Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 07-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
CaptainMorgan

Riddler Sword Cane and Glasses

So I'm doing a custom version of the Riddler for DragonCon, and have a couple of props to go with it. The general idea is tuxedo pants, shoes, green vest, plum satin tie, lavender shirt, black fedora with matching green ribbon, and the two props I mentioned.

The glasses I originally was going for the flat round frames, but really didn't like the colors for the lenses that I could find. Then I moved on to the idea of getting some sun glasses frames that sort of match the look of the face mask. I'm going to give these a shot.

With purple polarized/mirrored lenses that I already bought. This will make the lenses match the tie and get purple in two places.

I'm still working on getting my hands on a set of the glasses with the black frames, but I think I've got my source.

Now on to the more interesting prop, the cane. I wanted to do a twist on the riddler cane that was unique. You can't take real swords into conventions and places with kids, plus sword canes always have relatively short blades, so I'm making it from scratch.

First a 1" hardwood dowel. I cut both the straight handle and cane body to size. I also routered them to let these 1" copper pieces slip on the ends. They will get painted a metallic silver, but the copper pieces were a perfect fit so I chose to go the paint route (much cheaper than finding actual polished metal that looked right). I also notched out finger grooves in the handle.

Then I routered a 1/4" slit down the length of the cane body (and later in to the handle) as far as I needed to have a 25" blade. After I make the blade itself I'll use filler and a couple tricks to smooth that over so you won't ever know it was there.

Now at this point, you haven't seen the iconic question mark handle. Have no fear, I'm doing that too. I took a 1 x 8 of oak and cut two pieces out the same shape and bonded them together with wood glue. The pieces are cross grained as well, so it's incredibly strong. The straight handle will go through the question mark shape and be painted flat black so it's not very visible, while the rest of the handle is a riddler color, probably metallic green. I have a ton of sanding and shaping to go on the question mark handle section first, but eventually I'll drill holes to slip the straight handle right into it.

For the blade I'm going to be cutting a plastic shape of it with a cnc router at my work to make a fiberglass mold for it. Other than shaping the handle that is my next step.
Future costumes
Definitely a Kevin Flynn from Tron Legacy

Events
DragonCon 2010
DragonCon 2011
CaptainMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
StabbityBlkMage
I eat emo kids.

Interesting build. I noticed it's a "custom" version of the Riddler you are doing. Do you have any art or references so that I can follow along with your build? It looks pretty interesting.

Blogspot- Step by Step tutorials!
Facebook
Twitter - Day to day WIP!
Deviantart
StabbityBlkMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
CaptainMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbityBlkMage View Post
Interesting build. I noticed it's a "custom" version of the Riddler you are doing. Do you have any art or references so that I can follow along with your build? It looks pretty interesting.
I have a mix of a couple that I'm going off of, I'll try to dig them all up. Here is one that is a good base to work from.

He has the green vest, purple tie, dress shirt, dress pants, fedora, and purple eye mask. The concept is to make a more toned down Riddler to fit a bit more with Nolan's style of universe, but still be easily recognizable. With that the dress pants will just be black, as will the fedora. The face mask turns into glasses.

I'm also thinking of the Riddler as already being an established villain, which is where my cane sword idea came in. The Riddler doesn't physically fight very often, but on the occasion where he has to I wanted to really make the cane he carries a viable weapon.

Here is a bit of progress on the cane today. The question mark handle is drilled out to fit the straight handle. During the process it broke the wood on the one side, which I knew was a possibility. No big deal, just filled it back in with kitty hair (fiberglass reinforced filler) and I'm right back on track. Also did a little more shaping (plenty to go). I also got my cane foot in the mail today. Later I'm going to head to work and cut out the shape for the blade to build my mold off of.

Also keep in mind with the cane that straight handle will be flat black to hide it, and the important shape of the question mark will stand out. I'm thinking of doing a nice metallic green instead of the typical gold cane you see. I have a paint sprayer and air compressor I can use to apply fancier paint jobs like that.
Future costumes
Definitely a Kevin Flynn from Tron Legacy

Events
DragonCon 2010
DragonCon 2011
CaptainMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
calendril

CaptainMorgan - If I can ask, who is the artist on your reference pic for Riddler?
calendril is offline   Reply With Quote