Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Fan Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #31
CrownCross

Wait a sec, the quality of FanExpo has been dying down over the years? When did this happen, and what in particular? Geeze, talk about being out of the loop.
CrownCross is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #32
mikcy
subject zero

I find last year was a lot better than previous years. It wasn't as crowded as it used to be and they're starting to figure out how to deal with letting people in, but it took them long enough. Let's see if they can get it this year. I'm actually surprised how much Thursday seemed to help and how many people attended that day.

The price hike sucks, but they are getting some big name guests and it's for 4 days. It's still crazy, but I don't see if it getting any better next year. I love FX because I'm a fan of everything they have to offer and it was my first con, but I can understand why a lot of people aren't fans of this convention. D: I wish they had more gaming related guests. It's definitely a joke compared to the US Comic Cons.

cosplays 2013
♫c.viper (street fighter iv) → jack (mass effect 3) → elsa (frozen) → morrigan (dragon age: inquisition) ♫

tumblrfb

Last edited by mikcy : 07-26-2012 at 10:12 AM.
mikcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #33
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Well if you live in Toronto or have the day off it makes sense to go on the Thursday or Friday and with Friday being a full day now I was travel up to Toronto and saw a few people getting on the bus for the day just for FanExpo.

FanEXPO
Regina ~ Once Upon a Time(Fri)
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #34
Aaridys
Invisible User

I think fans are weary of FanExpo since the 2010 fiasco. They still want to go but are less excited, anticipating possible endless lines, rude volunteers and security agents and an overall organizational mess. I think it justified to have reservations about paying 100$ to an event that is oversold and invaded by enormous sponsor booths that have no relationship with fandom in general.

I don't want to blame Hobbystar for being a profit-oriented company, most merchants are! However, I do want to blame then for utterly disregarding the fan's experience while still aiming for that profit.
Unread 08-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #35
sweet_kat22
Graphic Designer

I just remember being treated like cattle since 2010- 2011 My boyfriends first fan expo his expression to how they organized it was wtf? Hoping this year will be a bit better that way. I dont like how some of the volunteers yell at you at the top of their lungs when your out of line.

Atomic Lollipop
Unsure of costume plans

Fan Expo
Harley Quinn (maybe with a Joker)
sweet_kat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #36
RadRage
Registered Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaridys View Post
I think fans are weary of FanExpo since the 2010 fiasco. They still want to go but are less excited, anticipating possible endless lines, rude volunteers and security agents and an overall organizational mess. I think it justified to have reservations about paying 100$ to an event that is oversold and invaded by enormous sponsor booths that have no relationship with fandom in general.

I don't want to blame Hobbystar for being a profit-oriented company, most merchants are! However, I do want to blame then for utterly disregarding the fan's experience while still aiming for that profit.
This is exactly why I bailed on FanExpo last year and probably will this year as well. Also, now that I've come to this thread and see that you guys are discussing the lack of cosplays and photo opportunities is discouraging me even more.

AN is always a blast and I may just stick to that, well worth my money every year.

Last edited by RadRage : 08-16-2012 at 11:43 PM.
RadRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 01:19 AM   #37
Rei-Azalia

I personally like fan expo. I think the size is why everybody gets so irritable because they literally need to take care of that many people and don't have time to be nice. Its a lot of fun to go shopping and meet the celebrities though.
Rei-Azalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #38
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I'll admit I would be less irritated with with the crowds if I was not in costume. But a big part of the reason I go IS to wear costumes.

FanEXPO
Regina ~ Once Upon a Time(Fri)
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #39
sweet_kat22
Graphic Designer

I have to admit Im a bit excited about fan expo again. Not as much as usual though- but Im looking forward to some things

Atomic Lollipop
Unsure of costume plans

Fan Expo
Unread 08-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #40
Yunalicia
Yevonite

I've never been and having my tickets I ordered in April arrive Tuesday didn't put a good taste in my mouth. Logically, why would they mail out the tickets on Thursday knowing full well most of the country will not gt them until Monday/Tuesday and need to travel and will probably be leaving those days. Thankfully I got to the post office just before it closed on Tuesday because I was leaving Wednesday morning.

Planned Cons:
*:AnimeNorth:*:2011:*
<3 Ai-Kon 2o11 <3
Yunalicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #41
SuperBee
Jill of all trades

I have always wanted to attend Fan Expo but every time I mention it to friends they discourage it strongly (not just for the Anime component because I would like to see the gaming and sci fi aspect too). I have always heard of horror stories about the lines, additional costs, and rudeness of con goers and volunteers.

Giant Diglett will return!

Possible Future Cosplays:
-Zapdos Original design (humanoid)
-Unown Original design (humanoid)
-Giant Gastly
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #42
Rock nam Lee
Saiyan Photographer

Maybe people are just getting older and aren't as hyped up as they were around age 14 : P
Rock nam Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #43
sweet_kat22
Graphic Designer

I was 20 when I started going Im 27 now, I still get excited about cons but not as much as I used to.

Atomic Lollipop
Unsure of costume plans

Fan Expo
Unread 08-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #44
color
Phantom Detective

It's because everyone is so busy making their costumes that they don't have time for the forums!
Unread 08-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #45
IvySun
Thread stalker

this thread is probbly dead casue there isnt a lot of cosplay at the con now because its mostly about getting swag and meeting the voice/ actors. Im going to sneak down for saturday not in costume but im still bringing my camera.
con bravo?
ochiban con?
Frost con
IvySun is offline   Reply With Quote