Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 06-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
GrimAngelYuki
#1 Procrastinator

Dead Master Scythe Materials help?

Hello! I'm planning to make Dead Master's scythe but the problem is that I'm having trouble deciding which is the best material to use to make her scythe.
Scythe reference: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2tE-IJgFdk...0/DSC02741.jpg
Dead Master reference:http://www.nekomagic.com/figure_news...d_master03.jpg

The most common method I've seen would be to carve and sand the blade part out of blue/pink insulation foam but I'm not sure if it is harmful to my health while sanding down the foam. I live in an apartment and don't have a big outdoor space to work in.

Has anyone used insulation foam before and can tell me more about it?
And also what are some other alternatives I can use to make her scythe?
GrimAngelYuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
darth_horo
This is my scary face

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimAngelYuki View Post
Hello! I'm planning to make Dead Master's scythe but the problem is that I'm having trouble deciding which is the best material to use to make her scythe.
Scythe reference: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2tE-IJgFdk...0/DSC02741.jpg
Dead Master reference:http://www.nekomagic.com/figure_news...d_master03.jpg

The most common method I've seen would be to carve and sand the blade part out of blue/pink insulation foam but I'm not sure if it is harmful to my health while sanding down the foam. I live in an apartment and don't have a big outdoor space to work in.

Has anyone used insulation foam before and can tell me more about it?
And also what are some other alternatives I can use to make her scythe?
Though I haven't worked with insulation Foam for cosplay, generally speaking (and given your predicament), I would say you could always get yourself a air filter/breathing mask - I've used it when working with bondo. However, that being said, it will leave quite the mess in your apartment, as is the case when sanding any sort of material. If you're pressed for space, definitely try and avoid carpet (a solid and flat surface - such as tile - is preferable for cleaning after).

If you have a balcony, try and utilize that space as best you can to avoid cleaning and having sanded dust particles running around your room. And be sure to vacuum afterwards, because that stuff is going to stick like a madman on furniture/carpet.

For alternatives - honestly, I would probably stick to what you have now (for top of the line, I would suggest wood but that requires tools, space and skill/time). There are probably other materials that can be used, but I think would be more suited to doing other prop pieces, not something of this considerable length. That's just my initial look at the project.

Fan Expo 2013:
First Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Anime North Cosplay 2014:
First Costume: Dark Angel's Space Marine - Warhammer 40k: 0%
Second Costume: Commissar Lord - Warhammer 40k: Completed/Touch Up

Quote:
"To me guardsmen, to me! This is your last stand! No doubts, NO FEAR." - Commissar Lord Bernn
darth_horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
GrimAngelYuki
#1 Procrastinator

Thanks for your input! I chose insulation foam because of the lightness of the material. I guess I will have to wear a mask and vacuum every time I sand a piece off haha.
GrimAngelYuki is offline   Reply With Quote