Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:35 AM   #1
Zombieki11er
Zombie Response Team

Anime Expo Weapons Policy

Hey guys, so I wanted to ask about Anime Expo's weapon policy. I've read over the guidelines, especially for guns and I've looked over questions and responses for weapons policies in their forum. So I see one of the staff members saying that all realistic guns need to be colored 50% in a bright color, which I thought was a bit lame, but then I look at some AX photos from last year and see stuff like this:

http://funnypartyplanet.com/08_anime...12_p23_008.jpg

One kid with Mac 10s and another with a C96 and a Luger that has no orange tip. It seems like that rule has been around since 2010 and yet I see a lot of plain realistic weapons with a single orange tip when I look though previous AX convention dates. Am I missing something or is it just that AX more lenient when the convention comes around?
Zombieki11er is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Junyoopai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombieki11er View Post
Hey guys, so I wanted to ask about Anime Expo's weapon policy. I've read over the guidelines, especially for guns and I've looked over questions and responses for weapons policies in their forum. So I see one of the staff members saying that all realistic guns need to be colored 50% in a bright color, which I thought was a bit lame, but then I look at some AX photos from last year and see stuff like this:

http://funnypartyplanet.com/08_anime...12_p23_008.jpg

One kid with Mac 10s and another with a C96 and a Luger that has no orange tip. It seems like that rule has been around since 2010 and yet I see a lot of plain realistic weapons with a single orange tip when I look though previous AX convention dates. Am I missing something or is it just that AX more lenient when the convention comes around?
I've been browsing through Anime Expo 2013 videos (Youtube) and pictures and I've seen a lot of guns that were categorized as "real" to AX and they weren't following the policy at all. From what I read Anime Expo was a disorganized messed apparently (tons of miscommunications). I have a feeling some of those people didn't even go to the peace-bonding station and managed to get away with it.
Junyoopai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
JellySpIIrt
Hipster Loki is in.

AX became more strict this year regarding their weapon policy because of the LACC regulations and general LA law whatever (that's why they put in bag check and all that fun stuff).
In the past, it was basically, if you had a "dangerous" / semi-real looking gun or weapon, you needed to get it peace bound with their zip ties, and that's about it. They weren't really as strict about it in the past. Also, because they didn't have peace binding people wandering around everywhere, most weapons would slip through and go without anything on it.
You can see that some guns had brighter colors on it last year (Yoko's gun for example), but yeah, because there weren't tons of peace bonding people walking around and saying to put duct tape all over your stuff, most went unnoticed.

They were a little too strict this year, imho.

Facebook Fanpage
JellySpIIrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Ayame Uchiha
...got it memorized?

I agree with Jelly that AX weapons policy was too strict. I was cosplaying as Marshall/Marceline from Adventure Time. I was carrying around the bass axe which was made out of wood. No AX staffer came up to me and told me that there was anything wrong with it, so I figured it was ok. But just to make sure I would be safe, when I went into dealers hall, I specifically went to the weapons control to get it peace bonded.

The guy took it into his hands, told me it 'was a little heavy' but then he saw the screws at the bottom that were holding the strings on the bass, just like any normal bass guitar. He asked me if they were metal and truth be told, I have no idea because I had it commissioned. They were spray painted silver, but I'm just assuming they're metal. He immediately handed it back to me and told me that I couldn't have exposed metal and needed to leave the dealers hall. It was a 'hazard' because it could hurt someone. As an alternative, he told me to hot glue them so it would be ok. That would just ruin the prop completely. So I just took my bass and walked away; staying in the hall and going about my day.

The guy wasn't worried about the fact that the axe weighed about 5-6lbs and I could simply whack someone over the head with it. He was concerned about screws that aren't even really protruding out anywhere. They were just there to hold the strings in place. Maybe he was just in a bad mood I don't know; but I've never run into someone that uptight about some minor thing about a prop before.

Sakuracon, WA
Fanime, CA
Anime Expo, CA
SDCC, CA

Cosplays

Korra: Legend of Korra book 2
Armin: Attack on Titan (SnK)
Blake Belladona: RWBY
Matoi Ryuko: Kill la Kill
Aoba Seragaki: DRAMAtical Murder
Sailor Flame Princess: Sailor Moon/Adventure time crossover
Nagisa/Fem!Nagisa: Free!

Ayame Uchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Zombieki11er
Zombie Response Team

Well that's a real bummer. I hope they loosen up a bit for the next one, but I have a strange feeling that may be unlikely. So for next year if I were to show up with Kiritsugu's Contender with an orange tip on it, what would they say? Here's a picture similar to it:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YTBXhwxbL.jpg
It's completely plastic and PVC has no functionality except for the trigger and the break barrel function.

Also, what's the whole peacebonding process? Do you just bring your weapon to the table, show it to them and then they give you a pass or a colored zip-tie to put on your weapon or...?
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Junyoopai

Quote:
Well that's a real bummer. I hope they loosen up a bit for the next one, but I have a strange feeling that may be unlikely. So for next year if I were to show up with Kiritsugu's Contender with an orange tip on it, what would they say? Here's a picture similar to it:
It's completely plastic and PVC has no functionality except for the trigger and the break barrel function.

Also, what's the whole peacebonding process? Do you just bring your weapon to the table, show it to them and then they give you a pass or a colored zip-tie to put on your weapon or...?
I was about to say to post in AX forum but it looks like you did that already xD. Your gun prop looks good to go to me but in the end it's up to AX to decide (they'll probably tell you on the forums that you might have to paint or tape it 50% of a bright color if they label it as "realistic"). Looks like they're more strict on how they label gun props as "real" from what I'm seeing in the AX Weapon Policy forum.

At Fanime, Peace bonding process is pretty much you bringing your prop to the peace bonding station and they take a look at and they just zip-tie it. I brought my sword to Fanime's peace bonding station and they had a bright green zip-tie that said "Fanime 2013" and they asked me where I would like it. I just had it zip-tie on my handle.

So yeah pretty much you show it to them and they zip-tie it .
Junyoopai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Ayame Uchiha
...got it memorized?

Quote:

Peacebonding is when your prop is ziptied by AX staff, or any con staff saying that it is allowed to be carried around the halls inside and to be used in pictures. In other words they deem it 'safe' to have out and carried around. A lot of people do/don't get away with their props being peacebonded; mainly cause of size issues or it looks too realistic.

In past years, AX staff would actually walk around and come to you to check/peacebond props. This year there were hardly any at all; so we had to go to them. And because of this, a lot of people didn't even really bother.

I physically went up to the table in dealers hall and he pretty much denied my prop getting peacebonded. =.=

As for your gun, they may not let you have it because it doesn't have the neon orange tip on the end. They are super picky with guns so you have to be careful. They made my friend duct tape one side of hers so they knew it was safe. Cause considering how bad staff was this year, I can't imagine 2014.

Sakuracon, WA
Fanime, CA
Anime Expo, CA
SDCC, CA

Cosplays

Unread 07-17-2013, 02:05 AM   #8
Zombieki11er
Zombie Response Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayame Uchiha View Post
Peacebonding is when your prop is ziptied by AX staff, or any con staff saying that it is allowed to be carried around the halls inside and to be used in pictures. In other words they deem it 'safe' to have out and carried around. A lot of people do/don't get away with their props being peacebonded; mainly cause of size issues or it looks too realistic.

In past years, AX staff would actually walk around and come to you to check/peacebond props. This year there were hardly any at all; so we had to go to them. And because of this, a lot of people didn't even really bother.

I physically went up to the table in dealers hall and he pretty much denied my prop getting peacebonded. =.=

As for your gun, they may not let you have it because it doesn't have the neon orange tip on the end. They are super picky with guns so you have to be careful. They made my friend duct tape one side of hers so they knew it was safe. Cause considering how bad staff was this year, I can't imagine 2014.
So people didn't bother, as in, they just walked in with their props? Are/Were people actually able to do that so easily?

That's a bummer, what prop of yours did they turn down and for what reason?

Well, I hope what happened to your friend, doesn't happen to me. Would it make a difference if my gun had an neon orange tip or tape like this?

If anything, do you think I might be able to skip the peacebonding then pull the "I didn't know" card if they ask why it's not peacebonded? Or would I risk getting kicked out? I don't think I'll have the gun out much, except for pictures maybe and if I don't have it out, it would be in a shoulder holster underneath my coat as part of my character.
Unread 07-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
Black_The_White

The obvious problem with AX is its lack of consistency..especially with peacebonding and anything really cosplay related.

It honestly depends on the staff. It's going to be hit and miss if you decide not to bother with even trying. Some staff might not bother, some might harass you about it and tell you to go get it taken care of. If you have it in the open, it's better to have an orange tip or something to distinguish it because it does look realistic.

I could have sworn I saw someone going around peacebonding during the Day 1 registration line but I could be wrong.

Two years ago I had a prop that was chained scythes with a like..4-5 foot chain on it that was real, but super cheap. I was told it had to be taken off. But then there were Mortal Kombat people who had extremely long chains, I have no idea if they were real or not, but either way..you could hurt someone with plastic chains just as easily as metal ones.

but seriously, most cosplayers aren't out to go hurt someone with their props. I understand the gun policy, the rest of it just seems silly and pointless.

Conventions
Anime LA 2015
Fanime 2015

Last edited by Black_The_White : 07-17-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Black_The_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
Zombieki11er
Zombie Response Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junyoopai View Post
I was about to say to post in AX forum but it looks like you did that already xD. Your gun prop looks good to go to me but in the end it's up to AX to decide (they'll probably tell you on the forums that you might have to paint or tape it 50% of a bright color if they label it as "realistic"). Looks like they're more strict on how they label gun props as "real" from what I'm seeing in the AX Weapon Policy forum.

At Fanime, Peace bonding process is pretty much you bringing your prop to the peace bonding station and they take a look at and they just zip-tie it. I brought my sword to Fanime's peace bonding station and they had a bright green zip-tie that said "Fanime 2013" and they asked me where I would like it. I just had it zip-tie on my handle.

So yeah pretty much you show it to them and they zip-tie it .
I actually did post in their forum and they haven't gotten back to me about it, so that's a let down.

Wow, I didn't know Fanime was so close by! I should definitely check it out for next year. Sounds like they're pretty lenient with their policies, but how does Fanime compare to AX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_The_White View Post
It honestly depends on the staff. It's going to be hit and miss if you decide not to bother with even trying. Some staff might not bother, some might harass you about it and tell you to go get it taken care of. If you have it in the open, it's better to have an orange tip or something to distinguish it because it does look realistic.

Two years ago I had a prop that was chained scythes with a like..4-5 foot chain on it that was real, but super cheap. I was told it had to be taken off. But then there were Mortal Kombat people who had extremely long chains, I have no idea if they were real or not, but either way..you could hurt someone with plastic chains just as easily as metal ones.

but seriously, most cosplayers aren't out to go hurt someone with their props. I understand the gun policy, the rest of it just seems silly and pointless.
Well, I'll cross my fingers and hope they don't mind and yea, I'll make sure to get that orange tip on there.

That's pretty ridiculous. I think that as long as the chain isn't dragging on the ground, getting in people's way, or one of those heavy duty chains then I'd say it would be perfectly fine.

I can kinda see their reasoning behind all the safety measures, but I feel like they just take it a little too far. I think just making the rule the guns cannot have had the ability to shoot anything ever, along with the no metal policy is good enough, but then they just keep going and take it overboard.

Honestly nobody wants to hurt anyone, I'm pretty sure everyone there just wants to have a good time and look good while doing it
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
~Shana~
Make a contract with me!

I had a bow and arrow that I brought as a prop and when I was walking around they stopped me and just grabbed it out of my hands. This was my first time bringing a prop to the convention so it really freaked me out. They told me that my bow and arrow (about 1 foot long this thing is tiny) could potentially KILL SOMEONE because it has elastic on it. I told them that I could not shoot arrows with it and they peace bonded my arrow and told me that if they see me again they'll kick me out of the convention.

Con list 2014
ALA
Fanime
Anime Expo
Anime California
PMX
~Shana~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #12
Ayame Uchiha
...got it memorized?

Quote:
So people didn't bother, as in, they just walked in with their props? Are/Were people actually able to do that so easily?

That's a bummer, what prop of yours did they turn down and for what reason?

Well, I hope what happened to your friend, doesn't happen to me. Would it make a difference if my gun had an neon orange tip or tape like this?

If anything, do you think I might be able to skip the peacebonding then pull the "I didn't know" card if they ask why it's not peacebonded? Or would I risk getting kicked out? I don't think I'll have the gun out much, except for pictures maybe and if I don't have it out, it would be in a shoulder holster underneath my coat as part of my character.
It was Marceline's bass axe from Adventure Time. Do you really think those screws are that much of a threat? Not the axe itself? lol
http://25.media.tumblr.com/3768297a7...4xjro1_500.jpg

It may or may not make a difference. Like Black The White said, a lot of AX stuff weren't consistent with the rules. Some were flaky, others didn't care, and the rest were super strict . I feel like some of them even made up their own rules while the rest didn't even know rule 1. So it really all depends on who you run into.

I wouldn't suggest pulling the 'I don't know' card. Cause I've heard horror stories about staff breaking props cause they could and the cosplayer not being able to do anything about it. Cause if they argue, then there's a chance they can get kicked out. As weapon holders we walk a pretty fine line. It sucks big time. But if all you're using it for is for visuals and you don't take it out; I don't see a problem. It's if you're going to pose with it that staff really say anything.

Sakuracon, WA
Fanime, CA
Anime Expo, CA
SDCC, CA

Cosplays

Unread 07-18-2013, 02:22 AM   #13
Opacus02

Where you decide to pose/take pictures makes a big difference too. You can get away with a lot more if you stay outside the convention center because they're not responsible for whatever goes on outside. Most of the gatherings take place outside for both this reason and the fact that you don't need a badge to hang out outside the convention center, thus allowing anyone to attend the gathering.

The same is true, though to a lesser extent, for the lobbies and some of the hallways as they are considered public spaces. You don't need a badge until you start wandering into places that require it, like the entertainment hall and panels and vid rooms. However once you're inside the convention center they start enforcing the weapons policy.

I always suggest reading through the policy every year because some of it changes every year, and just hope for the best because some things just get overly enforced (like the exposed metal thing this year) and other times something will just float right along.
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #14
Zombieki11er
Zombie Response Team

Sorry for the late reply. One of my posts hit the spam filter and was never cleared ㄱ_ㄱ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shana~ View Post
I had a bow and arrow that I brought as a prop and when I was walking around they stopped me and just grabbed it out of my hands. This was my first time bringing a prop to the convention so it really freaked me out. They told me that my bow and arrow (about 1 foot long this thing is tiny) could potentially KILL SOMEONE because it has elastic on it. I told them that I could not shoot arrows with it and they peace bonded my arrow and told me that if they see me again they'll kick me out of the convention.
Looks like I'm getting a common theme on how AX reacts to "lethal" weapons. It could kill someone because of the elastic on it? Sounds like someone might have just pulled that right out of their arse. If you go to the convention again, would you ever bring a prop weapon again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayame Uchiha View Post
It was Marceline's bass axe from Adventure Time. Do you really think those screws are that much of a threat? Not the axe itself? lol
http://25.media.tumblr.com/3768297a7...4xjro1_500.jpg

It may or may not make a difference. Like Black The White said, a lot of AX stuff weren't consistent with the rules. Some were flaky, others didn't care, and the rest were super strict . I feel like some of them even made up their own rules while the rest didn't even know rule 1. So it really all depends on who you run into.

I wouldn't suggest pulling the 'I don't know' card. Cause I've heard horror stories about staff breaking props cause they could and the cosplayer not being able to do anything about it. Cause if they argue, then there's a chance they can get kicked out. As weapon holders we walk a pretty fine line. It sucks big time. But if all you're using it for is for visuals and you don't take it out; I don't see a problem. It's if you're going to pose with it that staff really say anything.
Hey, better be careful, when you're smash this thing into someone's skull, the screws could be a potential danger to someone XD.

Yea, I wouldn't want my gun smashed D8, so looks like I'll be taking it to the table for sure then. I'll keep a keen eye out for the ones that look like they don't really care. So, cross my fingers and I hope I can make it through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opacus02 View Post
Where you decide to pose/take pictures makes a big difference too. You can get away with a lot more if you stay outside the convention center because they're not responsible for whatever goes on outside. Most of the gatherings take place outside for both this reason and the fact that you don't need a badge to hang out outside the convention center, thus allowing anyone to attend the gathering.

The same is true, though to a lesser extent, for the lobbies and some of the hallways as they are considered public spaces. You don't need a badge until you start wandering into places that require it, like the entertainment hall and panels and vid rooms. However once you're inside the convention center they start enforcing the weapons policy.

I always suggest reading through the policy every year because some of it changes every year, and just hope for the best because some things just get overly enforced (like the exposed metal thing this year) and other times something will just float right along.
That's great to know, I'll make sure to keep that in mind when I'm there and if my gun does get declined.

For the most part, it seems like the weapons policy is the same for guns. Also, while it doesn't explicitly say that realistic guns need to be covered in 50% bright colors, the staff still strongly advocates it on the forum. There's absolutely no way I'm doing that to my gun.

Also, I'm trying to make my Contender fit 30-06 casings for more realism, but I'll probably just keep that to myself and keep the chamber clear while I'm at the peacebonding table. The thing is, I also want it to fit a 30-06 dummy cartridge, which is basically the actual bullet, but with the powder removed and a hole drilled through the primer so it can never be used to fire again. Do you think I would catch some hell if one of the staff saw me with that after I just brought it in? Or should I bring it to the peacebonding and convince them there?
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #15
Hakaider
Sith Happens..

Quote:
Also, I'm trying to make my Contender fit 30-06 casings for more realism, but I'll probably just keep that to myself and keep the chamber clear while I'm at the peacebonding table. The thing is, I also want it to fit a 30-06 dummy cartridge, which is basically the actual bullet, but with the powder removed and a hole drilled through the primer so it can never be used to fire again. Do you think I would catch some hell if one of the staff saw me with that after I just brought it in? Or should I bring it to the peacebonding and convince them there?

I really highly doubt that prop would pass muster. (And yes, you will catch some serious hell if they see you bringing it in.)

AX has this strange policy that even if the gun prop has been disabled, and all internal parts have been gutted out, it would not pass inspection because it used to be "functional".

Besides the safety colors, toy guns also cannot have metal parts. If you add metal parts on it, it will become "non-compliant". Your Contender gun has also have to be in their "safety colors" like pink, white, blue, red, orange or purple.

When it comes to the peacebonding stations, it would depend who is really manning the booth at that time, so it's always highly inconsistent. (What may pass three hours ago, may not pass muster afterwards.)

Currently, AX has some of the strictest rules, (And most ridiculous) at any anime or sci-fi con in North America.

Some people have pointed out in the past, regarding some of the ridiculous rules, but some of the staffer's reaction has usually been, "This is the rules for AX. If you don't like the rules, go somewhere else." (But we still want your money!)

Last edited by Hakaider : 07-19-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Hakaider is offline   Reply With Quote