Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #61
MattxLover
Angel of the Freakin Lord

YOU GO GIRL! Thanks so much for posting this. I was a 'big girl' too, not very long ago. Maxing out at 210 because I was on a medication (for tic disorder) that made me gain weight, I was SO afraid to cosplay because of all the hateful comments and mail I would get. I was healthy (meaning, I could run at nearly the pace I could before, and I was rarely out of breath, because I still worked out) I just couldn't lose the weight. It would make me sad to see people--nice, sweet, usually fun people--become nasty to myself and others for our weight. I stuck with it, still cosplayed, but sometimes it didn't seem worth it to spend money and time and energy on something that no one would appreciate. Last year, I healthily lost all the weight I had gained when they found a new medicine that would satiate my disorder without making me gain weight, and am now at a healthy size 6. My natural stats have always been tall (5'11) but my natural figure was lean, and now I am back at that and feeling great. That being said, I will NEVER EVER forget those four years of hell, because I NEVER EVER want to put anyone in the position I was in. I love each and every story here because you are ALL gorgeous, and every time I see/take a picture of a big girl cosplay, I squeal with delight for the bravery, the beauty, and the straight up awesomeness that every single one of us possess. To horribly (and wonderfully) botch Queen, "Fat bottomed girls, you make the cosplay world go 'round!"

ACEN 2014
-----------
Dean Winchester (Supernatural)
MattxLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #62
Sanda
SH obsessed.

Very disturbing that ladies with your looks get threatening voicemails and people hacking your accounts. How on earth could complete strangers decide to pick on you like that? So disgusting and disturbing. Good for you for having made it to where you are today, it was not an easy road at all. I have some body image issues, and the pathetic part is that no one even said anything mean to me in my entire life. I feel so nasty seeing what people said to you, it also makes me realize how grateful I am to never have been the target of hate like that. It also makes me wonder WHERE do people get the energy to be so mean from? I mean it is just ridiculous how far they went.

Rock that bunny suit, I think it looks awesome on you and you are a cute Asuka! Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us too, that couldn't have been easy to have to relive ;_;

Last edited by Sanda : 08-24-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #63
MirniMausi
Just live more

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuguReinachan View Post
I am a size 18/20 and this was very inspirational...I struggle with my weight because not only am I Plus Sized I am disabled...I don't really like to cosplay because I fear someone hating the way I portray the character (being in either a wheelchair or on crutches) and being "fat" But I adore seeing other plus size women who can rock their curves. I actually am more curvy than fat but my proportions are weird because of the scoliosis that accompanies my Cerebral Palsy...Not to mention being from a loooow income family and having to pay extra for custom sizing is just depressing...But this thread makes me happy.
Don't let a wheelchair stop you from cosplaying! I've seen some very cool cosplayers in wheelchairs on my last two cons! One was dressed as Mario! It was super-epic because the wheelchair kinda made me think of Mario cart.

How about making the costumes yourself? It's cheaper than commissioning and has the advantage to fit your costume to your size perfectly. That's basically why I do it as well

~Up Next~
Yoko Minato/ Kamen Rider Marika (Kamen Rider Gaim)
MirniMausi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #64
MirniMausi
Just live more

I don't really get the point in ideals of beauty spread these days. Why would curvy, pretty women want to look as if they were almost starving to death?

I think a beautiful bodyshape is not determined by size but by a healthy look and confidence.
I've always gotten rude comments about my weight, even though I was rather a bit chubby than fat. Not only from my classmates, but also from my own father. When I was a child, this almost ruined me, seriously. I had NO self esteem at all. What really made me the person I am today were anime. Through the stories and messages I've seen there, I've regained my confidence and had the power to forget about rude comments.

Nontheless, I try to lose weight both for my health and because I'm super-vain when it comes to cosplay. I want to please myself when I wear a cosplay and for certain types of costumes, I certainly wouldn't, so I decided to do something.

Neither skinny nor plus-sized are options for me, I want to be somewhere in the middle. I like my curvy shape because I love Sailor Moon and in a leotard like theirs, it looks best if you fill it. I don't like it when people are so skinny the costumes just hang from their body.
But on the other hand, I also don't want to press in an outfit that doesn't compliment me but instead shows all the flaws of my body, which a leaotard certainly does. A flat tummy and nice legs are also a necessity to me.

However, it is a mystery to me why people have to constantly bash or bully others. What are they getting from this? I would never want to be someone who has such a low self esteem that he has to make other feel bad in order to feel good himself. Srsly, bullies are the most pitiful type of people on this world.

~Up Next~
Unread 08-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #65
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

I think the thing that a lot of people need to realize is that a person's size is not proportional to their health, which is likely where the stigma against larger bodies comes from. There are just as many ill skinny people as larger people, though for some reason whenever someone looks like they, you know, eat, people jump to the conclusion that "you're so fat if you don't lose weight right now you'll get diabetes and DIE!". I've met way too many people like that.

I'm 5'2" and 200lb, but I am healthy. The only thing wrong with me is my vitamin d levels are a bit low, but other than that my blood pressure is perfect, my blood sugar levels are average, and I've always been fit as a fiddle. I rarely even get sicknesses like the common cold. XD

Anywho, I tend to just ignore what people think since society's standards of beauty are anything but healthy if you ask me.

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #66
Shouta
Bacon master

I think a woman with some meat on her bones look better than some stick woman that wear size 1 and look like she dieing.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #67
Kikaisaigono
girl on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouta View Post
I think a woman with some meat on her bones look better than some stick woman that wear size 1 and look like she dieing.
Honestly it is comments like these that are just a destructive. I get what you are trying to say, but skinny girls are not with out body issues of their own. If you were like me when I had an eating disorder, I was starving myself to look pretty and be perfect for everyone, and still people were snarking me. I couldn't escape the snarking if I were 200 lbs or 70 lbs. Skinny girls are often criticized on the internet for "not having curves" or "no breasts" or looking "sick".

Some girls can't gain weight, and some do starve themselves. If you've ever had an eating disorder, you'd know that it's a miserable experience, no one is happy at all while they are suffering from it. You're turning in to a living skeleton and sick because you aren't feeding your body and losing hair in clumps and passing out -- and still 60lbs seems too fat.

Girls thin and fat, tall or short, whatever should not be snarked for their size. I just hope everyone takes away from this that it's not just us chubby girls that need love!

And again thank you all for your inspiring responses. You are all awesome, every last one of you. Keep on truckin'.

2012 Cosplays:
Bunny Asuka Langley - Sylvia Christel (No More Heroes 2) - Matryoshka Gumi - Kingdom Hearts I Yuffie - Asuka Plugsuit - Seras Victoria - Mami Tomoe - Anarchy Panty - Asuka Plugsuit (damaged)

Conventions I will be attending in 2012:
MomoCon 2012 - Anime Boston - C2E2 - Anime - St. Louis - Acen - Wizard World Chicago - Anime Southeast - Anime Weekend Atlanta - Youmacon
...and more pending!
Kikaisaigono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #68
MirniMausi
Just live more

In the end, beauty is determind by every single person's personal taste. And as for that, every girl, may she be chubby or skinny, small or tall, in a wheelchair or in running boots, is pretty for someone.

Bashing others because they do not fit someone's personal idea of beauty is just plain stupid.

Don't let anyone bring you down girls And some goes for the boys too!!! <3

~Up Next~
Unread 08-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #69
Vault21

Thanks for adding the part about the boys at the end, MirniMausi. Though I'm not about to compare my angst to another person's, I often feel ignored when topics like this come up. I'm a guy, and avoided cosplaying for years because I thought I was "too fat" to do it. Honestly, it still gets to me, sometimes.

Still, I figure, if I'm at least attempting to be relatively healthy, then I don't have anything to feel bad about. That's what I try to tell myself, anyway.

Heck of a lot easier to type it, than to believe it. So, I'm really happy for the OP that she made it to that point. Everyone deserves to feel that way.
Vault21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 11:03 PM   #70
RukiaBunnyPyon
SHSL Yandere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirniMausi View Post
Don't let a wheelchair stop you from cosplaying! I've seen some very cool cosplayers in wheelchairs on my last two cons! One was dressed as Mario! It was super-epic because the wheelchair kinda made me think of Mario cart.

How about making the costumes yourself? It's cheaper than commissioning and has the advantage to fit your costume to your size perfectly. That's basically why I do it as well
Thank you so much. Unfortunately my only talent is in wigs...I can't sew to save my life
Unread 08-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #71
Vault21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RukiaBunnyPyon View Post
Thank you so much. Unfortunately my only talent is in wigs...I can't sew to save my life
You could always try to find someone who sews, but, can't make wigs.
Vault21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #72
Aeternus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-and-Chips-Yum View Post
I think the thing that a lot of people need to realize is that a person's size is not proportional to their health, which is likely where the stigma against larger bodies comes from. There are just as many ill skinny people as larger people, though for some reason whenever someone looks like they, you know, eat, people jump to the conclusion that "you're so fat if you don't lose weight right now you'll get diabetes and DIE!". I've met way too many people like that.
This.

I'm overweight, but not obese, and I realize I should shed a few pounds just to be healthier (I'm working on that). However, I don't have any outstanding medical conditions. My vitals (blood pressure, heart rate, etc.) have always been good and my blood sugars, when I've had them taken, have been normal, as well. I just need to get more physically fit from a cardio standpoint. However, being a nurse, I'm used to moving around a lot - when I'm working, I'm walking around for about 10-11 hours! I'm also convinced my body makes both muscle and fat - I have extra curves from fat but my calves, for example, are larger than most girls' but it's all muscle there.

Then I have a friend who occasionally does modeling work. She has a typical model's body - tall and very thin. I'm not close friends with her, though, so I didn't know what her lifestyle was like. I thought, "Oh my goodness, she must hardly eat anything!" But then she came along on a mini-vacation with mutual friends of ours, and we all got talking. She said that she tried running recently to try to get into shape and afterwards, she was very sore. I was shocked that she even needed to exercise! And as the weekend went on, I saw she ate the same things as us, even junk food. Heck, she ate even more junk food than I did!

And again, in contrast, I had a friend in high school who has a similar body structure to me. She has a shorter yet stockier build and most would think of her as a bigger girl - not plus size but not thin, either. However, she was an excellent athlete, playing mostly basketball and rugby. Even around her teammates, she was always outrunning them while getting out of breath less.

So, yeah, you can't tell a person's fitness or health just by looking at them. We are all built differently!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RukiaBunnyPyon View Post
Do you know how to sew at all, even hand sewing? Even if you know only a little, try sewing just a really basic garment. I only know how to hand sew and just do that for cosplaying ^^; It's tedious and it takes a long time so I'm limited in terms of what I can make, but it still gets the job done. One day, once I get more comfortable with things, I'll try learning a sewing machine. But, in any case, it's a very learn-able skill!

Last edited by Aeternus : 09-01-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Aeternus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #73
MirniMausi
Just live more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault21
Thanks for adding the part about the boys at the end, MirniMausi.
You're welcome Even though most pressure about weight and shape is on girls, boys tend to have similar or even the same problems these days, so in the end, it's a topic that concerns all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeternus
Do you know how to sew at all, even hand sewing? Even if you know only a little, try sewing just a really basic garment. I only know how to hand sew and just do that for cosplaying ^^; It's tedious and it takes a long time so I'm limited in terms of what I can make, but it still gets the job done. One day, once I get more comfortable with things, I'll try learning a sewing machine. But, in any case, it's a very learn-able skill!
I can't really sew myself, but I'm trying to learn it~ I can hand-sew a bit, from what I learnt in elemetary school, but as for machines, it's still hard for me to do. Except for my moogle cos, my grandma did most of the sewing on my current cosplays. But now that I move, I finally have to learn it myself. I got myself my own machine and some books and I'll give my best from now on ^^
I think no one is perfect at everything about his cosplay, but you can try to do at least decent on everything (and btw, Rukia, I envy your talent with wigs. I totally suck at wig styling, lol).

~Up Next~
Unread 09-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #74
Rangiku12
&lt;3 Old School &lt;3

On the subject of sewing I don't know how and when I try the machine tends to mess up causing me to stress out. Ive asked for commissions but I usually get ignored or get some crazy quote while others smaller then me get normal quotes. I was at the point that I was going to give up on ever cosplaying since I can't seem to get even one costume. Only thing I can do is hope someone my size sells their costumes and spend what little money I have in hopes I get it or just quit before I ever get to my first con.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #75
arkham71
Arkham Productions LLC

I sent this privately to Kikaisaigono and she asked me to share my stories with everyone so other guys with eating disorders out there know that they arenít alone. I have to admit that I am hesitant to post this as it is not something that I like to tell people about. However if Kikaisaigono thinks that it will help others then I am willing to give it a shot. So here is what I sent her in its entirety:

"Your story is very inspiring, and your confidence is amazing. I am sorry that you were bullied and that people have not been kind to you. I have been on the receiving end of that as well thanks to my own struggles with my weight. I am passing you this information in confidence because of the stigma associated with men who have eating disorders.

A lot of people who havenít gone through it themselves or arenít part of the psychological community tend to think of eating disorders as being an exclusively female issue. However I assure you that it isnít. At my worst I was counting the number of grapes I was eating each day to ensure that I didnít exceed my ďgoalĒ of 600 calories per day while walking back and forth around campus as often as my schedule would allow me to. Looking back I wonder how I survived my freshman year of college due to the amount of exercise I did on such a low number of calories each day. To make a long story short I went from 210 pounds to 150 in less than 8 months. Since Iím barrel chested that put me at roughly 30-35 pounds underweight for my height. Thatís when my doctor told me I needed to stop dieting or I was going to die and he put me on ant-depressants.

Eventually I gained all of the weight back because I was afraid that if I ever dieted again then I would end up anorexic like I was when I was 18. This in turn eventually led to the development of type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and hyperlipidemia when I got older. Fast forward to a year ago. My new doctor told me if I didnít lose weight it would kill me. He changed my medications around and I went from 240 to 210 in 4 months and lost 8 inches off m waist without obsessing over food. It was wonderful! I was well on my way to my ideal weight of 185!

Then I had a massive heart attack 6 months ago and almost died. The doctors said that I had carried the weight too long and I had developed blockages which ruptured due to my increased activity after losing the weight. So here I sit at my desk at work, back at 220 pounds due to my long convalescence. While I am now in okay health my doctors are still after me to continue to lose weight, but I get chest pains when I exercise too much, so I am in a catch 22.

At the ripe old age of 41 my lifelong struggle with my weight has literally almost killed me. However the doctors say that if I can lose down to 190 and stay there I will have a full recovery and have a good chance of living another 30-40 years. However I need to lose the weight slowly and exercise in moderation or I may have another heart attack.

So the moral of the story is that not being at a healthy weight (not too large nor too small) is very hazardous to your health. As with so many things in life we need to strike a balance if we want to be healthy in the long term.

My heart goes out to you and I hope that both of us can find the right balance for our physical, mental, and spiritual health.

Sincerely,

John"

I hope that this helps the guys out there who have similar issues....
Arkham Productions, LLC

A necromancer, a minister, a miko, a wiccan, a werewolf, and two vampires walk into a barÖ.
arkham71 is offline   Reply With Quote