Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Closed Thread
Unread 02-02-2004, 08:14 AM   #1
Ami
Grand Maester Mercury

Bathroom When Crossplaying

I was wondering when your in full costume and you have to use the faclities at a con or party or whatever, depending on if your a guy crossplaying as a girl char or a girl crossplaying as a guy char, which bathroom do you use and how do you decide..... I was just wondering because that little issue lodged in my head this morning when I was thinking.......

Unread 02-02-2004, 09:11 AM   #2
Sala
Cosplay Afficionado

Um, for the sake of decency, please use the bathroom assigned to your physical gender. I think people of the opposite gender who have nothing to do with crossplay would be quite put-out if someone of the opposite gender were using their restroom...
As a woman I would feel much more uncomfortable using a men's restroom, because little/no privacy is offered to those using the urinals. I would feel very pervy going into the men's restroom as I am a woman. For men using the women's restroom, it's not so big a deal, because the stall doors shield most outside influences. Unfortunately, there's also the issue of men dressing like women just to get inside the women's lavatory to peep on the girls. I know that the chances of this happening are slim-to-none, but it could happen...

CLICK HERE for Completed and/or Retired Costumes

Last edited by Sala : 02-02-2004 at 03:43 PM.
Unread 02-02-2004, 09:18 AM   #3
KuroBara
dog of the military

*laughs* A friend's mother, who is an excellent costumer, wore a Jack Sparrow costume to the school she teaches at for Halloween. It was excellent, even I didn't recognize her in the photos or think she was a woman. The kids loved it, but when she went to the ladies room a first grader gasped and told her teacher "A man just went into the girls room!" That was probably the biggest compliment she could receive.

Despite your outward appearance, always use the bathroom that matches your physical gender, as AnimeRei3 said.
Unread 02-02-2004, 09:41 AM   #4
dani
Boots were made 4 walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami
I was wondering when your in full costume and you have to use the faclities at a con or party or whatever, depending on if your a guy crossplaying as a girl char or a girl crossplaying as a guy char, which bathroom do you use and how do you decide..... I was just wondering because that little issue lodged in my head this morning when I was thinking.......
The issue is a complex one, and it has many factors.

I happen to know a bit about it, because I've been participating for years in gender related organizations. The issue has been debated at length with lawyers and lawmakers and it has even brough to court more than once.

The basic elements IN CANADA are:

- There is NO LAW requiring someone to use a specific washroom. Trying to enforce it has been challenged as a cosntitutional issue.

- There ARE laws about public disturbance, harrasment and proper behaviour.

- The safety of ALL is the goal, including the crossdressed person and other washroom patrons.

Considering all that, the rules I (and many knowledgeable people I know) follow are:

- When at a con or other gathering where crossdressing is expected, I'd use the male washroom.

- When the aspect and behaviour is unmistakeably a joke, a parody or a performance, I'd use the male washroom.

- At a public place where the aspect and behaviour would be similar to any other female, I'd use the female washroom. Some might not like it but it's the safest course of action, and sanctioned by the court to boot.

The final question is: in which washroom would I cause the least disturbance ot others, and less potential for danger to me? Only you can answer that, and the law (at least here in Ontario) will support you in your decision.

As a reference, here is the POLICY ON DISCRIMINATION AND HARASSMENT BECAUSE OF GENDER IDENTITY of the Ontario Human Rights Commission.
http://www.ohrc.on.ca/english/public...y-policy.shtml
Does it apply to you? it might, it might not, but you can see it is NOT a cut-and-dry issue as having certain surgery or not.

Enjoy....
Dani
Unread 02-02-2004, 10:55 AM   #5
neko rinchan
certified organic

i personally don't see a problem with the bathroom thing. i'm a girl, and when crossplaying a guy i use the girl's bathroom. even if i *look* like a guy, there isn't a problem because there are stalls for privacy, and if i weird some people out, who cares.
i won't use a boy's bathroom because of the urinals (tht would weird me out walking in and somebody was using one) unless there's a really long line to the girl's bathroom, the boy's bathroom is empty and i don't feel like waiting... but i digress...
if a guy is crossdressing as a girl, and is comfortable using the male bathroom while in costume, go for it (even though they might weird out the other male occupants). but if they want to use the girl's bathroom, i still don't see a problem, because there are still stalls for privacy. if i saw a crossplayer in the "wrong" bathroom, i wouldn't be offended, i'd find it funny.
people should stop being anal and uptight about things that don't really matter. who cares what bathroom you use, because it is not a big deal and should not be a big deal.
Unread 02-02-2004, 12:53 PM   #6
Mizuno Tenshi
Shiawase wa itsumo.

I'd have to agree with Neko_Rinchan. While it may seem sexist, it makes more sense for a guy dressed as a girl to be able to use the female washroom than for a girl dressed as a guy to use the male one. Female restrooms don't have the "exposure factor", and for a crossdressed male, a bunch of females are less likely to give a beating. But at a con or such, where crossplay is expected, I'd suggest using the appropriate washroom. ^__^

Tenshi

"Normal is for those who can't do any better." - Me
Unread 02-02-2004, 02:36 PM   #7
Gren
Gender Bender

At a con, use your appropriate bathroom. I don't care how much you look like the opposite. If it's really really something you agonize over, find a friend with a room.
Unread 02-02-2004, 02:43 PM   #8
chibi_kitsune
creator of my own world

Well if your really a girl then use the girls bathroom and if your really a guy then use the guys bathroom. A lot of people at cons crossplay so I think they would understand.

"I'm delicious, no one should taste this delicious!"

Planned/future cosplys-
Derek Stiles and Victor Niguel-Trauma Center (Second Opinion version)
Daria Morgendorffer-Daria
Mei Terumi (the fifth Mizukage) and Konan-Naruto (Manga version)
Lin Beifong and Tahno from Legend of Korra

Last edited by chibi_kitsune : 02-02-2004 at 02:47 PM.
Unread 02-02-2004, 03:00 PM   #9
Ragresen
Dazed and Confused

When Crossplaying if you have to go just take a break back to your room and deal with it. But if an Emergancy go to the restroom of your gender not the gander you are crossplaying.

The Kozi Cosplayer!
Unread 02-02-2004, 03:32 PM   #10
Lyn
ginga bishonen

I must admit, I've had times where I was going to the girls' room and felt almost guilty about it because of my attire. lol Always makes for a good laught amoungst my friends whenever I have to use the bathroom.

But I would NEVER use the men's bathroom. o_o Even if the ladies room has a really long line, I wait my turn instead of going into the men's like some girls will do when they're impatient. ^^;
Unread 02-02-2004, 05:37 PM   #11
Starlit Rose
Breaking out of my cage

Heh, I myself would never use the men's restroom when cosplaying (unless I REALLY had to go and there was a long line for the women's and the men's was empty =P then I'd have someone watch out for me XD). It would be too akward for both me and the guys standing at the urinals. o.O; So yeah, hehe. Always the women's for me otherwise, no matter now convincing I looked. =P Now, I don't have a problem with a guy crossplaying coming into the girl's restroom since we have stalls and such. I think it would be amusing more than offending.

And just a note - the picture of me in the men's restroom in my gallery WAS checked by a (guy) friend before entering. XD
Levi - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 100%
3DM Gear - Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin - 90% (needs repairs)
Lux (classic skin) - League of Legends - 10%

Facebook || Tumblr
Unread 02-02-2004, 06:30 PM   #12
L to the 3rd
aka Scrawny Squall

crossplaying or not i say use the restroom that u would normally use outside of costume.. usually when 'm crossplaying as a male, i try to go
in my hotel bathroom.. but if i really have to go go, i take off a my jacket or some part of my costume prior to entry, to show my feminity.
Unread 02-02-2004, 07:39 PM   #13
Ami
Grand Maester Mercury

wow thats alot of different opinions.... ok so the general idea is that some people like it the same some dont care some prefer it safe the other way.... I my self dont have to worry about ill go wherever its convient... so yeah alot of opions and i thank everybody and look foward to the rest of your comments, im also guessing the same laws appy for washington state.. i got some research to do....
Unread 02-02-2004, 07:39 PM   #14
Skullez
BOO !!

heh i use the girls bathroom even when i cros play a dude.
lol ppl seem to get a kick outa it =^.^= ! lol but at the awa9 this year i had to have my frien mike help put on my costume for Suu from clover cuz of the damn wings!!! we had alouta tape! all cuz the harnest broke!!!

Site of art and cosplay.

http://www.heisestudios.com
Unread 02-02-2004, 08:15 PM   #15
Cait

That's one of the taboos of Western Society, isn't it? Honestly, its just another room. I'll automatically go to the girls restroom, but if dared, or if the line was trajicly long, I'd use the mens. I don't care if I was in costume or not, let alone crossplaying.... ^_^'''' We do this all the time at work with the staff bathrooms. Forty girls and three boys... you kind of have to! Its not like you're going to be shot on site, you know? I've even casually walked into the men's locker room in a low traffic time. Most people don't really care.
Closed Thread