Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Fan Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

I think they should schedule the larger rooms for the steampunk panels (always packed). But love the work shop ones here.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #17
ktcaines

Quote:
Originally Posted by naomi_censored View Post
I will always have a special place in my heart for Fan Expo, since it was my first ever convention. I love the vibe, the guests, the giant dealer's room, and how it gives me a chance to explore my other nerdy passions beyond just anime. But I wouldn't contradict what's been said, because it's probably all quite true. I wonder if Fan Expo's target market just aren't the "hype"-ing sort. *shrug*
I feel the same way... to me Expo was a warm up to Anime North. And because it was my first con I'll always enjoy it What I find to be a killer is the constant increase in price. They didn't need to jack it up to $95... I understand having special priced tickets for the big named guests, but for everyone not going to see them it should be lower. I still can't believe the first year I went it was $50 for all three days...

I originally was going to only go for one day, but changed my mind since I'm still suffering from post AN con syndrome.
ktcaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #18
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

FanExpo lands exact when you want to go to another con.

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Unread 07-20-2012, 12:03 AM   #19
Moonmisery

Well, Fan Expo has raised it's prices at a time where no one wants to pay exuberant amounts of money, which sucks. They could easily charge less and still make oodles of money. But then there's the point people have said that Fan Expo is run by a company, that's they're biggest flaw right there. People look at AN and say "wow awesome" why? Because its all fan run. Fan Expo is run every year because it makes money, that's the only reason is runs (in my opinion).

I myself am going this year, and I feel really ripped off having to pay essentially $100 for a weekend pass that I don't even want to buy, but because a Saturday pass is $45, what is the point of paying half the "deluxe" admission for 1 day. It's ridiculous, but I go because I love their masquerade, and I like the dealers room, and show like-minded fans my costumes. So, I once again get sucked into the vortex of "pay lots" and "be herded like cattle" all because "they can." Sorry this is so long, but ya, this is why I think Fan Expo doesn't have much hype anymore.
Moonmisery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #20
siyrean

i'm not paying $100 to be treated like shit, just to get into a room to spend More money. I only wanna go for one day but my bf is a comic nerd and wants to do the weekend. not sure what'll happen.

Dragon*Con: Captain America-Lolita Avengers, Steampunk, ?ASoIaF, Shura, Roman Torchwick, RWBY PJ ver. Emma Swan OUaT, Queen of Mars Archer
Teslacon: Steampunk
Ice and Fire con:
Anime North:
Colossal con:
Apop:
DragonCon:

siyrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #21
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

I know a lot of couple take turns with cons they like. Usually the BF's like Fan Expo more and the Gf's on her like Anime North.

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
Unread 07-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #22
ObviousMegs

I haven't been since 2009, so I really don't know what all has been happening in the last few years.
I'm heading out this year with a friend. We're doing the hotel/all 4 days thing, and we've both got costumes for it.
I'm looking forward to this more than Anime North, as the two times I went to AN weren't as fun as the one time I went to FX.
That, and I'm no longer all that into Anime/Manga these days.
Comic books and video games have my attention now.
Unread 07-23-2012, 01:34 AM   #23
defectedmodel
Android

I think FanExpo is more geared toward the other types of geeks, rather than anime/manga fans, however, the anime section in the dealer's room is quite large, as well. I find that at FanExpo I tend to cosplay better known characters, because most people there are not anime fans.

I agree it's overpriced though, and I've never been to any panels there or anything, so I am hoping to do so this year.

That being said, I did have fun the past two years that I've gone. Last year I went on a Friday and it was nice to actually be able to walk around and look at stuff as Saturday is crazy busy.

I'm cosplaying this year too
Biker Sailor Saturn - Saturday night

Facebook Page :3
defectedmodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 01:46 AM   #24
Chipface
Master Ninja

I used to get excited about it, especially after 2009 which I had a blast at. Then 2010 came and it sucked ass. I only go for a day now and it's mainly for something to do. Now ConBravo, Con-G and AN. Those are cons to get excited about.
Chipface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #25
ZombiiAxelBlitz
Shy little bull

I was considering only going one day this year for Fan Expo, but I got a pre-reg delux pass from my dad as a birthday present, so I feel I should probably show up all 4 days. I'm mostly doing video game cosplays this year since anime seems to have pretty much almost completely fallen off the face of FX. >.>

Anime North 2013: Keith (L4D2)
ZombiiAxelBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #26
uttate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmisery View Post
Well, Fan Expo has raised it's prices at a time where no one wants to pay exuberant amounts of money, which sucks. They could easily charge less and still make oodles of money. But then there's the point people have said that Fan Expo is run by a company, that's they're biggest flaw right there. People look at AN and say "wow awesome" why? Because its all fan run. Fan Expo is run every year because it makes money, that's the only reason is runs (in my opinion).
Although they probably did raise prices to make a profit. I also think the hike in prices was also to eliminate or keep control of the crowding issues. If it was as cheap as before, there would be a really big crowding issue and no one would be happy
uttate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #27
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

HONESTLY they need to limit sales of tickets if they are worried about crowd control. They are not however, as they are trying to raise the attendance numbers every years and compete with other large events (the basically want to become Canada's ComiCon). The more people they back in the more credit they can bring to attracting guest and venders.

The jump in price has nothing to do with crowd control. The $10 price jump every years is to cover the slow rental increase but I bet that about 70% of that price increase is going straight to their pockets.

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
Unread 07-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #28
siyrean

there's no way they can compete with the US comic cons unless they expand to both buildings, which i understand is never going to happen. that or move out of the downtown core. there's just not enough space.

I'm a Rue Morgue fan so i want to go and support their tiny little section and go to their big afterparty on saturday. last year we were too exhausted to go to the party so we're thinking of skipping the con saturday and just going to the party.

Dragon*Con: Captain America-Lolita Avengers, Steampunk, ?ASoIaF, Shura, Roman Torchwick, RWBY PJ ver. Emma Swan OUaT, Queen of Mars Archer
Teslacon: Steampunk
Ice and Fire con:
Anime North:
Colossal con:
Apop:
DragonCon:

siyrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #29
uttate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
HONESTLY they need to limit sales of tickets if they are worried about crowd control. They are not however, as they are trying to raise the attendance numbers every years and compete with other large events (the basically want to become Canada's ComiCon). The more people they back in the more credit they can bring to attracting guest and venders.

The jump in price has nothing to do with crowd control. The $10 price jump every years is to cover the slow rental increase but I bet that about 70% of that price increase is going straight to their pockets.
Well in the end it's demand of the product. If people are willing to pay that much for it and still go, Fan Expo unfortunately has every right to do it. It's a for profit con.

Last year I found there was LESS crowding issue because of the extended days. People didn't feel they needed to be there every hours of the day.
uttate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #30
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

No I agree last year felt less crowded in comparison to 2009. It's the fact that they have and likely will over sell tickets for space again is why they will need to put a cap on the tickets sells per-day in the future.

Raising the ticket price will not eliminate or keep control of the crowding issues is what I'm getting at. ComicCon has a limited number of tickets to sell based on space and they are doing just fine turning a profit.

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 07-25-2012 at 12:13 PM.