Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
Reatrea
Little 'ol Me

Red face To the Pointe (Pointe Shoes and Cosplay)

Hey guys!!

There are so many lovely ballet cosplays out these days and so many opportunities to make some! What girl doesn't want a tutu to prance around in?? <3

However, please, I beg you. Do not use pointe shoes is you are not trained. If you MUST buy them and wear them, do not go up en pointe! (On the tops of your toes.) As easy as it looks, it's so easy to injure yourself in them!! Without training your muscles are not ready to support all of your weight on your toes. It is an unnatural way to hold yourself and without practice you will jump up there wrong and pull something at best, or break something at worst.

I can not stress this enough, ladies (or gents). Please don't think that I am talking from a high horse, I just don't want anyone to get hurt out of excitement!!. I love you all in this community and it would break my heart to see one of you get injured!!

Lots of love!
~ Reatrea (Jr. Ballet Instructor)
===============][===========================
"Rejoice in thy master's punishment for it is deserved and improves thee."- Warhammer 40k
"My patience is not unlimited... unlike my authority." -Inquisitor Eisenhorn
Reatrea is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2012, 04:12 AM   #2
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Your statement doesn't seem "high horse" at all, I totally agree. I've never done ballet in my life and even I know not to wear proper pointe shoes but rather ballet slippers if I ever cosplayed a ballet-like character.
I've seen some cosplayers wear actual point shoes, but their posture suggested they had been trained - but even then many chose not to stay en pointe for very long. Possibly for safety.
I think someone posted a story in a similar thread that came up a couple of months ago where they witnessed a girl wearing pointe shoes to be "accurate" but had no training whatsoever. She didn't go en pointe though apparently, but even still, those shoes must be extremely uncomfortable to walk around in all day..
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
Venciel Links

I bought and practiced in my ballet shoes 5 days before a convention and I've never went on pointe before. Took me a while to get the balance, especially since I'm FAR from ballerina size and I managed to go on pointe all weekend. Could never dance in them tho, or walk on pointe, just get on pointe for a picture. Not disproving you or boasting, just also pointing (<--HA ) out that there can be exceptions....sometimes. I do still agree with what you're saying, I wouldn't want anyone to try something they aren't confident they can achieve, and practice is best. Safety first. I may just be a crazy bastard, because I'm going to upgrade to ballet heels for my next cosplay. :'D
Venciel Links is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Rinoa07
Anemic Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venciel Links View Post
I bought and practiced in my ballet shoes 5 days before a convention and I've never went on pointe before. Took me a while to get the balance, especially since I'm FAR from ballerina size and I managed to go on pointe all weekend. Could never dance in them tho, or walk on pointe, just get on pointe for a picture. Not disproving you or boasting, just also pointing (<--HA ) out that there can be exceptions....sometimes. I do still agree with what you're saying, I wouldn't want anyone to try something they aren't confident they can achieve, and practice is best. Safety first. I may just be a crazy bastard, because I'm going to upgrade to ballet heels for my next cosplay. :'D
It takes ballerinas years to train themselves to be able to go en pointe. And even then, should probably be able to do it without shoes. Pointe shoes are meant for support, not to actually enable you to stand on tip-toe. You could have caused serious injury to your knees, ankles, and feet. I'm surprised you didn't, to be honest.

And for the record, size doesn't matter in ballet technique, and it doesn't affect whether one is able to go en pointe or not.
Unread 07-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I can't agree more. I dance ballet but not on pointe (haven't been dancing long enough and I still wouldn't go en pointe anyway because it's SO bad for your feet), and I've heard plenty of horror stories about terrible foot injuries from TRAINED dancers. Broken toes, bruises, bunions, injured arches, sprained or broken ankles, etc. I couldnt imagine what could happen if someone who has never had ballet training tried to do so. And on a more practical note, pointe shoes aren't made for walking around a con. They're uncomfortable as hell. And expensive as hell. I'd just wear regular ballet slippers; they ARE dance shoes, and if you practice how to do turnout and arching your feet/toes correctly for photos, it looks perfectly fine.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
BriarRose88

I've also danced ballet (not en pointe) and it is SOsososo SO much more than just balancing on your toes. I cannot stress enough that if you do not have the proper YEARS of ballet training and approval from a professional instructor do NOT ever attempt to go en pointe no matter how much you think you'll be able to do it.

I see pictures of cosplayers doing this and I see sickling, no turn out at all, shoes aren't tied properly or the fit is wrong, and bent knees. That one picture is not worth the injuries. Even if you don't see any immediate injury that doesn't mean you haven't done any harm.
BriarRose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
paperyu

Oh thanks for posting this! I do pointe (but I haven't been doing that long, just 3 years) and I get so nervous whenever I see someone at a con with pointe shoes...of course I'm far from the best dancer out there, but it is usually quite easy to tell when someone doesn't have any training and they look like they're going to hurt themselves...

But yeah, even as a dancer myself, I probably wouldn't wear pointe shoes to a convention since they're so expensive and need to get replaced so often. That, and I already hurt myself enough at dance class. :P I already get pretty sore after two hours of class, I can't imagine walking around the whole day at a con in pointe shoes!

Planned Conventions:
Arisia (Frodo Baggins)
Anime Boston (Nonon/Juliet Starling)
PAX East (Popstar Ahri)
Connecticon (???)
paperyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

Princess Tutu cosplayer here. I use demi-pointe shoes for my costumes - they look real (and are always mistaken for real pointe shoes), but lack the shank and the hard box that are associated with real pointe shoes. The shank is a rigid piece on the bottom of the shoe that acts as a support for the dancer. The box is the part up front that the dancer balances on when en pointe. If you want the look without the danger, I recommend them. However, I will advise that they are satin, and thus slippery like the real deal, so exercise caution. And a softer box does not equal no box - there will be discomfort. I use gel pads in the front to ease them, they are actually bearable and I can wear them for long periods of time without feeling pain.

It's also good to do research on how to properly tie the shoes (with ribbons) and how to use elastics. Also, you'd be surprised how much work goes into wearing pointe shoes. Dancers actually do several things to prep the shoes (there are videos on Youtube about it) and there is a lot that goes into breaking them in. One doesn't simply tie them on and dance in them.

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA) - FandomCon (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Princess Garnet (coronation gown) from FFIX, Edea Lee (various costmes) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

My sister dances, I see what she has gone through to wear those shoes. The muscles in her legs are trained for it. I would never dream of putting on those shoes and playing around...I see what her feet look like. :P
Unread 07-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #10
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Dancer here, I've done point for a few years. I dunno why anyone would try to wear them around a con.... they're painful to wear and walk in never mind dancing and going up. Plus they're so expensive, why waste so much money on something you cannot use properly and will wear out within a few months time because pointe shoes do not last forever and wear out faster if not stored properly and taken care of. But yea you can easily screw up the tendons in your ankle and mess up your toes.

Quote:
You didn't really prove anything except that you probably did it incorrectly and could have hurt yourself... I'm offended you took something I hold so dear and treated it like that. Sorry... but I just never understand how someone could just slap on a pair of shoes without the necessary blood sweat and tears that dancers put in without proper research and training to take some pretty pictures.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'

Last edited by BlondieSundae : 07-04-2012 at 12:32 AM.
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 12:52 AM   #11
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
I took a gander at your photos, as I was curious if what I figured was going on, was going on, and it was. You're not all the way up on the box of the shoe. It makes it much easier and not as painful if you are not all the way en pointe (danced en pointe for several years and trained in ballet for over a decade). This is dangerous AND painful eventually. Many people can simply put on pointe shoes and balance on the box without good posture, straight knees and legs, turned out feet, blah blah blah. It's really no accomplishment to throw on a pair and stand on your toes for a short period of time without any amazing technique or posture to go with it. It actually makes photos look less than great cosplay wise.

Your cosplay IS amazing though! I love it! It's really great! It shows you are not a dancer though...but my main concern is the danger you're putting your feet, legs, ankles, and knees in (muscles, tendons, etc). It really isn't worth it...my friend was mad she wasn't ready to be en pointe when I was, so she got her mom to buy her pointe shoes and she injured herself badly. She had to have surgery. Pointe shoes seems harmless, but they really aren't.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 03:26 AM   #12
Venciel Links

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbabycakes View Post
I took a gander at your photos, as I was curious if what I figured was going on, was going on, and it was. You're not all the way up on the box of the shoe. It makes it much easier and not as painful if you are not all the way en pointe (danced en pointe for several years and trained in ballet for over a decade). This is dangerous AND painful eventually. Many people can simply put on pointe shoes and balance on the box without good posture, straight knees and legs, turned out feet, blah blah blah. It's really no accomplishment to throw on a pair and stand on your toes for a short period of time without any amazing technique or posture to go with it. It actually makes photos look less than great cosplay wise.

Your cosplay IS amazing though! I love it! It's really great! It shows you are not a dancer though...but my main concern is the danger you're putting your feet, legs, ankles, and knees in (muscles, tendons, etc). It really isn't worth it...my friend was mad she wasn't ready to be en pointe when I was, so she got her mom to buy her pointe shoes and she injured herself badly. She had to have surgery. Pointe shoes seems harmless, but they really aren't.
Well, I know that it was slightly awkward because I have extremely tight hamstrings. I am probably the most inflexable person I know. I can't get on my toes and straighten my legs because it's too painful on my hamstrings. So, that probably played into my weird posture and the reason my knees are bent. Also, I'd move around sightly to keep my balance. I'm not so good that I can hold perfectly still so a lot of my pictures are me in slight movement which is why non of them are exactly the same. I'd imagine it was painfully obvious to a professional eye that I wasn't a dancer at all.

It was an accomplishment for me, a self accomplishment that I could actually do it without falling on my face half blind from that mask and 35lbs overweight. It doesn't have to be a huge accomplishment in the world of cosplay or ballet. I know I'm probably not the first or last.

I heed your words, trust me, I'm not so vain and self absorbed that I don't think you're right about the dangers because I wasn't hurt for a weekend. This costume probably won't be one I'll wear for years and this was one of the reason I was thinking of switching to ballet heels. Tho I'm still on my toes, I have the support of a heel behind me.

That was my first hand made cosplay, so I greatly appreciate the compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazItUp View Post
Dancer here, I've done point for a few years. I dunno why anyone would try to wear them around a con.... they're painful to wear and walk in never mind dancing and going up. Plus they're so expensive, why waste so much money on something you cannot use properly and will wear out within a few months time because pointe shoes do not last forever and wear out faster if not stored properly and taken care of. But yea you can easily screw up the tendons in your ankle and mess up your toes.

You didn't really prove anything except that you probably did it incorrectly and could have hurt yourself... I'm offended you took something I hold so dear and treated it like that. Sorry... but I just never understand how someone could just slap on a pair of shoes without the necessary blood sweat and tears that dancers put in without proper research and training to take some pretty pictures.
I wasn't out to really prove anything against what the op was saying. It wasn't suppose to be a 'WELL I DIDZ ETT SO N E 1 CAN! UR POINT IS INVALID!' I was just sharing an experience.

I'm sure I did it incorrectly, I mean, I only remember so much from my old ballet classes and can only learn so much from Youtube.

Sorry you take offense, but I'm not sorry or ashamed that I did/do it. I could say the same thing about cooking. I could be offended that people watch those short cut shows like Rachel Ray and those 'dinner in 10 mins' or instant rice/potatoes/etc. without knowing the flavors and blends of spices, how to prep your pallet or what tools to use, the study and heat of training in a kitchen. The proper way to fillet a fish and knowing the round fish from the flat fish or a dice from a mince a roux from a slurry. For taking something I love with a passion and went to school for and put blood, sweat and tears into and they just slap something in a pan from a package and call it good without proper research or training.

But, I don't because it's a waste to be offended over it.

Maybe if I was saying that ballet was easy and anyone could do it and I consider myself a dancer because I could get on pointe for a photo for a few minutes, I could understand the offense, but I didn't and I don't and I still have respect for the art as much as I did before I cosplayed.

Also, I wasn't aware of wear and tear increasing faster due to poor storage of the shoe. I'll be sure to look into that.

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinoa07 View Post
It takes ballerinas years to train themselves to be able to go en pointe. And even then, should probably be able to do it without shoes. Pointe shoes are meant for support, not to actually enable you to stand on tip-toe. You could have caused serious injury to your knees, ankles, and feet. I'm surprised you didn't, to be honest.

And for the record, size doesn't matter in ballet technique, and it doesn't affect whether one is able to go en pointe or not.
I'm sort of surprised myself. I've always been good at jumping in weird shoes and walking around in them. Pony heels, plats, gaga shoes and even when I tried on ice skates for the first time I walked around them in my kitchen to break them in with ease. I think it's just crazy luck or something.

I was always told that weight does matter, that ballerinas are super small so that there isn't so much strain on the ankles and toes.
Unread 07-04-2012, 04:57 AM   #13
Venciel Links

You know, even though some of you are ripping me a new one in your own way, it's kind of nice that a bunch of strangers on the internet would care enough to do so. I think I'm getting lectured for my actions here then I do from my friends and family. Ironic, but sweet.
Unread 07-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #14
RydiaValentine
Many talented Lady

It's ridiculous to go to the extent of being offended just by seeing Princess Tutu cosplayers posing, or wearing pointe shoes, regardless if they're posing on pointe for a few minutes or not. OK, a trained ballerina can recommend cosplayers not to do pointe if they were not trained because it's a risk for their health, but I've seen people deleting their Princess Tutu cosplays due to the insane amount of insults they got just for cosplaying the character.

For the people who do insults Princess Tutu cosplayers, I say seriously guys, it's a character. It's a fucking costume. Get over yourselves.
RydiaValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
Lucilia

If you cosplay a character with wings, you don't jump off of buildings under the presumption that you can fly. If you cosplay a character who is super strong, you don't try to lift up a car under the presumption you're strong enough.

I think this falls under the same category. Being able to go en pointe is sort of like a superpower in that way - cosplaying can make you feel awesome, but it doesn't actually give you superpowers. Be safe! ^_^
Lucilia is offline   Reply With Quote