Please allow up to two minutes for your photo to appear in the gallery.
Upload Results
Next Step
Upload More Photos

Photo Album Administration Page" I can post a print screen of it, if you want. Thank you for helping ^_^
Caboose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Sending you a PM.
Unread 05-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

fyi on older browsers, the scrolling is REALLY slow and jerky. It honestly behaves much like facebook does, which is not a good thing in any book. it takes longer to scroll down the forums to find a topic than it does to type a reply. Is this something that will eventually settle down when the final fix is finished?

Upgrading browsers is not an option. It laughed at me when I tried to go to firefox 12. Either I shell out hundreds of nonexistent dollars for a new computer or stop using cosplay.com at some point when the scrolling becomes a headache.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
fyi on older browsers, the scrolling is REALLY slow and jerky. It honestly behaves much like facebook does, which is not a good thing in any book. it takes longer to scroll down the forums to find a topic than it does to type a reply. Is this something that will eventually settle down when the final fix is finished?

Upgrading browsers is not an option. It laughed at me when I tried to go to firefox 12. Either I shell out hundreds of nonexistent dollars for a new computer or stop using cosplay.com at some point when the scrolling becomes a headache.
Is it only the forums doing this on your computer, or is it every section? The other sections are actually more lightweight than they were before, but we haven't done anything with the forums yet.
Unread 05-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
thatanimekid
Nothing Special

I just want to say that there the CSS is pretty much nonexistent when I'm on the site. Everything appears in a basic HTML form (eg, no buttons or formatting or anything, just lists of text links). Sorry if this is just happening to everyone and is normal and stuff, but I thought I should just bring it up ^_^'

dA: firestixian.deviantart.com
tumblr: schediaphile.tumblr.com

thatanimekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

What browser are you using?
Unread 05-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Sorry for the delay - to be honest I really don't go to other sections of the site often if at all. But since you mentioned it, I checked, and lo and behold, all parts of the site have a very slow, jerky scrolling on my older browser. I was hoping it was just a forums thing since you're still using the older code, but if the costume and gallery pages are just the same...oops?

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #14
errido
Milzarr

Just a small problem, not particularly an issue.
I noticed that the market place has a different default setting for showing threads. I believe that is an adjustment to the repeatedly reported "bumping" problem. However, I don't particularly feel the adjustment is working, though it was fixed with good intent.

Because the default sets threads to be viewed as newly started threads first, the bumping issue is gone, and now the forum is filled with new commissioners who we are not familiar with. I'm not saying that they can't be any good, it is wrong for the reputed commissioners were once new, but that many commissioners who started the trade earlier can be good as well. Now that the default setting is changed, their threads go way back, at least not on the front pages, and I think they deserve better exposure, at least as much as the new commissioners, to be fair.

Something that people would try to do is to start new threads, just to get them to the front page in the default setting, even though it's not working with the market place rule. Its characteristic not different than bumping, but worse, because people give up the positive comments they had in older posts. And this is not beneficial to anyone, the buyer, the seller, as well as cosplay.com

Change the default setting to options other than "Thread Start Time" doesn't help much either.

Yes, it is true that viewers can change ways threads are shown, but I have to say the option is rather unnoticeable, down at the bottom, in light gray (actually, I didn't find it out until just now. I've spent days trying to figure out what's wrong). New comers might not know that the market forum is especially different than other forums. Older viewers who were used to the setting might not even know it exists!

Now that the problem has been raise, I believe it shouldn't be over looked. You (person or group, whoever participated in the maintenance) can choose to set the default as same as the other forums, which is "Last Post Time". But then the "bumping" problem is not fixed, though I believe the issue is more severe now. I'm not a big bump person. Out of the 16 comments I received, one was me bumping, and I don't plan to do it in the future unless necessary.

Or, if you are not afraid of too much work, you can adjust the market place specifically. Maybe when showing thread by last reply, ignore the replies from the owner of the thread, or anyone who has already commented before. I'm sure this would require a lot of work, so you can simply ban the action of "bumping".

I have been to a lot of cosplay forums, including ACP and Cosplay Island, but none of them has as good, ordered market place like cosplay.com has. I would hate to see cosplay.com lose this advantage, and I earnestly wish this problem can be fixed soon.

Thank you for taking time to read this long comment ;P

Cosplay plans:

Nikon D7000+35mm F/1.8
errido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #15
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!

I like the new lay out so far, but it is a little buggy, but it's understandable since they're working on the site and such. The only new thing I don't like is when your typing text in your reply box every where on the site, the forums and your inbox that the text is greyed out. The only reason I don't like it is it makes me think my text isn't being written out even though it is. Like I'm not sure how to explain it if any one knows what I'm talking about.
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3 (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Yukiko Alt Color - Persona 3/Persona 4 Arena (planned)
Catherine - Catherine (planned)
Sebastian - Black Butler (planned)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote