Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Legend of Zelda

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
munchkinqueen

Twilight Princess Zelda Help!

So I am starting on my TP Zelda costume very soon, and I am in need of a bit of help! I want to do really well on this and am putting a lot of time into it. I would really like to make mine stand out! I have a few questions though. First, I am having trouble on deciding what type of fabric to use. I want something that is elegant, but isn't too expensive (but if needed I'm willing to splurge on this part) and isn't too hard to work with. What works best with this costume? Second, what is the pest way to get the details (such as the harps or designs on apron and gloves) onto the fabric? Can I screenprint some of them? Is there a fabric paint that turns out looking beautifully? Or should I learn to embroider them on? Third, I am in need of a good tutorial/pattern for the crown, belt-thing, and piece that links the pauldrons together. And fourth, what are some details that you feel always get messed up or left out in this costume? I really want to make it stand out among the rest, and also want to include as many beautiful details as possible! Also, any other tutorials/patterns you know of that might be of use to me are really appreciated! Thank you so much for the help!
munchkinqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Princess_Zelda
Made in the 80's

From the looks of it, you're just starting out in cosplay in general and you want to take on a very complexed costume as your first cosplay. I would highly recommend starting with something simpler. Everyone makes tons of mistakes and waste so much materials/time because of the lack of experience they have. If you make something simple, you'll be more confident with the next project (whether it's advanced or not).

But if you still insist on making a Zelda costume, here are the things I would suggest:

Fabric - It's entirely preference; some cosplayers prefer light weight fabrics, some prefer heavier weights. Go to a fabric store and look for a fabric that suits the color first. Then check for texture and durability. If everything satisfies you, then get the fabric. You'll need anywhere between 5-8 yards, but that entirely depends on the pattern you're using (assuming you're using one).

Gown/Glove Detailing - This is also a preference. I hand embroidered most of my details on and I like the results. You can sew, paint, heat & bond, hand embroider, or machine embroider the details on. I don't know what your skill level in any of these categories, so I would suggest perhaps painting since it's the easiest concept.

Armor & Accessories - Another preference. Armor making is not easy for beginner cosplayers. Most start out with craft foam, but some make it from Wonderflex, model magic, plastic sheeting. I used Wonderflex for my armor and detailed it with craft foam; the accessories I sculpted and then molded and cast in resin. As for a tutorial, I don't know any that are available on the internet. I think you're going to need to just do trial and error, but you learn more from trial and error methods than someone simply telling you how to do it.

I'm not sure what you're asking about for the last question; what was the more difficult parts of the costume? I'd say for me, the bodice was pretty tricky to make. There's no existing pattern for it and it's harder to fit to yourself when making it by yourself.

But like I said, start with a costume that is easier and closer to your skill level. If you REALLY want to cosplay Zelda that badly, maybe try cosplaying Tetra from Wind Waker (still Zelda) or maybe Malon or Saria from Ocarina of Time. Whichever your choice, good luck

"The SoCal Cosplay Gathering is one of the greatest gatherings EVER!!!!11" -Snapple Fact #81
Wait! Don't drink the black stuff!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Princess_Zelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
munchkinqueen

Thank you so much for the help! This will be my second cosplay, my first being suiseiseki from rozen maiden. However, I've done a lot of other sewing/crafting projects, just none this detailed, and I thought it would be a fun challenge! I wanted to hear some advice from other cosplayers abut some of the stuff I wasn't too sure about. I'm making sure to give myself lots of time though to make sure it's done well. Thanks again for the help!
Unread 07-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
Princess_Zelda
Made in the 80's

Very good approach! It's always great to do a challenging costume, but not one that's going to wear you out. I think you'll do great! And I hope to see photos in the future!

"The SoCal Cosplay Gathering is one of the greatest gatherings EVER!!!!11" -Snapple Fact #81
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
munchkinqueen

Thank you! I'm so bad about uploading photos (still haven't uploaded ones from my last cosplay) But I'll definitely have to make an effort for this one!
Unread 07-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

As Princess Zelda said, this is a daring attempt for a first cosplay! But I bet you can do it! Just make sure you have a very good plan of action before starting- chances are things won't go as planned on your first try, but it's better to have a well-thought out plan before jumping into something. PZ also gave some very good advice about fabric and techniques.

As for the armor, Lillyxandra actually has a purchase and print pattern and tutorial on her website, here. It includes the pattern and instructions for the pauldrons, diadem, and belt.
Unread 10-31-2012, 02:48 AM   #7
Alkaas

I give embroidered most of my information on and I suchlike the results. You can sew, space, temperature & trammels, assist aggrandize, or organization ornament the details on. I don't know what your power raze in any of these categories, so I would evoke perhaps picture since it's the easiest concept.
Alkaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
acciomidnight

Help with pattern

So I'm attempting a Zelda costume as well from TP. It's not my first, I've done Princess Peach previously. But with that one I was doing it for Halloween and wasn't as focused on making it exact, more for fun. Also, my master seamstress mother is helping me make it. (yes I'm 23 and still having my mum make me costumes)

Anyway, I have the dress down, I'm having issues getting the bodice right. I'm trying to find a similar pattern that I can tweak. On all the forums I've looked at, no one is having a problem with that. If someone could put me in the right direction that would be great.
acciomidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
Princess_Zelda
Made in the 80's

I hate to say it, but there's not pattern (not that I know of) that is a similar cut or style. I would suggest draping it; make your own pattern, that's how I did mine You'll find yourself feeling more accomplished and proud of your costume by doing so!

Unread 11-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
GeneralCeles

tunic

Hello! hoping someone here could help me? I am currently working on the ssbb dark version of twilight princess zelda. i was wondering if anyone knows what the runes are on her tunic? i cant see them very clearly on any pictures and i definately cant see them on the back and i really want to get the embroidery exact!
GeneralCeles is offline   Reply With Quote