Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Fan Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #46
ashi ketchum

I'd been attending conventions since '03; Anything from multi-genre, anime-only, gaming-only, etc. And I've been cosplaying since '04, mainly anime and gaming characters. I've started to realize I enjoy cosplaying far more at anime-only events regardless of what genre my costume is. Even at this year's FanExpo, I had a costume from a prior convention that I wanted to wear and opted against it. I'm glad I did; It wasn't a very cosplay heavy event and more akin to SDCC / NYCC albeit far smaller. I find my time is more worth-while cosplaying at anime events where nearly everyone is dressed up and socializing over their costumes and not cosplaying at events that have larger exhibit halls and panels that take up a large portion of your time there. Just my personal reasoning, though.

2014 conventions:
- San Diego Comic-Con
- Toronto Fan Expo
- New York Comic-Con
ashi ketchum is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #47
Kairi's-Fantasy
Artsy Tech

I finally understand what people were talking about before, how Fan Expo has such bad service and the staff there are horrible, and how it's completely unorganized.
Like, my question for today: "What the hell?!"
Me and my 2 siblings, along with my cousin and her boyfriend went out across the convention centre for some time to take pictures, and there was a line up to get back in.
So at first we were patiently waiting, but then it started to get really hot, and they wouldn't let us in. They just kept holding us there! People were getting angry later on because they were saying it was "over capacity" but then there was a line right beside us that was being let in! Even when we were waiting for SO LONG and they had just gotten there... they still got in before us! It was absolutely RIDICULOUS!
I was so furious and I had finally decided I liked Anime North better, JUST for that one reason.
I really, REALLY hope that they are more organized next year.
Taiga Aisaka (Toradora!)
Blossom (Powerpuff Girls - Original "post-disaster"/"geared up" ver.)

Planned for 2015:
Kairi (Kingdom Hearts - Steampunk)
Fem!Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Zelda (Hyrule Warriors)
Kairi's-Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #48
harudae
TOKUSENTAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin<3 View Post
Me and my 2 siblings, along with my cousin and her boyfriend went out across the convention centre for some time to take pictures, and there was a line up to get back in.
So at first we were patiently waiting, but then it started to get really hot, and they wouldn't let us in. They just kept holding us there! People were getting angry later on because they were saying it was "over capacity" but then there was a line right beside us that was being let in! Even when we were waiting for SO LONG and they had just gotten there... they still got in before us! It was absolutely RIDICULOUS!
I didn't go this year, but it sounds like already a repeat of 2010 with locking people out. And I thought FanEx finally got a bit of their act together as last year wasn't too bad crowd wise.. Sucks to hear that but I hope you still had fun though! :c

Dang Stan Lee, you just rake in the attendees and FanEx's money LOL. I have nothing against him, but he was the big crowd attraction last time he was here too. Part of the reason why I decided not to go, possibility of being waaaay overcrowded and Hobbystar overselling tickets like 2010.
Yamuraiha - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Maybe? Aoi Asahina - Dangan Ronpa

Last edited by harudae : 08-25-2012 at 09:38 PM.
harudae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #49
Nagii
Number Eleven

In 2010, they didn't stop ticket sales. They selling tickets and letting them in while those who pre-reged and those that already had tickets/were already inside, went out to eat and couldn't get back in for hours because they were at capacity.

It was my last year and the final straw from Hobbystar. It is most likely because alot of stores and tv shows were hyping it up that the crowd was bigger then last year. Bringing in alot of people who don't know the crap this company blows.

Friday: Chromia
Saturday: Lizzie Hearts (Ever After High)
Sunday:

Transformers Con 2015 - IDW Chromia
Fan Expo - Duchess Swan
Nagii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 12:30 AM   #50
Yunalicia
Yevonite

I walked out today. I got refused to a Steampunk costuming panel, went to buy a slice of pizza, realized I could walk to the Eaton Center faster for food and didn't go back.

Thursday and Friday were pretty good, but once I got denied to a (no offense to those who put it on) joe blow, non-celebrity panel, I knew it would just get worse, and it was only 3p. The complaints on the Fan Expo FB page are astounding. I thought I was just being grumpy but apparently it was a shitfest.

My BF couldn't go so I was thinking of going down there tomorrow just to get his premium swag bag and try to get into the reboot panel, but after seeing that panel is in one of the small panel rooms, I'm not even sure if it's worth the bus fair.

Planned Cons:
*:AnimeNorth:*:2011:*
<3 Ai-Kon 2o11 <3
Yunalicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #51
sweet_kat22
Graphic Designer

Wow I could not believe the craziness of the weekend- I enjoyed the few cosplays there were and the deloreon and christopher llyod's panel but it was over crowded dunno why they let soooo many people in that we move an inch at a time. The panel lines were insane as were autograph line ups Im only going saturday/sunday if I decide to go at all next year- its nuts.

Atomic Lollipop
Unsure of costume plans

Fan Expo
Harley Quinn (maybe with a Joker)
sweet_kat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #52
kawaiilove
I hate homestuck

I think they need to stop inviting so many celebs. That's why it's so busy. If they maybe brought half of what they had this year I'm sure it would have been a lot less busy. But It's going to get bigger and bigger each year since a lot of people are getting into conventions and since its the biggest in toronto of course a lot of people are going to go. For me who didn't go for the celebs the best time I have had at Fan Expo so far.

kawaiilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #53
ZiplocNinja
kimo

Why would a corporate con WANT to have less people/be less busy! Why would they stop inviting celebs??

Fan Expo is mainly a comic con! An industry con!
Places to meet celebrities and artists and take your portfolio to show some high-up peeps. Make connections.

Anime constitutes a small part of it, as does anime cosplay and extravagant cosplay. People need to deal with this fact already. Complaining year after year about 'lack of cosplay'.... it's not going to change guys!!!

I love Fan Expo, fave con of all the cons I attend.

I used to dislike Fan Expo because of all these reasons, but the more I drift away from being an anime fan, the more I like Fan Expo. It's got a more mature older crowd and more media I can actually enjoy.

Last edited by ZiplocNinja : 08-27-2012 at 03:16 AM.
ZiplocNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #54
harudae
TOKUSENTAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiplocNinja View Post
Anime constitutes a small part of it, as does anime cosplay and extravagant cosplay. People need to deal with this fact already. Complaining year after year about 'lack of cosplay'.... it's not going to change guys!!!
This is a cosplay board, so of course the majority of people here would dislike the lack of it at a con js. =P

----

But back on thread topic, the fact that it's an industry con is mainly what's drawing me away from Fan Expo more and more. The whole thing just feels like a giant dealer's room to me, with guests and celebrities being the only attractions and is increasing ever year (and you gotta pay for autographs/pictures etc.). I'm not a guest person nor large crowd person myself, so there isn't much that attracts me about this con other than a much larger comic scene than AN and more diverse artists.

AN has a more "at home" hobby feel I guess? There's much more to look forward to other than guests and you feel more of a "fan" rather than a customer in a business like Fan Expo. I've gone to FE since '08 and this is my first year missing it and I don't really regret it. I used to love it more than AN but it's changed alot. Idk, just my opinion.
Yamuraiha - Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Maybe? Aoi Asahina - Dangan Ronpa

Last edited by harudae : 08-27-2012 at 01:48 AM.
harudae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #55
Koi
Promiscuous Boy

I fully agree with many of the comments on this site.

Given that.. I still did buy a weekend pass this year (although it pained me to validate this convention with the full $95 price tag) and did attend all days.

And you know.. it was fine. The booths were mostly the same as at Anime North (except for all the mediocre gaming stuff "Hey look at this game which has previewed at a million different conventions already. Ooooh.") I did get a few prints.. and Alpaca.. it was decent... not great but decent.

But really, what surprised me in a good way, and I was not expecting at all after all of the lack of hype in the cosplay community, was the quality of the masquerade, both in costumes and in short skits. Not only that, but there was room to spare in there! I had to wait like.. 10 minutes in line, and got a seat right in the middle of the Hall.
There was some amazing amazing Novice work, and all the other categories pleased as well. Not only that, but unlike the Anime North masq (which I'm not sure if it still allows skits?) it had lots of humor, fun, short little skits, and of course Gord which really made it a fun and perfect evening.

It seriously surprised me after expecting that this convention would be total bosh.
Unread 08-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #56
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

What you have to look at between FanExpo and Anime North is this:

AN has around 10,000 unique attendees over the weekend. FanExpo gets close to 100,000 attendees. That's 10 times more. It WILL be more crowded.

AN is a fan-run event for fans. FanExpo is a corporate event run by a company, sponsored by G4, and both panels and dealer's room are aimed toward industry promotion. I went to 2 non-q&a panels this year (the fantasy armor, and the lego master builder) and they were both run by professionals of the topic to talk about their work and how to get into the line of work. These are not meant to be discussion panels for the most part. They are lectures.

As far as I know, they never locked people out on Saturday the way it was in 2010. I had to wait in line to get in, too, and I was wearing a foam suit and was on the cusp of overheating before I got inside. I heard a lot of people swearing and complaining around, in front, and behind me. Seriously, guys? It was a 15 minute wait (at least for me, at 1:30pm). You know there will be tens of thousands of people there. You know there will be lines. You can often wait longer in line at Tim Horton's on a regular day. Is 15 minutes going to kill you? You can't have everything right away. I was in and out all afternoon for smokes, to go back to the hotel to change, to get coffee, and had no trouble getting in after the initial lineup at 1:30. The only time I ran into rude con staff was Saturday night on the way to the masquerade, there was one very rude volunteer security staff at the top of the second last set of escalators who snapped at me when I answered for our group. However that was one person on a staff of I don't know how many hundred people.

Sorry, just feel the need to defend this con because I hear so many complaints about it and people giving it a bad reputation because they don't seem to understand what it's about. We're spoiled here in Toronto in a way, because all our other large cons are fan-run events (ie. Anime North, Polaris, etc). FanExpo is our only huge commercial run con worth attending for the genres it caters to. You have to go into it understanding that. It's a business event, meant to commoditize sci-fi, anime, gaming, comics, and horror themed stuff to us. A lot of guests are there to buy things, test out games, and see celebrities. They really don't care about our costumes. The cosplayers are like an extra treat for them, but that's really not why they're there.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #57
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koi View Post
I fully agree with many of the comments on this site.

Given that.. I still did buy a weekend pass this year (although it pained me to validate this convention with the full $95 price tag) and did attend all days.

And you know.. it was fine. The booths were mostly the same as at Anime North (except for all the mediocre gaming stuff "Hey look at this game which has previewed at a million different conventions already. Ooooh.") I did get a few prints.. and Alpaca.. it was decent... not great but decent.

But really, what surprised me in a good way, and I was not expecting at all after all of the lack of hype in the cosplay community, was the quality of the masquerade, both in costumes and in short skits. Not only that, but there was room to spare in there! I had to wait like.. 10 minutes in line, and got a seat right in the middle of the Hall.
There was some amazing amazing Novice work, and all the other categories pleased as well. Not only that, but unlike the Anime North masq (which I'm not sure if it still allows skits?) it had lots of humor, fun, short little skits, and of course Gord which really made it a fun and perfect evening.

It seriously surprised me after expecting that this convention would be total bosh.
I agree on the masquerade! I could only stay for the kids and the first 30/80 contestants, but holy crap. Halfway through my friends and I looked at each other like "HOW is this novice??"

I didn't even wait in line. We strolled in about 10 minutes before 8 and sat down right in the middle of the hall too.

Unread 08-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #58
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

This con is bashed too harshly at times.

I was stuck at my workshop most of the time but I never got a sense that any staff were rude or mean. Everyone was nice and helpful. They even brought me food and water on Saturday because I couldn't leave the tables.

Is there room for improvement, yes, of course there is, but we need to be mindful what this con IS and the size of it. Don't compare it to a fan-run con because you;ll be disappointed if that is the sort of con you like.

Fan Expo is flashy, mature and professional. Their panels will have experts and knowledgeable guests. Big names and great swag giveaways.

I'm writing this on little sleep so pardon if I'm not making a clear argument here. I just think people need to stop bitching about this con like it is Satan. Look at their Facebook page..for the 100 that complain you see 100 people saying they had a great time.
Unread 08-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #59
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokulen22 View Post
This con is bashed too harshly at times.

I was stuck at my workshop most of the time but I never got a sense that any staff were rude or mean. Everyone was nice and helpful. They even brought me food and water on Saturday because I couldn't leave the tables.

Is there room for improvement, yes, of course there is, but we need to be mindful what this con IS and the size of it. Don't compare it to a fan-run con because you;ll be disappointed if that is the sort of con you like.

Fan Expo is flashy, mature and professional. Their panels will have experts and knowledgeable guests. Big names and great swag giveaways.

I'm writing this on little sleep so pardon if I'm not making a clear argument here. I just think people need to stop bitching about this con like it is Satan. Look at their Facebook page..for the 100 that complain you see 100 people saying they had a great time.
Agreed. I find that people who complain just don't seem to understand what they're getting into. The Star has an article including a quote from some guy that his kid was devastated that they waited in line for tix on Saturday and couldn't get in to meet Stan Lee. Seriously? 100,000 attendees and you're going to gamble on your kid's happiness by not buying a ticket until the day of? Is it REALLY so hard to buy the pre-sale tickets? Other people were shocked there was an attendance cap. Honestly, if you're so wishy washy about deciding to go, you deserve to wait in line and/or not get a ticket on Saturday. Some people just don't prepare for the lines and crowds, and blame it on the con when it's really their own fault.

I bought my ticket online, and went to the convention center last Wednesday to pick up my advance deluxe wristband. No lineup. We strolled on in Friday, Sunday, and most of Saturday. (Note: the trick with Saturday seems to be to take the long way around through the North building. You get A/C, and there was no lineup or waiting to get down escalators at all.)

It's a commercial event. It's just not a hangout con. It's where you go to meet professionals and celebs. I witnessed a girl chatting with J Scott Campbell about comic book art, get his contact info, and a little inside secret on how to contact him through his webpage so they could continue talking and she could send him samples of her work. THAT is what this is all about, folks. I saw people with portfolios ready to chat up artists and show them work to try to break into the industry.

Unread 08-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #60
Rock nam Lee
Saiyan Photographer

Quote:
Why would a corporate con WANT to have less people/be less busy! Why would they stop inviting celebs??
Look at it this way, if they invited even more celebrities, you would get even more attendees, which would bring in more cash. This also makes the convention more crowded, so crowded that *many* of the attendees there would not return the following year. Now that would be bad. Not only that, but with the extra celebs, that extra cash would basically go towards the celeb cost. You basically have a bomb about to explode.
Now what if HS invited a few less guests? You'd no doubt have a few less attendees attending, but not so much that HS would keep *more* more money in the pockets from not having to pay for extra celebs.
Basically you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot, and these are my thoughts that having LESS guess may possibly be actually better and more cost-efficient.

Quote:
Fan Expo is mainly a comic con! An industry con!
Places to meet celebrities and artists and take your portfolio to show some high-up peeps. Make connections.

I love Fan Expo, fave con of all the cons I attend.

I used to dislike Fan Expo because of all these reasons, but the more I drift away from being an anime fan, the more I like Fan Expo. It's got a more mature older crowd and more media I can actually enjoy.
It was mentioned that this is a cosplay.com thread about the cosplay part, and I don't know if there was anyone actually complaining or just noting there wasn't that much cosplay this year, but we're entitled to our observations and wishes for next year. And there's no way you can actually say "It's not going to change", I'm sure someone said the exact opposite when FanEx/CNanime was strong back in 2008 or whenever; tides change, and it'll depend on what HS decides to do. Cosplay is an attraction for attendees to you must remember, and HS knows that it can be used for marketing, so yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymonochrome View Post
What you have to look at between FanExpo and Anime North is this:

AN has around 10,000 unique attendees over the weekend. FanExpo gets close to 100,000 attendees. That's 10 times more. It WILL be more crowded.
Actually AN has/had about 22-27,000k attendees, and FX is only about 85k-ish, maybe around 3 times size difference, nowhere near 10x.

Quote:
It was a 15 minute wait (at least for me, at 1:30pm). You know there will be tens of thousands of people there. You know there will be lines. You can often wait longer in line at Tim Horton's on a regular day. Is 15 minutes going to kill you? You can't have everything right away.
In your case, you probably got off lucky, you can read dozens of "Horror" stories online about people being stuck outside for 1, 2 or more hours. The excuse that "you know there will be lines" doesn't work as the average fan, even experienced fans wouldn't have known that the building would be LOCKED DOWN due to do overload capacity. HS probably knew that it would hit capacity in the smaller north building, and they SHOULD have stopped selling tickets right there and then; only resume when the line shrank. The whole problem that year was the North building was too small. The attendees should expect a line-up of course, but 1 or 2 hours is ridiculous, and they have every right to complain in that case. And say you did manage to get into town around 11, find parking, wait in line for 2 hours (to buy/pick-up tickets then to get in), then finally get in only to be crammed beyond your wildest dreams, kinda sucky.

Quote:
Sorry, just feel the need to defend this con because I hear so many complaints about it and people giving it a bad reputation because they don't seem to understand what it's about. We're spoiled here in Toronto in a way, because all our other large cons are fan-run events (ie. Anime North, Polaris, etc). FanExpo is our only huge commercial run con worth attending for the genres it caters to. You have to go into it understanding that. It's a business event, meant to commoditize sci-fi, anime, gaming, comics, and horror themed stuff to us. A lot of guests are there to buy things, test out games, and see celebrities. They really don't care about our costumes. The cosplayers are like an extra treat for them, but that's really not why they're there.
Cosplayers are attendees too, and maybe we "In the Toronto area", are spoiled, but none of the other large conventions I've been to in North America have had the same problem as Fan Expo. Maybe Fan Expo has grown to big for its own good. I remember E3 getting too big around 2007...? And they decided to cut it down and change it.
Nobody really made the cosplayer the problem to begin with, not certain where that came from; its simply because HS is trying to fit too many things together, and you can feel the jam whether you're in a costume or not.

I thought this year was fairly decent, everything went smoothly enough for such a big convention. My complaint (applies to Anime Expo) is that the dealer's room alleyways were too thin, they need to be expanded another foot or two; and yes I realize that'll take away from vendors, but come on its so tight in there! In fact, you could probably make the 2 comic book alleyways a bit thinner since I never see too many people in there.

I even took 4 hours to carefully make this chart.

Rock nam Lee is offline   Reply With Quote