Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 02-08-2004, 06:06 AM   #1
Prof Farnsworth
Renegade Time Lord

Spike in Progress

I guess one could consider this my first work in progress. Perhaps more of a concept piece. I tried to figure what I could put together with what I had in my closet. I considered the two strap closures, but alas, this coat is too small to do that. I think the "cuff" style on the first 2 are more accurate. My first con is in May, and because of the time & money contsraints, I'd like to do something relatively simple and recognizable. This first time around, being "acceptable" is OK. If I have to, I could buy a new tie or shirt, but hopefully that won't be neccesary. As far as my hair goes, it grows pretty fast, so it should be long enough to pull it off effectively (not LITERALLY Of Course!) with some styling glue. Anyway, Let me know what you think.

By the by, there are a couple other photos in my gallery of something I'm not quite sure will work, or even what they might be. :-) if you've got any ideas on either, let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2035.JPG (53.6 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2025.JPG (42.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1980.JPG (38.6 KB, 55 views)

"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." - Thomas Jefferson

"You can't rule the world in hiding. You've got to come out on the balcony sometimes and wave a tentacle." - The Doctor

Last edited by Prof Farnsworth : 02-08-2004 at 06:08 AM.
Prof Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2004, 11:20 PM   #2
Hanyaan
at paranoia's poison door

I would say you definitely need a skinnier tie. The color isn't quite right but hey, none of the Spike suits that don't get custom-dyed ever are, so no points off for that. I hate to tell you to spend more money, but I personally think the shirt is a bit too tan. I'm not mentioning that you need the yellow panel on the jacket, because that's pretty much a given. (People might recognize you as Spike without it, but don't bet much money on that.) And even if your hair grows really fast, consider a wig. Or not. Spike's hair is notoriously awful to get right, both in color and style.
Unread 02-08-2004, 11:45 PM   #3
K_Valentine
I shoot people.

Spike's coat is actually blue. Doesn't have to be the same blue, but navy blue will work wonders (I've seen them go for $5 at a thrift store). It's up to you about adding the lighter bits to the coat (sleeve lining, front coat flap triangle, and the two closures).

Skinny black tie. Sometimes they're hard to find. You can fold the sides back and stitch/safety pin to hold it in place. Iron it a bit to make a good crease and keep it flat. Then unstitch/safety pin and iron to remove the creases to bring the tie back to normal. No need to spend extra $ on a new tie.

Shirt could be yellower.

Thrift stores are great resources to use for getting Spike clothes cheap.

Escapist Magazine anime critic: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti.../reviews/anime
K_Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2004, 04:39 AM   #4
Prof Farnsworth
Renegade Time Lord

Thanks guys. The version here was just a starting point. If I can find a thrift store around here (I might have to check nearby cities), I'll check to see what they have. I don't think I'll be able to add a liner (it'd be great if I could find a jacket with the right color liner though!), possibly the front lapel panel. I've tried to find some good reference pics, because the only good still reference I've got now is the cover of the dvd and of course there's the show. Anybody have any good ones or know of a good website?

Some shirts have an imbedded plastic thingy in the collar, but If the shirt I find doesn't, what are some hints on how to keep the collar up properly?

I don't want you all to think that I'm cheap, it's just that I was worried that it would cost a lot more.

Thanks for your help. I'll look in the yellow pages and plan a trip or two. As far as the hair goes, I can guarantee you that there are no places to find wigs around Yanceyville. are there any good websites to find them?

"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." - Thomas Jefferson

"You can't rule the world in hiding. You've got to come out on the balcony sometimes and wave a tentacle." - The Doctor
Prof Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2004, 12:36 PM   #5
eyedea803

Yeah I would be able to tell who you are dressing up as at first glance even though some of the outfit may have colors that are a little off but honestly.........I have yet to see a "Spike" costume that actually has similar hair. Spikes hair is thick and full with some flip like curls in it. The hair doo is where I think the battle is won........or lost. And even more so If you look similar to him in the face. Ne how that all I have to say soo good luck.
eyedea803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2004, 11:33 PM   #6
Ashkon
[Wei]

Wrong gun..that a 1911 you need a baby eagle
Ashkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2004, 02:34 PM   #7
Reno_kun
who ya gonna call?

It's good, but as KV said you need to imporve on spike go and watch the series or the movie and study him if you have it on DVD use the pause button for refernce pics..give you pleanty of time to make your own skecth of spike.., good luck on your coustem!
Unread 03-17-2004, 10:41 PM   #8
snowqueenie
i'm not here

you need an afro. and thats it. if you have the afro and the cigs, you're good to go.
snowqueenie is offline   Reply With Quote