Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > New York Comic Con

Unread 02-02-2004, 09:55 PM   #1
echocharlie

BAAF update! 02/02/2004

Posted on their website:

Many fans have been asking about plans for BAAF 2004. We are very moved to see the groundswell of support popping up in various anime forums, including the BAAF forums on this website. To give everyone a sense of when information will be forthcoming, here is an update:

Overall situation: The 2004 Republican National Convention is taking place in New York City from August 26 to September 3 (the Friday of Labor Day Weekend). Most of the delegates are staying over for the Labor Day Weekend, so almost all hotel rooms in New York are sold out during that period. The Times Square Marriott Marquis, site of BAAF 2003, is not available to BAAF this year during Labor Day Weekend for this reason, nor are any other hotels capable of holding a large scale fan event. The enclosed map will show how almost all Manhattan hotels have been sold out for the convention. Furthermore, security plans for the Times Square area during this period will be intensive, with bag searches and metal detectors for all people entering the area (just like during New Year's Eve).

Because of the success of BAAF 2003, with over 12,000 attendees (not counting the additional industry professionals, guests of honor, and media), BAAF will require a much larger venue for 2004 and beyond, if it is to continue to offer the traditional "three-ring circus" of film festival, dealer room, and fan panels, and to allow room for new fans to participate.

The basic choices facing BAAF 2004 are:

a) Move to a later time in the year, and hold the traditional event in Times Square, but limit attendance to prevent overcrowding of the hotel. We would probably cut back to a capacity of about 10,000 attendees, to reduce overcrowding.

b) Hold BAAF during Labor Day Weekend, but not in Times Square, and not on the traditional scale (for example, just hold a film festival at a movie theater in Manhattan, with no dealer rooms or fan panels).

c) Skip 2004, and plan for 2005 instead.

d) Do something else.

Because BAAF is an industry consortium, it is necessary to assemble a lot of companies and people to make these decisions. Meetings have been scheduled for late February in New York, and late March in Tokyo, to allow discussions to take place. Accordingly, we don't expect to post any further updates concerning BAAF 2004 until after April 1, 2004.

Please note that any official announcements will be posted here on this homepage.
echocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-03-2004, 09:10 AM   #2
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Ah the joys of cut n paste.

We'll I'm hoping that it's pushed back this year, to say around Halloween. Like it was the first year, back in 2k1. Sides My October's free now, seeing how animeNEXT was bumped up to June this year, I'm gonna need something to do.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2004, 05:03 PM   #3
Wolfwood6
Camera Obscura

Hmmm, Any thought to booking the Jacob Javitz Center? It's a bit far but any thought of overcrowding will be gone, Even if you just book a portion. It'll be enough to hold well over 10,000 people. You guys at BAAF should also look into Downtown NYC For a large venue, Or spreading BAAF a little further apart, Several Smaller Hotels Instead of 1 large hotel and one or two fan venues (Theaters and the like) and since the republicans HAAAAAD to choose NYC, Perhaps it would be best to move the convention its original 2k1 Date, I think it was late september?

These are just my opinions, i could be wrong

Costumes:

Nicholas D. Wolfwood if he was
A PHOTOGRAPHER!!!!
Wolfwood6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2004, 09:41 PM   #4
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwood6
Jacob Javitz Center?
I think the Jacob Javitz Center is extremely out of the way. The subways don't even go out that far west.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2004, 11:06 PM   #5
TyJILDown
...rawr!~

Plus the COSTS of running the Javitz center...not cheap...plus no gaurantee of the same amount coming this year as last year.
Unread 02-04-2004, 03:59 PM   #6
angryBAZ
Banned

i hope i can still go! it will be my first con!
angryBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2004, 09:54 AM   #7
RoboGundam6
Second Life Addict

WHo the hell's bright idea of booking the 2004 BAAF during the RNC?!

Hold it during October?! MAybe.. but DURING a weekend plz, we have lives too, or earlier in the year like August or something...

Dam poltics messing everything up again...
Unread 02-05-2004, 03:03 PM   #8
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

I think it should be moved to a different date...later in the year when there aren't any cons and we all need something to do on the weekend. And yes, since AnimeNEXT WAS moved to the summer, it would seem logical, ne? Location-wise, they should either keep it there or find a better location that is convenient for people. And the over-crowding issue does leave me a bit concerned, lol...no one likes to be in a huge crowd. o.O

*~Hime no Toki~*

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, Edea Lee (various costmes) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2004, 04:41 PM   #9
KaineMaxwell
Don't mess with mutants

This sucks...

Shinigami Photos
KaineMaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2004, 04:57 PM   #10
Eriol
Chiaroscuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboGundam6
Hold it during October?! MAybe.. but DURING a weekend plz, we have lives too, or earlier in the year like August or something...

Anime cons are held on weekends.

2012 Convention Schedule
Steampunk Worlds Fair | Otakon
Eriol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2004, 05:36 PM   #11
angryBAZ
Banned

why not sometime in july?
Unread 02-05-2004, 05:53 PM   #12
lordinuyasha366
Banned

i just hope it is its going to be my first con n e way any 1 under 17 want to meet up
lordinuyasha366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2004, 06:26 PM   #13
PatrickD
As seen in Dramacon vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBAZ
why not sometime in july?
July's PACKED...and also includes the two biggest anime conventions in North America...Otakon and Anime Expo. It's a BAD month for another fairly large convention. Generally speaking, the whole summer is already packed.

If I had to pick a time of the year to put an anime con, the best choices (depending where in the country it's held) would be March, mid-October, or early November.

Check my con list at www.anime-cons.com and you'll see what I mean.
Use AnimeCons.com and the AnimeCons.com Forums to find anime cons near you!
PatrickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2004, 06:08 PM   #14
angryBAZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordinuyasha366
i just hope it is its going to be my first con n e way any 1 under 17 want to meet up
hey man i wanna meet up with someone. but im only going if chiri is!!!
Unread 02-06-2004, 08:44 PM   #15
Sorahana
...That was a joke

I'm all for a diffrent time of the year. What about August? Then again October/November would be good too ^^.
Panda Punch: Cosplay Photography
Sorahana is offline   Reply With Quote