Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > AMē

Unread 06-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #16
El_Duque
miyoshi82

The thing that would help this con is if it wasn't in June sandwiched between two well-established conventions (Fanime and AX). I suggest making this a Labor Day weekend con.

Also, I heard from a friend that next year isn't looking like it's free since it was advertised that $35 for pre-registration.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #17
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

Well nothing can stay FREE Forever. Unless you Want AM2 to start bringing over AWESOME J-pop/J-Rock Bands again they need Money to do so. although I don't disagree with FREE, it helps younger kids get to come to AM2 and enjoy themselves hang out with friends ect.. but with everything comes a PRICE sooner or Later.

I paid for a Passport this year, because it was my first year-I want to help FUND AM2 to make it BETTER for the next year!

I would LOVE to see AM2 being over (RIYU KOSAKA) to sing *MONSTER* & *DANZAI NO HANA* she is Awesome!!!
PMX 2014 *8th Year* *3rd Year Staff* -- Loscon 2014 *3rd Year Staff*
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #18
Makira
Show me where ya noms at.

I agree with paying. The more money they have, the better the con can be. So long as their ticket prices don't get outrageous like Anime Expo, I don't mind spending $35 on a 3 day pass.
Social Cosplay- http://www.socialcos.com/profile/41
Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/user/MissMakira

Cons- AM2, Anime Expo 2012, Anime Vegas 2012, Animegacon 2012
Makira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #19
MeiChama
Variable Trigger!

Same here. If I had the money this year when I attended I would've gladly paid for a passport. But at the same time I was trying to save for AX. Regardless, next year I will be buying a pass to support them. :'3

Cons Attending
[Miku Expo]

dA
Facebook
Instagram
MeiChama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #20
Oberst

While I have yet to attend AM2, I would honestly go if it was held either later in the year, or much much earlier, as others have said.

Trying to hold during a time frame when so many other cons are going on, Fanime, Anime Expo, and then Comic-con is just too close to these other cons and people only have so much money at a given time to shell out for them, this not only hurts AM2 but even the vendors who support it.

I have no issues about paying to attend, and again, s others have said, if this benefits the AM2 experience, that can only be a good thing.

SO, no issues about it being a Pay to attend event, I just hope that next year, you guys choose a later in the year time frame like September or October.
Oberst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #21
EmoxJerk
Love Way Connection

Same with the money issue. Am2 should consider moving their con date to another time during the year. (Personally I'd like a winter con in SoCal, but maybe that's only a pipe dream lolz)

I've read up that many of the vendors found themselves unable to sell their items at AM2. I'm thinking that many people did what my friends and I did. We were interested in many of the items that the vendors and some artists in AA were selling, but what we did was ask the vendors if they were going to be at AX, to which many of them replied 'yes.' So basically, that's why we didn't buy anything. Only thing I bought there was a cute keychain thing from an artist that told me she wasn't going to have a table at Expo.

I'm sure a lot of other people knew that the same vendors were going to be at AX as well, so they probably decided to wait to buy the merchandise.

And for the pass issue, it was really awesome that AM2 was a free con. I'll admit, I only went because of the free admission (also my first year attending it), but if AM2 has huge plans next year or if they move their date so that it isn't just a few weeks before AX, I'd gladly buy a passport. And...(I'll admit again), I didn't buy a passport or spend that much money at AM2 because I plan to splurge at AX lol >< So yeah, AM2 should consider some other dates during the year. Summer has all those huge cons going on and personally, I'd really love a con during winter break.
-Hanji / Rivaille (AoT)
-Snow Miku

Facebook | WorldCosplay
EmoxJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #22
RoMayDrako
Happy Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoxJerk View Post
I've read up that many of the vendors found themselves unable to sell their items at AM2. I'm thinking that many people did what my friends and I did. We were interested in many of the items that the vendors and some artists in AA were selling, but what we did was ask the vendors if they were going to be at AX, to which many of them replied 'yes.' So basically, that's why we didn't buy anything. Only thing I bought there was a cute keychain thing from an artist that told me she wasn't going to have a table at Expo.
Well one vendor missed out, and she admitted it because she didn't bring her BJD outfits to sell she figured their would be no doll owners there. Since her stuff was fairly priced I know me and a friend would have bought plenty. Some venders were WAY over priced, while only 2 others were shockingly low. I know one vender ended up not getting any business from me because when I went to buy a chocobo head the bloody person wouldn't stop flirting with girls and I coudlnt' get anyones elses attention so I said screw to that. And what was with the price of grab bags this year? Holy cripes, only the lady selling CDs had grab bags that were "cheap". And BTW her bags contained awesome stuff.
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #23
EmoxJerk
Love Way Connection

Oh yeah, a lot of the stuff were overpriced as well. Especially the grab bags lol x x
As I recall, one booth was selling those bags for 100 dollars each. They better had contained some decent stuff if they're that much >:I
-Hanji / Rivaille (AoT)
-Snow Miku

Facebook | WorldCosplay
EmoxJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #24
RoMayDrako
Happy Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoxJerk View Post
Oh yeah, a lot of the stuff were overpriced as well. Especially the grab bags lol x x
As I recall, one booth was selling those bags for 100 dollars each. They better had contained some decent stuff if they're that much >:I
THe lady with CDs hers were about 16 with taxes. I bought two, one of the bags had a dir en grey CD and another bag had another CD no idea what the band was. Stickers (Utina x2 and GundamWx2), two cure magazines, two posters, and two T shirts D'espairsray (which my friend is pissed she can't fit into) and one with a forest spirit (princes mononoke). If you ask me that was worth the price. Hahaha Wouldn't it be cool if venders would allow people to rate their grab bags, would sell more defently.

-edit- I forgot 4 tiny pinns in all and two figures. I just noticed luffy staring at me. My friend took all the tiny figures since she loved the anime. I didn't reconize them. And they were same charater differnt poses. So yeah quite a hall for 2 bags.

-Edit again- For got 2 things of hichew. YUM apple flavored.

If there is another AM2 defently going to hunt for her again and her grab bags.

Last edited by RoMayDrako : 06-28-2012 at 07:55 PM.
RoMayDrako is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #25
ReverseTrap
Gender Bender

AM^2 was pretty good this year. All I can say is:
-Start charging for admission at a reasonable cost, have fundraisers to promote the con and make more money, charge more for exhibitors/artists, hold a swap meet and charge for tables, or possibly move to a more affordable venue. Something to help fund for next year's convention to make it BETTER .
-DIFFERENT DATE. Probably August or Labor Day weekend would be best after Fanime, AX, and Comic Con
-Not keeping everything in one hall. Like have the video games in one room, events like the Brony Lounge or Blue Rose Academy in one room. This way there are more options for attendees to do after the main hall closes.
-Bring back the food trucks.
-Get more sponsors to also fund the con.

That's about all I can say. Keep it up AM^2 and I can't wait for next year.
Anime Expo (1 day)
San Diego Comic Con
Bent Con

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/maleny.mickey

Twitter: @MilkTeaMaleny

Mochi Bytes: http://mochibytes.wordpress.com/
ReverseTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #26
Shiva Edge
mata aeru no ka

Why not move am2 to spring time? Los Angeles area doesn't really have any spring cons.
Shiva Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #27
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiva Edge View Post
Why not move am2 to spring time? Los Angeles area doesn't really have any spring cons.
Spring time is Anime Conji time in San Diego and it's hard to have a "spring break" con when many schools get out in different weeks.

Now with Japan Expo coming in next year and taking up possibly August, it seems it will be difficult for AM2 to have anytime during the summer. Labor Day weekend is their only hope if they want to have their con next summer.
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
Wondercon - Did not attend
Anime Expo - Did not attend
San Diego Comic Con - Done and tired
Comikaze Expo
Long Beach Comic Con
Pacific Media Expo
Unread 08-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #28
El_Duque
miyoshi82

The dates for 2013 are looking good. It all depends on what dates Japan Expo holds theirs. Also, it isn't free anymore.

Quote:
The prices will start at $5/day and $10.00 for all three days prior to the official convention dates with online pre-registration. Prices increase to $10/day during the convention itself and $20.00 for all three days. Please visit our registration page for more information and to pre-order online and save money!
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
Comikaze Expo
Long Beach Comic Con
Pacific Media Expo

Last edited by El_Duque : 08-24-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Unread 08-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #29
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Barring whatever dates Japan Expo holds their convention, those dates are really good. Nice way to end the summer and also spaced out enough away from the bigger cons so that more people can go. There was no way that AM2 could continue to not charge for badges considering that conventions aren't exactly a cheap proposition...price is still very reasonable for those who choose to not purchase the Passport. Will definitely have to try and check it out next year!
Sakura Con
Wonder Con
Anime Expo
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #30
El_Duque
miyoshi82

And AM2 is once again on the same weekend as another con. Japan Expo just announced their dates as well for August 23-25. There goes getting people to come down from the Bay Area. It just seems this con just can't catch a good break.
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
Comikaze Expo
Long Beach Comic Con
Pacific Media Expo

Last edited by El_Duque : 09-11-2012 at 01:31 AM.