Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 10-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
ani-mia

Crowdsourcing Cosplays

So I have noticed a few cosplayers using crowdsourcing websites such as Indiegogo and Kickstarter to fund their cosplays. What you do you guys think of this? I'm still unsure on how I feel about using this method of paying for my more expensive cosplays.

On one hand, it would be nice to have my costumes funded by fans or cosplay enthusiasts because, heck, cosplay is expensive. On the other hand, I feel it is the cosplayer's responsibility to be able to work towards their own costume...kinda of part of being a cosplayer.

I'm torn on how I feel about this...what do you guys think?

Please visit and Like my Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/Ani.Mia.Cosplay
ani-mia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

It's tacky as shit. Humble opinion, of course.

On the other hand...it's not like there are any rules being broken as far as I know, and it wouldn't be the first time people decided to use their money for something I think they should know better about. Their money, their call.

That said, it does bug me. It has an exploitative feeling to me, because while Kickstarter is basically a pick-your-cause charity clearinghouse, there are so many other Kickstarter projects that give better returns in multiple ways than one costume on a stranger's body. I don't mean just good works stuff, I mean stuff that will actually give you something as a return for your investment.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)

Last edited by Mangochutney : 10-05-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
usuyukisou

I agree; I have always done without or postponed a purchase if I couldn't buy something right away. This method has resulted in desired items going out of stock, but it's all part of the normal challenges that cosplayers should come up with creative ways to work around.

I can't stop others from doing this, or others from throwing their money at this, but I wouldn't ever lower myself to this.
Unread 10-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Kildread
I can fix it!

I don't see it differently than a donate button.

Except, the only times I can imagine a stranger giving money to someone so that person can pay a costume for no one than themselves are NSFW. :/
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

No... just no... Those sites are basically charity sites under my understanding and are meant for charity organizations and small business ventures to get funds they otherwise couldn't. Using that kind of site for a personal hobby seems kinda greedy and horrid.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Access

I got nothing against free market and capitalism, if you can get others to fund your hobby, more the power to you really.

Would recommend being honest -- don't promise something that it's not, don't take money and then not deliver, try to give something back if you can. Reputation matters, if or once you get labelled as a sycophant or leech, someone who takes but never gives back, that can be had to shake.

Not everything is about money, if you are short money, try to help others in ways that don't involve the exchange of money.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
aeon_mistress
~Aeon~

Yeah, I agree with BlondieSundae. It seems wrong to ask people for money for your hobbies.
aeon_mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
Access

Actually most conventions and some costuming guilds or organizations are NPOs, 501(c)3 mostly, with the occasional 501(c)6.

501(c)3 is specifically defined as a 501(c)(3) "Religious, Educational, Charitable, Scientific, Literary, Testing for Public Safety, to Foster National or International Amateur Sports Competition, or Prevention of Cruelty to Children or Animals Organizations" (from wikipedia) or google it for more info.

If you form a costuming guild or other type of organization (I know of local guilds that do this) then you can make it a 501(c)(3) since it is educational and promotes the arts.

Last edited by Access : 10-05-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Unread 10-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
ani-mia

See and this is exactly how I feel but how do I explain this to my friend who is doing this and asking everyone we know for help. I wish I could just tell her that this isn't cool but she is one of my best friends but honestly her doing this is really disappointing and makes me mad.

Please visit and Like my Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/Ani.Mia.Cosplay
ani-mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
It's tacky as shit. Humble opinion, of course.

On the other hand...it's not like there are any rules being broken as far as I know, and it wouldn't be the first time people decided to use their money for something I think they should know better about. Their money, their call.

That said, it does bug me. It has an exploitative feeling to me, because while Kickstarter is basically a pick-your-cause charity clearinghouse, there are so many other Kickstarter projects that give better returns in multiple ways than one costume on a stranger's body. I don't mean just good works stuff, I mean stuff that will actually give you something as a return for your investment.

This. It's technically not illegal at all (Kickstarter IS NOT achairty), but it like Mango said, it feels exploitative. That being said, if people want to spend their money so that strangers can continue to play dress up, that's their cash, not mine.

I also have to question the success rate of cosplay through Kickstarter. I can't imagine too many of them actually working, unless you have a Yaya Han level cosplayer doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
I don't see it differently than a donate button.

Except, the only times I can imagine a stranger giving money to someone so that person can pay a costume for no one than themselves are NSFW. :/
Yeah, I really want to know what kind of "perks/rewards/whatever" said cosplayers offer for having their goals met.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
NiGHTmaren
...into Dreams
Modoka Magica

To each their own but I could never expect anyone else to fund something like a hobby - heck, I have a hard time accepting gifts on my birthday or Christmas sometimes! So, it would be REALLY awkward to accept money from strangers or friends for something I consider fun and not necessary. I didn't even start cosplaying til my adult years, when I had a job and sufficient funds for costumes and travel expenses.

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Holiday Matsuri (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Suzie Q from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Edea Lee (various versions) from Bravely Default, Robotnik (genderbend) from Sonic, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
NiGHTmaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
improvised

If it's not breaking any rules, than I'm fine with it. If you don't like it, don't donate. Simple as that.
improvised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 02:34 AM   #13
Deathfire
Eats Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
No... just no... Those sites are basically charity sites under my understanding and are meant for charity organizations and small business ventures to get funds they otherwise couldn't. Using that kind of site for a personal hobby seems kinda greedy and horrid.
THIS A BILLION.

I remember when these sites went up and it did start with people needing their projects funded (I was mostly looking at game and comic projects). Hearing things like this popping up is killing the whole purpose of those sites.

Cosplay should really only be funded by ones self unless they are legitimately trying to grow a business or charity organization.

:\
Deathfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 03:10 AM   #14
ChaosFoxCostuming

I didn't even know people were doing that on those site's wow that's just really weird I think. I would feel so weird if I asked for money like that I think it would be kind of embarrassing. I can understand some projects being started on there like funds for a cosplay magazine or something of the sorts but not to make your costume.
ChaosFoxCostuming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 03:27 AM   #15
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathfire View Post
Cosplay should really only be funded by ones self unless they are legitimately trying to grow a business or charity organization.
:\
Well in all seriousness, who is going to donate to fund someone else's cosplay? Especially in today's economy where money is tight to begin with -- what would be the mindset of someone who would give money to that? To a total stranger, even.