Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
alisaur

Altering a strapless dress to a sweetheart neckline

How would I go about changing this strapless dress into having a sweetheart neckline?

I'm trying to alter my dress so it's similar to this:
One
Two

Also, how difficult is it to make a fabric waist cincher?
Something like this. I couldn't find a real life photo that accurately portrayed it without being a corset, or something that covered the whole torso.

Would it be possible to give the strapless dress an illusion of having a sweetheart neckline if I wear a black lace cami layered under the strapless dress with the waist cincher layered on the top?
alisaur is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2012, 02:08 AM   #2
Aztrokat

I would draw the outline of the new bust shape on the dress while wearing it. Chalk or washable fabric marking pencils are good. Then take the dress off and draw in the seam allowance (about 5/8" away from new outline), making the piece you will actually cut out of the dress smaller. Make sure everything is symmetrical. Then cut out the shape. Fold hem inside to the new neckline, again making sure it looks symmetrical and press. Then slipstitch the front and back together with black thread.

Waist cinchers are easy if they don't need boning and to actually reduce your waist. There are plenty of tutorials out there.

"Oh, I wish I had my soma!"
"A gramme is better than a damn."
- A Brave New World
Aztrokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
alisaur

I'm afraid that I might mess up >.< There's a second layer or lining on the inside of the dress too, so would the process still be the same? I feel like it might not come out that neat and the seam might not be as strong since I would have to hand sew it.
alisaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
ChibiRinoa
Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaur View Post

How would I go about changing this strapless dress into having a sweetheart neckline?

I'm trying to alter my dress so it's similar to this:
One
Two

Also, how difficult is it to make a fabric waist cincher?
Something like this. I couldn't find a real life photo that accurately portrayed it without being a corset, or something that covered the whole torso.

Would it be possible to give the strapless dress an illusion of having a sweetheart neckline if I wear a black lace cami layered under the strapless dress with the waist cincher layered on the top?
Depending on the type of fabric and the finishing of the top it could be either easy to alter or difficult to alter. It appears that the dress is made of a stretchy fabric on the top portion which would make it more difficult to get a sweetheart neckline. You would have to remove the lining (if there is one) and sew a piece of non-stretch fabric to where you want your V portion on the outer fabric in order to not make the V shape stretch when the dress is on the body.
If the dress is in fact a stretchy knit it would be easier to do the layered method of the tank under the strapless dress.
If the dress is a woven (non stretch) fabric you could use the method mentioned above and hand sew them together. If you use decent thread and small stitches your seam will be just as strong as a machine sewn seam.

As for the waist cincher there is a video tutorial you could use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJC27qmh1pA
Unread 08-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
Incufreak

Oh honey, all you really had to do was take your index finger and thumb and pinch the fabric right in the middle and sew it in place and it would look like a sweetheart neckline. If you had a sewing machine, you could sewn about 3 inches of elastic to the middle of the inside of the fabric it and it wouldve had that look. I hope it turned out okay!
Incufreak is offline   Reply With Quote