Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 02-03-2004, 12:29 AM   #1
BIOJECT
Long Pointy Elf Ears! Mmm

I have decided not to wear any make-up for my Deedlit costume.

I really don't think make-up will be necessary since I will still look like a guy. The blong wig and everything else will still be bought and I will probably shave too, but I just don't think make up is for me. I'm someone who doesn't even like make up on girls for numerous wierd reasons. Also I don't know any girl who would help me put it on in the first place. Since I will look scary already, I might as well keep the ackwardness down a notch by just wearing the Deedlit costume without any make up.

Unread 02-03-2004, 01:51 AM   #2
Mizuno Tenshi
Shiawase wa itsumo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIOJECT
I really don't think make-up will be necessary since I will still look like a guy. The blong wig and everything else will still be bought and I will probably shave too, but I just don't think make up is for me. I'm someone who doesn't even like make up on girls for numerous wierd reasons. Also I don't know any girl who would help me put it on in the first place. Since I will look scary already, I might as well keep the ackwardness down a notch by just wearing the Deedlit costume without any make up.
What ever happened to "as accurately as possible"? Did you mean "as accurately as possible until it gets to something weird"? I'm just kidding, but if you're really going for the best look you can, get help with makeup. You'd be surprised what it can do, even.

Tenshi

"Normal is for those who can't do any better." - Me
Mizuno Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2004, 02:19 AM   #3
Gren
Gender Bender

I'd recommend make up. I even wear make up for my crossplays, which are male characters. If you are going to be photographed, you will look more attractive with makeup on, period.

You could always apply it yourself.
Unread 02-03-2004, 02:20 AM   #4
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Makeup isn't necessarily just eye shadow and lipstick, y'know. It can really work wonders for crossplayers. I wouldn't give up til you try it.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: Anime Los Angeles (January 9-11)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2004, 02:46 AM   #5
Kokuu
Armed and Dangerous

Makeup in general is a good idea when cosplaying, even for guys who aren't crossplaying. It can help hide imperfections (which we all have XD) and can improve your face's overall appearance, especially in photos. You may have a fantastic costume, but if your face looks tired, red, splotchy or oily it can completely detract and ruin a photo.

If the thought of buying makeup makes you nervous, why not go for stage makeup? Lots of guys in theater buy stage makeup, and no one will thing of you as being strange. I recommend Aqua Color, a water based makeup that isn't very heavy (for stage makeup) and is gentle and pretty natural looking on your skin. (Actually I use this makeup on a day to day basis because I find it covers better and last longer then most street makeup XD) Ben Nye is another brand of theatrical makeup, though I don't like this one quite as much, since it's oil based and I sometimes get breakouts after wearing it.

As for eyeliner, lipstick, eye shadow and other things, many of these products can also be found at theatrical supply stores, often times in makeup kits. Ben Nye has a basic kit that includes base, power, lip color and eyeliner.

When it comes to applying makeup, it isn't that difficult. Do you think that girls were somehow "born" with the ability to apply makeup or were taught? Excluding those girls who actually paid attention to the makeup tips in Seventeen, most learn through trial by error. There are scores of tutorials online of the impatient type. Makeup isn't the end of the world, and it really isn't all that bad, but it can make a difference.
Kokuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2004, 08:39 AM   #6
dani
Boots were made 4 walking

We all have drawn lines before on what's in and out of our costumes.

Bioject has expressed clearly more than once that the subject of makeup makes him somewhat uncomfortable, and the beauty of the system is that he can have as much fun with his costume at a con with or without any makeup.

Hooray for the system

Dani
dani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2004, 01:52 PM   #7
Ami
Grand Maester Mercury

is completley up to bio project over there but it do have to attend to agree i went as the Sailor Mercury Prom Queen for halloween and had to wear makeup youd be surprised how many people are willing to help with that type of thing the person who taught me to put makeup on of all things was a clinque vender down at the nex she was almost exicited to help me with it.... and it took me about a half hour to figure out how to apply base eye shadow mascara blush luckley I already knew how to apply nail polish she also taught me several techniques for all of it thanks to that and several tutorials online but thats just me.... bioproject dont want makeup bioproject dont get or have to have makeup thats the way I see it, so like Dani said good for the system and us who do good for all of us

Last edited by Ami : 02-03-2004 at 02:00 PM.
Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2004, 10:04 PM   #8
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

Bioject: Do you define makeup as ANYTHING?

What I'd recommend for ANY guy cosplaying, not even necessarily CROSSplaying:

Please at least use a cover-stick to dot out zits and any other color imperfections. It won't show if done right, it won't make you look any less like a guy, it WILL make your skin look better and keep blemishes from detracting. (I recently had to use Photoshop extensively on a pics of friend who cosplayed Neo from the Matrix - he's a very handsome and sexy guy who looks like Neo, BUT his face was erupting all over that weekend. :/ )

Heck, they even sell zit medication with a little tone in it too, which will do the same job.
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2004, 10:26 PM   #9
Nine
The busty one!

My make up situation when I cosplay females:
- Foundation to hide my acne scars
- Eye shadow IF I'm cosplaying a female who has obvious eye shadow, or if it will add a touch of darkness to the overall look of the costume. ie. Naga
- Lipstick IF the female I'm cosplaying obviously wears it. ie. Lulu

I'm horrible in makeup, because I touch my face a lot. I couldn't stay a minute in a costume that required any facepaint/face makeup because of my busy hands touching my face all the time. XD
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2004, 11:26 PM   #10
Ami
Grand Maester Mercury

definitly a fine art i was one who couldn't stand chap stick so it was a real killer wearing lipstick... but you get used to it just try not to think about it....
Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2004, 07:47 AM   #11
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

this is why i eat humans....run or get eaten fools!
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2004, 07:43 PM   #12
L to the 3rd
aka Scrawny Squall

Well i'm a girl and i hate hate hattte lipstick. but i wear it only if the character looks like they are wearing some. that is why i love crossplay =). no lipstick!

anyway.....
Non make up cover up products for the make-up phobic: tinted clearasil can cover up zits... and the clean and clear blue powder thing (which is technically not make up) makes u paler and gets rid of shine. it can be bought at wal-mart.