Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Pacific Media Expo

Unread 02-07-2004, 07:07 PM   #1
shogun

Cosplay Square: Details & Specifications

OK, so we want to set aside an area for a cosplay square. Something NOT in the middle of a shuttle bus route.

From what I have gathered, fans prefer an outdoor one over an indoor one because of lighting.

I also understand that fans prefer to change in their rooms rather than have a changing area upstairs.

Are there any other things that fans want?

I am also thinking of putting the cosplay square on the same deck as the convention's party floor.

Mike
shogun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2004, 08:12 PM   #2
Anele
Cosplaying the Rare Ones

Heh, I think AX should definately do something like that as well (not have it in the route of the shuttle bus). I may be attending PMX, too, and from the looks of things right now being set up for cosplayers, I think you're doing a good job, in my opinion! ^_^
Anele is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2004, 01:32 AM   #3
Super No 1
Yeah!!!!

I don't care just as long as it's outdoors and roomy. If it had some stairs or risers, I'd be even more happy.
-Cosplay Underground - (Cosplay pictorials)
Super No 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2004, 02:42 AM   #4
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Yeah, stairs or other rised up areas work really well for huge group shots so that everyone can be seen. ^_^ But it's not a necessity. Smaller groups can work fine without it, and even bigger groups can find a way, I think.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: TBD
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2004, 03:06 AM   #5
shogun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi
Yeah, stairs or other rised up areas work really well for huge group shots so that everyone can be seen. ^_^ But it's not a necessity. Smaller groups can work fine without it, and even bigger groups can find a way, I think.
My only concern would be if we had an unmanned cosplay square. Risers are not designed to handle a LOT of weight and might have some safety issues with some of the larger cosplay groups. I might have an alternate solution though. I will have to check on it first though.

Mike
Unread 02-08-2004, 03:07 AM   #6
Gundam_MkIII
The Deadliest Shaman

actually i wouldnt mind having a changing area since i'm not gonna have a room at the con, since i live clase to the are, so a changing area would be nice to have cause my other option is to go back to the car and change in there

"Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. "
- T.E. Lawrence
Gundam_MkIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2004, 03:12 AM   #7
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Well maybe not really risers like the ones for concerts/sport events, but.. any rised area. There was that place .. with the thingies.. Haha lemme find a picture.

http://www.usagichan.com/AX2003/location3.htm

The top left picture, and the things everyone's sitting on. I think this place was near a shuttle route, though.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: TBD
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2004, 06:18 AM   #8
shogun

I think something like that already exists in the area. I'll double check when I go there again.

For the question about changing, do you want a tent in the area or would you prefer to just use the restroom around the corner?

I think the pool is also nearby and has changing rooms.

Mike
Unread 02-08-2004, 11:29 AM   #9
Clueless Case
unce unce unce!

Those stalls are really small.....I tried changing in one at AX last year......They work for simpler costumes..but thats it

Taking Wig Commissions
Clueless Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2004, 06:14 PM   #10
shogun

Would you prefer a large tent where everyone changes together? I think that's what a lot of other places use.

Mike
Unread 02-09-2004, 01:48 AM   #11
Clueless Case
unce unce unce!

yea.....that would be nice

Taking Wig Commissions
Clueless Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2004, 07:24 PM   #12
aznaphrodite

I'd like to suggest the area between the Hilton and the Convention Center. A lot of cosplayers naturally gathered there during AX so I think it would be a great place to put it. Also, if the Cosplay Square is too out of the way, it will be inconvenient for cosplayers to drop by.
Unread 03-04-2004, 08:02 PM   #13
shogun

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznaphrodite
I'd like to suggest the area between the Hilton and the Convention Center. A lot of cosplayers naturally gathered there during AX so I think it would be a great place to put it. Also, if the Cosplay Square is too out of the way, it will be inconvenient for cosplayers to drop by.
But that's the area that is in the middle of the shuttle bus route...

Mike
Unread 03-24-2004, 10:50 PM   #14
Tiirz
Clothier of the Undead

Just a note; risers should be able to hold everyone and their best friend, if you're talking about real ones that you can get from the convention center or rent from a staging company. My bf had set up tons of them for concerts and such, and as long as the person putting them up knows what he's doing, there shouldn't be any problem. You can get back rails for them for the safety of the ones higest up.

On the subject of changing rooms; I'd use a private one but not a big group one. Not even split between male/female. If you can get a tent that has partitions, that would be grand.

I'm a little confused. Is this area for the group gatherings and hall cosplay is still allowed?

http://home.comcast.net/~tiirz/Neko_Bish_2.jpg
Tiirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2004, 12:33 PM   #15
shogun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiirz
Just a note; risers should be able to hold everyone and their best friend, if you're talking about real ones that you can get from the convention center or rent from a staging company. My bf had set up tons of them for concerts and such, and as long as the person putting them up knows what he's doing, there shouldn't be any problem. You can get back rails for them for the safety of the ones higest up.

On the subject of changing rooms; I'd use a private one but not a big group one. Not even split between male/female. If you can get a tent that has partitions, that would be grand.

I'm a little confused. Is this area for the group gatherings and hall cosplay is still allowed?
We will talk to the Hilton about some risers and see what we can do.

For tents, we were looking at the ones that the Hilton has. We might be able to set one up for male and one for female, but with bathrooms and hotel rooms adjoining the area, I suspect they won't be too popular and might just take space away from the photo area.

Hall cosplay is still encouraged. We just want to create a good gathering spot for the attendees.

Thanks,

Mike