Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-08-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
XxMai-chanxX
Momo

Lightbulb Ever Sexual-harassed at a con?

okay, okay. I know cons are fun and awesome to go to and they are and I enjoy them every time I go to one and I know others do too. But... we all have our fair share of weird experiences.

When I went to AX 2012 this year I cosplayed Stocking from Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt and I went to the Yaoi section. I was looking for pairings like NarutoXSasuke, USXUK, IzayaXShizuo, and ItalyXGermany. I'm underaged so I can't get the doushinji's that have a red sticker on it that means mature content. I'm not interested in that stuff I just wanted my fluff. BTW all the IzayaXShizuo were red.

Anyway, the guy who was there asked if I needed any help and he asked my age and stuff and said that i can only have the doushinji's with the white sticker. i'm 14 btw.

Then, he asked if I had a Panty with me and I said NO. But, then he said if I can take a picture and I said SURE and I was standing there waiting for a camera to come out and i was posing.

And here it comes... he said that i didn't get it. THEN, it clicked. I was so disgusted that i left immediately and the guy was like 10 years (maybe a little more) older than me and he was so rude! I'm a minor!

Anyway, anyone else have any other interesting stories.

Last edited by XxMai-chanxX : 07-09-2012 at 01:43 AM.
XxMai-chanxX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
SeraphicSkitty

At Megacon, a ventriloquist walked up to me and shoved his puppet down my shirt and made motor engine noises. Seriously. I had no idea what was going on. It was the kind of situation where you just stand there, looking around at everyone, because you're too shocked to do anything.
SeraphicSkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
nyokun
Difficult? I'll do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMai-chanxX View Post
Anyway, the guy who was there asked if I needed any help and he asked my age and stuff and said that i can only have the doushinji's with the white sticker. i'm 14 btw.

Then, he asked if I had a Panty with me and I said NO. But, then he said if I can take a picture and I said SURE and I was standing there waiting for a camera to come out and i was posing.

And here it comes... he said that i didn't get it. THEN, it clicked. I was so disgusted that i left immediately and the guy was like 10 years (maybe a little more) older than me and he was so rude! I'm a minor!
Usually when stuff like that is going down, you should take it to security right away. It's inappropriate and shouldn't be done to anyone. If you recall his vendor name, you should email the head of con staff to at least give them a heads up on that guy. It would be bad for the convention to have pervs like that there.

If its Good and Cheap, it wont be Fast
If its Fast and Cheap, it wont be Good
If its Fast and Good it wont be Cheap
nyokun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Curucar

This suddenly became a hot topic via NDK's social media yesterday. Most (if not all) cons should have rules posted somewhere around the con that tell you to report such incidences. I acknowledge that shock and disgust can blank out your mind when it DOES happen, but there's always somebody at a con you can report this stuff to.
Unread 07-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Rinoa07
Anemic Royalty

A few years ago (Probably 2007, I was about 18) I was cosplaying the Dion Rogers Version of Rinoa, which for those of you who don't know, is very revealing. I forget exactly how it happened, but I was stopped by con staff, this really creepy little staff man, and was asked if my boobs were real. When I said yes, he asked if he could touch them!

I was so disgusted and revolted and shocked, that all I said was no, then quickly took off to where my boyfriend at the time had been waiting for me and told him what happened. I knew I should have reported the staff member, but too embarrassed about what had happened. I knew it wasn't my fault, but I think I went and put a tank top on underneath my costume top. Ugh. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would have raised hell and reported that guy. Who knows how many other people he talked to like that?
Unread 07-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
XxMai-chanxX
Momo

Really? I am so sorry that ever happened to you. I knew I should've reported the guy but then I thought he was just some perverted jerk who wasn't worth my time. I think next time I'll report it if something like this happens again.
Unread 07-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
XxMai-chanxX
Momo

I am sorry that ever happened to you. And I know what you mean. Feeling shocked first. I honestly didn't know what to do because it was so rude and perverted. And then your just there at the con to have fun with friends.
Unread 07-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
XxMai-chanxX
Momo

I know I should've reported it but i didn't know where to go and I thought the guy wasn't worth my time and he's already hating the con.
Unread 07-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
Oniigiri_Basket
Fangirl Extraordinaire

I don't know if I would call it sexual harassment per se, but at Sugoicon 2010, whilst I was waiting in line for badges in a rather revealing outfit, I was approached by someone at least 20 years my senior who asked if I was legal. I was seventeen at the time, so I said no and he went away.
If he had gone any further with it, I would've reported him to con staff. I'm not the kind of person who would let that kind of thing fly.

MCM London Comic Expo cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Nagisa Momoe (Madoka Magica)

ALA cosplay: Kiki (Kiki's Delivery Service), Snow White (Zombie Panic in Wonderland)

2015 conventions: Anime Los Angeles, Anime Central, Japan Expo
Oniigiri_Basket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

I've never been harrassed at a con probably because I'm always with someone. A lot of guys go to Cons JUST to catch a glimpse of pretty ladies in reealing costumes, I secretly believe that it is the only reason men leave the house...to see good looking people. Men are Dogs, my human says so. How does that line go, "God, gave men brain's bigger then a dogs so they wouldn't hump women's legs at cocktail parties."

All kinding aside, there is a vast difference between admiring the female form and being a right scunner about it. Which is why I usually avoid anyone with their camera near the ground in a crowded place. The first time that happened I wasn't sure what I was looking at because he looked like he was just resting. Later, I realized his hand had been firm on his camera the whole time.
Unread 07-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
evodev
awesome

^ good advice there, if you are a pretty young and underage girl please use the buddy system especially while in cosplay ... guys just don't use that part of their brain where they can't stop gawking or possibly touching

I plan on attending SDCC in my blondie cosplay and will have a friend with me at all times, it's just something that I'm not going to risk
evodev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
Julesie

I've never had anything happen but in February my friend was excited to go to her first con. She went alone as I don't live in the same country as her and she was approached by an Alois who immediately grabbed her and tongue kissed her. She was so shocked and I had to try and tell her that most con goers would not tongue kiss you and she just ran into a bad group. She felt horrified as the girl was only fifteen and she was nineteen.

We went to a second con in May (together, I flew over on Holiday) and luckily this time we were fine and she got to enjoyed a more normal type of convention. =)
Julesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #13
XxMai-chanxX
Momo

I am so sorry that ever happened to your friend. And that usually doesn't happen at cons. Was your friend cosplaying something from Black Butler?
Unread 07-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #14
Makira
Show me where ya noms at.

Sadly it comes with the territory of being a Yoko cosplayer ~.~ I go into it expecting things, but that most certainly doesn't make it OK. I did report someone this year because I've run into him at THREE conventions this year (WHY GOD) and each convention he got creepier and creepier. First con (I was dressed as Thief Rikku) he asked to hold me in a picture, I declined politely telling him I do not like to be touched. He seemed pretty offended, but whatever, that's his issue.

Second con (This time Yoko) I saw him at he ran up to me for picture, not recognizing me at first, he asked again if he could hold me in the picture. I reminded him of who I was so he just took a normal picture and this time hugged me, without asking. I really DO NOT like being touched, it makes me feel very uncomfortable when it's someone I don't know. I just shook it off and thanked him for the picture.

However, third convention (Yoko again) he recognized me and someone was asking to take my picture. He stood right in their way and started having a conversation with me. I asked him to please step aside so the person could take my picture. I was posing with someone, who he then asked this person "Do you know her?" they looked horribly confused and said "n...no" so he said "Oh, good" then stood there for a bit. I glanced around for my boyfriend who was a bit too far away to notice me having an issue. He then cornered me asking me a bunch of questions and I told him I had somewhere I needed to be. He grabbed me again and this time attempted to kiss me, I turned and he got my cheek. This guy is like 6'4 and at least 300lbs, I'm 5'3 and 120lbs. I told him to not EVER approach me at a con again, I ran off to find my boyfriend and we went and reported him to con staff.
Social Cosplay- http://www.socialcos.com/profile/41
Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/user/MissMakira

Cons- AM2, Anime Expo 2012, Anime Vegas 2012, Animegacon 2012
Makira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #15
erwneoten

Some guy outside the con asked to take a picture with me, grabbed my ass during the shot ಠ_ಠ. Not cool assholes. I was 15 at the time as well.
erwneoten is offline   Reply With Quote