Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 06-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
TikaMoo

Best material to make Horns and to attach to a wig?

Hi I'm new to this site and fairly new to cosplay, I've only done 3 so far.

I'm doing a Spyro the Dragon gijinka for an upcoming con in the fall.

I'm going to get a sleek short purple wig. What would be the best thing to make the horns and spikes out of to attach to the wig :/

thanks
TikaMoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
novaraven1

anything you want to make them out of and attach felt the same colour as your wig to the bottom of them so you can sew them onto your wig through the felt.

Some people hand carve and sand things out of pink insulation foam and paint them, some use quilted fabric and stuff them, some glue rings of craft foam together that are hollow into your tube/horn shape. You can even sculpt them out of oven bake clay called sculptey or fimo and keep them light by filling the center part with tinfoil. Other people even go all out and sculpt with real clay, make a mold, and then cast the final product out of latex. Theres a way you can keep them super light that way by only brushing the latex into the mold in a thin coat like a skin and stuffing the finished horn so it holds its shape.

The key to success is to keep them light so they won't droop and weigh your wig down uncomfortably. Just choose your method, whichever one you think you feel most comfortable working with and fits your time/budget.
Unread 06-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
sinsoo
Sinsoo

Nova already recommended the way I did my troll horns. I highly recommend following this method.
A note about their attachment method, I had a hard time using the snaps. I had to cut a couple wefts in my wig in order for them to properly work, and even then one horn kept popping off. However my friend used the same method and had no problem.
You may want to check out the horns tag on Homestuckcosplayhelp. They have a bunch of recommendations for attachment and how to make horns!
Unread 06-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
TikaMoo

thank you both so much! this is perfect.
TikaMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

That a great tutorial and I like the snap system for small light weight horns they used. For larger horn I commander a head band and screw on system (bolts in the horn and screw attached to the band).

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote