Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Metrocon

Unread 06-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

MetroCon 2012: Feedback Thread

Here's the place to post all about your experience at MetroCon 2012! Feel free to talk about anything pertaining to the convention - highlights and lowlights, what you felt was great and what you feel needs improvement - and will you attend next year? You can also be specific about events, the hotel, convention space, dealer's hall, panels, staff, contests, venue, gatherings, and more! Please rememeber though to stay on topic.

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA)

Upcoming costumes : Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, Edea Lee (various costmes) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
PromisedCall
Melody

The convention this year was great, by far the best year!
One of my complaints is not the fault of anyone, but I went out for Thai food at around 5pm on Saturday, which then had me holed up in the bathroom until 9, then I promptly passed out. So I ended up missing most of Saturday > 3 <
Another complaint, which isn't really the fault of anyone, but the hotel staff at the Embassy, which is the CONVENTION hotel is SO snooty and rude to cosplayers. While waiting in line at check out I heard the clerk apologize to the "normal people" for the "Offensive and Loud group of weirdos that are participating in a Creepy-Fest" DIRECT QUOTE. And once the hotel staff sees that I have a wig or a costume, they just act so condescending to me. I know it's not the conventions fault, but it's still very rude.
The only thing that bugged me this year was the Nazi-Like Weapons check, but I know Mitt Romney is coming to town in two weeks and the place was crawling with Secret Service, and they didn't want anyone to plant anything anywhere, which is understandable. But seriously, yelling at a Finn with an OBVIOUSLY foam tiny sword to get down to weapons check because it's a DANGEROUS weapon????????.... smh
PromisedCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
Iceywind

Yes, the weapons check guys were really anal this year. My sis and I were running a bit late to get pre-judged for the costume contest and this one guy wouldn't leave us alone. We hadn't gotten them checked yet because this was the first time we wore them so far and when we brought them on Thursday, they weren't doing checks yet. We kept telling him that we would do it in a bit, but he was persistent.

Another thing that bugged me was the mascots. Every time they got on stage I couldn't hear most of what they were saying. They needed to talk clearer and louder.

Quick question: were there less people this year? It felt a bit emptier then I remember from previous years. Or did they have events spaced well enough to keep the crowds low?
Iceywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
DavinDaLilAzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceywind View Post
Quick question: were there less people this year? It felt a bit emptier then I remember from previous years. Or did they have events spaced well enough to keep the crowds low?
This year felt less crowded since they had "more space" (i.e. dealer room was larger, special events room was moved away from center area, and guest track was in the back (don't know if that was new)).

I loved that there was more room in the dealer room and a nice variety of things. I also liked the food setup the convention center had this year. I know they've done the "line buffet" downstairs in previous years, but this year had more options and variety. Also, since it was self-serve, if you could fit more on your plate, you definitely got your money's worth!

MegaCon 2013
Dragon*Con 2013
DavinDaLilAzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
Sandwich

I hope we had a bigger crowd, what is it - if Metro gets 10,000 attendees it will go to a four day con? That would be amazing!

I agree on the improved dealer's room, this year's selection of merch was much more varied. I feel like all the cosplayers chose different series as well (minus the overwhelming amount of Homestuckers anyway, kudos to them seeming like a fun crowd). Panels were great as well, finally found a year where there were a ton I was interested in. Before I keep repeating myself, this year was in my opinion, the best yet (of those I have gone to)! Keep it up Team Dynamite!
Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
ajisaiareku
~Sewing Maniaz

Pros:
The expanded artist alley and dealers room was like a play ground of awesome goodies to buy. It allowed for a lot more space so it didn't feel super packed together and it was nice.

The Panels seemed to be a lot more well run and I didn't see panelist with issues that the staff couldn't help out with or could even stop to offer help (happened to me one year). the variety of panels was really nice too

Agreeing with DAvin that the food was much better too and you really could get the bang for your buck with the self serve buffet line, so if you possessed awesome tetris stacking skills with your food you ate very well without having to walk out into the heat

Cons:
I love Metrocon but I had an issue with the security that was dressed in the umbrella corp gear. I watched as a pair just started yelling at a kid of about 8 to move to the side. Really? How is this child suppose to know you're security when you have nothing to show for it and instead he's probably thinking he's just being yelled at for no reason. They held no tact and obviously asking someone to do something was very hard for them because most people were looking at them like they had grown 2 heads on the power trip.

The main events of the Masquerade and the Human Chess match seemed less entertaining than before. The story line seemed a little thrown together and not thought out for the human chess match along with hearing several complaints that for the long time it ran it wasn't worth being in there. The Masquerade was ok, I couldn't hear Ed well at times and the story line while it was creative to try and join the previous years for the "end" it just didn't meet up to what I was expecting

again all my general opinion
Fuu: Final Armor - MKR
Lolita Captain America
Other Cons 2012:
Holiday Matsuri
ajisaiareku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
dogwitch

pro. was signs tell what panel for that room instead of a sheet of paper tape to the door.
much better room of dealers and such
more spread out but very easy to find
much better selection of dealer and artist

cons like mention above
.umbrella crew....
panel getting cancel,running late and staff not updated the info in a time lee matter
food over price again...
website is god awful coded both for dealer and fans.
dogwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
LadySaiyuki

I'm really glad to see that people seemed to overall have a good time this year at Metro. I really wish that all the "cons" portions could be fixed by the convention, but the only thing I can bring up at the staff meeting is the issues with the Security team.

I am genuinely sorry to hear that people on the metro team were not of a metro-standard of kindness to all attendees, it will be brought up to the other staff members and we'll do our best to improve on guest hospitality....

did anyone enjoy or utilize MetroCon's 1st ever Cosplay repair station this weekend?
it was a first year attempt, we're going to advertise it a bit more for next year and we'll even have a sign for it next year as well.

we did this year get a nice big banner for the cosplay booth so we could be more recognizable this year as the cosplay booth, and not just some table with a photography back drop.

personal Pros: we had so much talent this year at metro, it was a great year for cosplayers, idols, and artists. all the attendees were so incredibly nice!

personal Cons:was not fond of staff members being negative or rude to each other and attendees... we really need every staff member watch a video on being kind to others....

Last edited by LadySaiyuki : 06-22-2012 at 03:05 PM.
LadySaiyuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
MotherSilver

I'm a bit late to the game, but I had a lot to deal with work so now I can finally post stuff in detail!

Pros: It did feel like there was a lot more room this year. Unfortunately people seemed really rude, just generally getting in the way and being obnoxious, not keeping to the side of the halls and constantly stopping in the middle of the hall blocking paths, but it still felt a lot more roomy than the previous year. I enjoyed seeing the different stores in the Dealers Room, a lot of old ones, and a lot of new ones. I particularly enjoyed seeing the video game place, I actually bought a few games there because the guy gave me deals on them. I hadn't seen him before, so I thought that was nice, to actually be able to find video games.

I did also like the fact there were signs by the doors to show the current panels going on! That was very helpful and I hope they do it again next year!

I also finally saw the Fire Show, that was very amazing I enjoyed that thoroughly! I hope that it continues to be there over the next few years.

Cons: Some of the panels were better this year but (and I know that this is fully out of Metrocons control) but some of them were... well let's just say my boyfriend and I left the Dr. Who panel early because we didn't think it was going to start out as a concert of fan made songs... We thought it would be a trivia thing, but they were actually very loud and we couldn't understand them... So we just got up and left because we couldn't bear through it. I really do hope that it did get better after we left, we just didn't want to stay for a concert. I think that since they were preforming a concert it would have been better for them to be in the main hall, they were cramped in such a small room, I kind of felt bad for them Maybe at Megacon they will have more space to preform. Although I am glad there was a wider variety of panels there, I enjoyed most of them! Missed a few of the ones I'd like to have gone to, but alas, they were at the same times as other ones! Too many panels to pick from! Agh! XD

Also, for the Costume Contest-please please get people who can speak more clearly! I was back stage helping a group out and I could not understand a word they were saying! I'm not sure about the front of the stage, but I could barely make out what they were calling out. I wasn't the only one either, I'm sure we would not have realized we were being called up if the back stage people hadn't been guiding the next group up as the current one was walking on.

And another thing on the Costume Contest... can we get some more appropriate music? I mean, if there is a certain show or something, they should use that theme, not some Lady Gaga song... I think I remember when that little girl went up in the MLP dress and some pop song was playing that was less than appropriate. Keep it with the theme of the cosplay! If there is an InuYasha group, play Inuyasha music! If it's Sephiroth, play his theme! I know those sound bites are out there! Don't just pick a random song because it's popular!

I really did enjoy this Metrocon-even if my costume had malfunctions-and I hope the next year will be even greater!

Last edited by MotherSilver : 10-27-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added more
MotherSilver is offline   Reply With Quote