Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #76
Tobias Night
Tobias Nightbringer

Hung out with mates, old and new; made friends with beautiful new people; and rocked out with amazing cosplayers. Isn't that what cons are all about?!

As for the people that had to deal with douchebags and fucktards from X-Games or wherever else, just remember--haters gonna hate.

Cons? Well other than the con being over...where da-fuq did my money go?!

You know what else though that brings it all together to perfection? MEXICAN HOT DOG CART LADY! Come on man that shit was BETTER THAN BAD SEX!

~Lyric to a song sung by Nat King Cole called "Nature Boy" (Thank you LadyHawke78 for getting the name of the song!)
Tobias Night is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #77
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
I don't think he even cares. I bet he got a huge culture shock when he showed up in 2010. I don't see it as a major importance for him to show up at all.
That's funny, because I remember when the LA mayor Villaraigosa was bragging to the press in 2010, that the LACC was going to become perfect hosting place for anime cons.

Here's a quote from him back in 2010:
Quote:

"Los Angeles is the perfect host city for this event thanks to our many local companies specializing in cutting-edge technology, our irrefutable standing as the epicenter of the entertainment industry, and Downtown LA's immaculately planned infrastructure."
You can read rest of the the 2010 article here from the LA Weekly:

http://blogs.laweekly.com/arts/2010/..._anime_exp.php

Yet in 2012, AX is beneath his notice. What happened to the mayor bragging that LA was the perfect host city for AX?

Can we say "Bull manure" ?
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:39 AM   #78
G-Force
Internet Voice Actor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaider View Post
T
Besides the overpriced hotels, food & parking around the LACC, there's other reasons why I really dislike the LA Convention Center. I was hoping that they would move back to Anaheim, after their contract expires with LA this year, but I was very, very disappointed to hear that they are returning to LA next year. (LA hasn't exactly brought out the welcome mat for AX this year.) I am hoping that it will be just a one year contract, and not a 5 year contract.

I also noticed that the LA mayor, Antonio Villaraigosa didn't even bother to show up this year. He made such a BIG hoopla about showing up for AX back in 2010, but in 2012, it seemed like AX was beneath his notice.
Doesn't the LA convention center hold more people than Anaheim?
G-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:52 AM   #79
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Doesn't the LA convention center hold more people than Anaheim?
No.

California's 3 largest convention centers are the Anaheim Convention Center, San Diego Convention Center, and the LA Convention Center.

But here's a breakdown of the square feet for the 2 convention centers in LA & Anaheim. (As of this time.)

1. Los Angeles Convention Center:

720,000 sq ft (67,000 m2) of exhibition space, 147,000 sq ft (13,700 m2) of meeting space.

2. Anaheim Convention Center:

815,000 square feet (75,700 m2) of exhibit space, 200,000 square feet (19,000 m2) of prefunction space, and 130,000 square feet (12,000 m2) of meeting and ballroom space.

Also note in 2008, the music-equipment convention, the Winter NAMM Show had 1,560 exhibitors and 88,100 attendees during the 2008 show at the Anaheim Convention Center.

Try to fit in 88,100 attendees at the LA Convention Center, (To quote C3P0 from Star Wars) and "You will learn a new definition of pain and suffering.."

Last edited by Hakaider : 07-04-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Unread 07-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #80
Access

And don't forget Wondercon, just this year and about the same number of attendees as AX. That was held in Anaheim and went pretty well.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 02:18 AM   #81
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

On things of a different note...

Apparentely, there were other cosplayers who were also being harassed by the X-Games attendees as well, and they posted about it at the AX forums.

Here's a quote from one of the female cosplayers:

Quote:
Where to start.

First off, the entire convention center / LA Live area was a wreck. It took nearly 30 minutes for me to book it from the con center to the JW Marriott, a walk that usually only took 5 - 10 minutes before. Not only that, but because so many areas were blocked off the con felt much, much more crowded than in the past.

The main issue was with the attendees though. Simply put, the majority of X Games attendees and the majority of Anime Expo attendees do not mesh well together. As my friend said, it was like high school all over again. We were mocked and sexually harassed, even though we were being civil and minding our own business. I had two drunk X Games attendees try to take an upskirt photo of me while I was doing private photoshoot, and after being told to F- off they got belligerent and I swear they were getting ready to strike my friend and I. I heard many other stories of similar harassment throughout the weekend.

My best suggestion is to NOT book the convention center on the same weekend as the X Games again. It was extremely uncomfortable and an unwelcoming atmosphere, and I'm sure I will not the be the only one not returning if the two events are run simultaneously again.

Anyone else have a bad experience with the X Games fans?
Another quote from a Star Wars Imperial Stormtrooper dealing with the X-Games people:

Quote:
My only beef with the X Games is that I almost had my blaster prop stolen right out of my holster by those guys. Guy creeps up on me, screams... "MINE NOW!!!", grabs my gun, tries to pull it out but luckily it got stuck and he didn't get it, then runs off. I personally don't have an issue with the X Games crowd but definitely there are more immature douchebags in that particular crowd thinking what they're doing is cool to do what they're doing. Given that Star Wars is an American thing, you think they have more respect for it, but I guess not...

Here's the link:

http://community.anime-expo.org/inde...howtopic=15935

Last edited by Hakaider : 07-04-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Unread 07-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #82
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
That's funny, because I remember when the LA mayor Villaraigosa was bragging to the press in 2010, that the LACC was going to become perfect hosting place for anime cons.

Here's a quote from him back in 2010:

You can read rest of the the 2010 article here from the LA Weekly:

http://blogs.laweekly.com/arts/2010/..._anime_exp.php

Yet in 2012, AX is beneath his notice. What happened to the mayor bragging that LA was the perfect host city for AX?

Can we say "Bull manure" ?
I can't say for sure since I don't live in LA County at all. Maybe Lattanzio pulled a few strings to get him to show up. I don't recall seeing him last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
And don't forget Wondercon, just this year and about the same number of attendees as AX. That was held in Anaheim and went pretty well.
But weren't they the bigger event in the ACC at the time? The only other events going on at the same time was some volleyball tournament and a few others.
Twitter
2014 Possible Cons
Anime Conji - Done
Wondercon - Did not attend
Anime Expo - Did not attend
San Diego Comic Con - Done and tired
Comikaze Expo
Long Beach Comic Con
Pacific Media Expo
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 02:40 AM   #83
Morrissey
Insanely Popular

Honestly, it doesn't matter if the Mayor showed up at all. He does not add anything to the experience and just causes headaches during his photo ops. This was my first AX since 2009 when I last worked it. I saw a lot of things I haven't been able to see as an attendee. It was crowded. The 46k number sounds about right. I think the convention center seemed more crowded due to the fact that people weren't mulling around Nokia Live at all. The X-Games were an annoyance. It took me an extra 15 minutes to go through all that crap in order to walk to the Westin. The staff seemed younger than I remember but many of them were polite and did their jobs well. There were the few jerks on access control like there are every year but that's normal. I agree that programming was lacking, especially with no BOTB and Idol this year. The rooms used for events seemed to be over crowded and should have been further apart. Exhibit Hall was interesting, although nothing stood out. Over all, not too many problems but the overall feel seemed kind of muted. Maybe I expected too much or AX has changed a lot since 98, the last year I attended AX as an attendee.
Unread 07-04-2012, 02:46 AM   #84
Tobias Night
Tobias Nightbringer

Does Mexican hot dog cart lady mean nothing?! She was like an ANGEL gliding blissfully down on fatty and oil greased wheels, with a slightly shady looking meals on wheels cart firmly in hand (and usually a cell phone clutched in the other), ready to embrace me in delicious bacon wrapped goodness!

Best four dollars of my life spent...except for that one time in Cancun....

~Lyric to a song sung by Nat King Cole called "Nature Boy" (Thank you LadyHawke78 for getting the name of the song!)
Tobias Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 02:48 AM   #85
Mirai Noah
is a Newtype

I think that this AX was better than last year for me, and also I had more fun than at Fanime 2012. All the staff I talked to was very helpful and friendly this year. I stayed at the Westin, so the only compliant I have about the X-Games was the road closures. After walking around it once, I decided on using the shuttle exclusively. I also kinda missed hanging in the LA Live area at night.

I didn't go to any panels, so I didn't really figure out the autograph procedure this year, but did speak with staff about it, and it appeared to be better organized than the last two years, so I was happy about that.

The Yuki Kajiura/FictionJunction concert started late and ran longer than an hour, but I had fun regardless.

The night of the alleged kidnapping, we were warned by some girls about the supposed incident and told to be careful, etc. I'm glad that AX clarified on the website what really happened.

Loved the food trucks! Although I didn't like having to pass by the protesters to get to the ones on Pico. One of the days I was jostled by other congoers trying to hurry past them and I dropped something and lost it. Also at one point, we were crossing to get food and the rally race was going on and a race car slammed into the concrete dividers near the intersection and it was a little "WHOA."
Fanime
Anime Expo
SacAnime Summer

Last edited by Mirai Noah : 07-04-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Mirai Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #86
Hanagumori
Reckless Driving Cucumber

Pro's :
Any staff I encountered were nice and didn't completely freak out over peace-bonding like last year
Nice people and great cosplays
Inside was nicely AC'd compared to the scorching heat outside
Con's :
I didn't have any problems with the X games itself but the fact that it was occupying a lot of space near the con it was pretty annoying plus they took up a lot of the parking
AX's badge prices are becoming more and more expensive
---
Overall i had fun and plan on going next year, getting a hotel, hopefully so i can avoid paying too much for parking each day
Hanagumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 03:27 AM   #87
OniCourseMusha
Brain Age Guy

About the X-games crowd. I had a bad feeling when I went through the passage way through the X-games once on the way to subway. I took the rest with the shuttle. Hearing about the harassment maybe glad that I took most of it on shuttle. I feel sorry for people who had to book the JW Marriott and they were force to walk through there and had that incident. I had to keep myself cautious.
Fanime E-gaming Staff
Fanime B&W Ball Dance Assistance and Staff 2008-2011
SakuraCon Masquerade Ball's dance host
Facebook
Deviantart ACE Cosplayer
OniCourseMusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 03:57 AM   #88
Cadmium Polyphony
Hiro Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcoregamer00 View Post
I will not comment any further except to say that the final numbers are being worked on and the numbers we released was a conservative estimate.
Doesnt that completely contradict your previous post, then? You know, sorta like a flat out lie would? And if the conservative estimate was that, why wasnt it stated that it was a conservative estimate? Is every year a conservative estimate? You could at least retract your statement, or own up to your eagerness to bloat the success of AX.

P.S. I met a lot of awesome X-Gamers, and despite literally getting in the way, I actually enjoyed my experience with them. More than one of them completely loved my cosplay accessories.

I hate cute.

Podcast Channel
Cadmium Polyphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #89
sicdedman
SicLeatherFace

Quote:
This is why I didn't use the convention center restrooms on the 1st floor. Many of them were filthy, had a strong stench in them, and some of the trash was overflowing.

The cleaner restrooms are on the upper floors. (But they aren't that clean by that much.)

I noticed that the con's janitorial & maintenance staff didn't bother to clean the restrooms up very often.

Some of the lower floor restrooms were almost as bad as the restrooms in the downtown LA Amtrak/Metro Union Station.

There were also some cars belonging to AX attendees that got broken into & had their stuff stolen within the vicinity of the convention center.

Besides the overpriced hotels, food & parking around the LACC, there's other reasons why I really dislike the LA Convention Center. I was hoping that they would move back to Anaheim, after their contract expires with LA this year, but I was very, very disappointed to hear that they are returning to LA next year. (LA hasn't exactly brought out the welcome mat for AX this year.) I am hoping that it will be just a one year contract, and not a 5 year contract.

I also noticed that the LA mayor, Antonio Villaraigosa didn't even bother to show up this year. He made such a BIG hoopla about showing up for AX back in 2010, but in 2012, it seemed like AX was beneath his notice.

Yea, the only bathroom that was the cleanest i found (Did not go to the South Hall much) was the Bathrooms if you are walking to the south hall past the food courts near the room with the vending machines, those were rather clean and hardly anyone was ever in there.

Yea i heard people's cars were broken into at i think Fanime during the X-games as well. This is what i was worried about my car,i had parked again in the parking Structure next to the O-Hotel & Ritz Milner on the Roof because NO parking anywhere Friday morning when i showed up, i was worried since it was on the roof that it would be more vulnerable for break in, did not check my car for the full weekend until i left Monday Night and to my Surprise my car was the only care left on the roof, nobody broke into it! i was so happy!

also AX being at LACC for one more year, back after their 3rd year,they announced they had signed another 3 year Contract can't remember where i read it, but yea so it is no surprise they are coming back next year which would put them at the end of their 2nd 3rd year contract. I like the LACC for AX (Aside from the Outside Location of things) but i think it is because LACC is all i know of AX since i started attending in 08 when they arrived there. plus AX has Nokia Theater,Outside Court of Nokia Theater & Club Nokia at their disposal (MONEY WILLING) I don't think i want them to try and go back to Anaheim,
I attended AM2 at Anaheim this year and the rooms that they held panels in and stuff seemed way to small and does not seem like it would hold a comfortable 42,000-47,000 people. although the Hotels,Restaurants & Shopping stores would love the attention! but i don't know... like i said i was not there when AX was so i don't know how it would be...

-------------
PROS:

Meeting Really Cool people!
The Awesome Variety in Cosplayers this year soo many (Different) Types!
Vending Machine always full with Snicker Bars! except when i was leaving at the end of Day 4 :'(

CON:
The RUDE Event Staff, at one point i think it was on Sunday or Monday.. one of the Hotdog Lady's was a little close to the Sliding Door selling Hotdogs, one Events Staffer started just YELLING at her and teller her to go away ect.. he started just pushing her cart forcefully not caring if anything fell off of it or if it tipped over ect. then her said a cruse word or 2 then went back into the convention center, i was like WOW DUDE you can be a LITTLE MORE POLITE. (i felt bad for the hotdog lady) i know they should not block the doors but the Event staff COULD have been a little nicer about it. (Excuse me you need to move your cart it's blocking the door) : )

The Nightclub/Bar/ right across the street from LACC on Friday night after leaving the LAC at around 11:00pm i had to walk by the club and nothing but wannabe gangsta's and women barely dressed i was like umm ok so younger cosplayers and such have to walk through this mess of people and worry bout being followed or something... wow just wow.....

those 2 griped have nothing to do with AX but still has to do with LACC and the Safety around it. so i posted it.
PMX 2014 *8th Year* *3rd Year Staff* -- Loscon 2014 *3rd Year Staff*
sicdedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #90
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Cadmium View Post
Doesnt that completely contradict your previous post, then? You know, sorta like a flat out lie would? And if the conservative estimate was that, why wasnt it stated that it was a conservative estimate? Is every year a conservative estimate? You could at least retract your statement, or own up to your eagerness to bloat the success of AX.

P.S. I met a lot of awesome X-Gamers, and despite literally getting in the way, I actually enjoyed my experience with them. More than one of them completely loved my cosplay accessories.
It doesn't, the person asserts a attendance for 2011 that is incorrect.

Link

Not only that, the number we announced at the end if AX 2012 is paid badges and the final numbers are being processed. I hope that clarifies my point further.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime California, Comikaze Expo, Pacific Media Expo
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote