Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Fan Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #61
Kyomi
SO ZETTA SLOW

To be honest, Fan Expo is exciting me less and less. Granted I was never a major fan of the convention because of multiple bad experiences (both from the con itself and fellow attendees), I go mainly to help out and meet up with friends.

A friend received message on Saturday from her coworker that he wasn't able to go in - tickets stopped selling right as he reached the table; he was in line for two hours.

I had the opportunity to go in all weekend, but chose not to because I knew the overcrowding would have been inevitable - I ended up only popping in at the very end on Sunday (after the con had closed) to help close up a friend's booth in dealers. At that moment, I realised I had really not missed much at all.

Another friend of mine who cosplayed from both a comic and an anime over the weekend noted that she had a more negative reception in her anime cosplay while in the con (her exact words, "it seemed looked down upon"), and that the amount of anime cosplays inside were getting fewer.

But otherwise, most of the people who got into the con seemed to have a fairly good time this year, according to comments on facebook.
Kyomi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #62
gakuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock nam Lee View Post
Actually AN has/had about 22-27,000k attendees, and FX is only about 85k-ish, maybe around 3 times size difference, nowhere near 10x.
They're actually closer in size than that, FX does a turnstile count, and AN goes by number of badges (unique attendees). That is, if you've got a full weekend pass for FX you'd be counted as four attendees, while a weekend pass at AN is counted as one person. If AN did a turnstile count their attendance would be around 55k. Generally, for-profit conventions use the turnstile number.
gakuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #63
Rock nam Lee
Saiyan Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakuto View Post
They're actually closer in size than that, FX does a turnstile count, and AN goes by number of badges (unique attendees). That is, if you've got a full weekend pass for FX you'd be counted as four attendees, while a weekend pass at AN is counted as one person. If AN did a turnstile count their attendance would be around 55k. Generally, for-profit conventions use the turnstile number.
Thanks, I've heard things here and there, read things here and there, but can't get an exact number on either con.
Personally, I think 1 badge = 1 person.
Rock nam Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #64
Nagii
Number Eleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakuto View Post
Fan Expo can't count if their life depended on it.

Friday: Chromia
Saturday: Lizzie Hearts (Ever After High)
Sunday:

Transformers Con 2015 - IDW Chromia
Fan Expo - Duchess Swan
Nagii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #65
shinigami714
Illustrator

I have a couple of issues with this convention...

My first is definitely overcrowding...they either need to expand venue or cap it earlier, I don't care which. But it's definitely too crowded, and almost impossible to get into panels you're interested in.

My second issue is that...as an actual fan, of most everything at this convention, I still feel out of place. It seems it's such a mainstream convention now, that there are more people there just to see it or for something to do than there are actual fans. As such, though I love cosplay, I actually feel VERY uncomfortable cosplaying there. The lack of cosplay doesn't bother me that much really. It's the comments I hear from people about my cosplay and others.

I shouldn't feel like an outcast at a fandom convention when I'm in cosplay but that's how I feel at fanexpo. I wore sewer urchin to this con and I heard a multitude of people make such comments like "some things just aren't meant to be in costume form" or "wtf is a chick doing wearing that". I definitely heard worse things directed at other people and myself but I don't care to mention them. I can understand comments like this coming from outside the convention centre, but once I'm inside I'd like to not get distasteful stares and such like I'm in the way, and I'm the weird one.

You'd think that since FanExpo advertises cosplay as an attraction that they'd make more room for it. They also advertise the masquerade as 'Canada's largest' but that's completely outrageous. It was only half full this year because so many people weren't allowed back in to see it! Putting it at the end of the day after kicking out half the attendees is a bad decision.
shinigami714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #66
sweet_kat22
Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinigami714 View Post
I have a couple of issues with this convention...

I shouldn't feel like an outcast at a fandom convention when I'm in cosplay but that's how I feel at fanexpo. I wore sewer urchin to this con and I heard a multitude of people make such comments like "some things just aren't meant to be in costume form" or "wtf is a chick doing wearing that". I definitely heard worse things directed at other people and myself but I don't care to mention them. I can understand comments like this coming from outside the convention centre, but once I'm inside I'd like to not get distasteful stares and such like I'm in the way, and I'm the weird one.
This is how I am starting to feel about it too. Back when I first started it was more of a cosplay event and everyone in general decent to each other about it. Now that more and more people are attending for just the entertainment (which isn't bad) Just that a lot of them don't know much about cosplay and can be a bit rude about it.

Very well stated btw you explained how I think a lot of cosplayers feel.

Atomic Lollipop
Unsure of costume plans

Fan Expo
Harley Quinn (maybe with a Joker)
sweet_kat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #67
zeekayart
derp

Quote:
I shouldn't feel like an outcast at a fandom convention when I'm in cosplay but that's how I feel at fanexpo.
Yep, that's how I felt when I went on Sunday. So few cosplayers, I was expecting a lower amount but wow people really aren't kidding about the complete lack of cosplay. It just felt really strange to be in costume.

And I love your Sewer Urchin! I saw a few pictures of it online, you and the Chairface I saw Sunday make me want to make a Tick-related costume, ahaha.
☐ ConBravo!
☐ Otakuthon
☐ Youmacon

2014 Costume Plans
?????????????????i

Last edited by zeekayart : 08-27-2012 at 09:56 PM.
zeekayart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 07:04 AM   #68
Aaridys
Invisible User

Remembering 2010, I can say that 2012 was better managed in terms of crowd control. However, being stuck like a sardine in the dealer's room and just about everywhere else on Saturday was NOT a pleasant experience. It felt like the train or the subway at rush hour and mind you, not everybody there had good personal hygiene.

The lack of cosplay was saddening but understandable. In those crowds, who would risk wearing anything more than a jeans and a T-shirt, seeing as you're always pressed up against people wherever you go? There was no room for taking pictures, it was really hard to get a decent shot of the few costumes because there were people EVERYWHERE!! I saw more cosplayers lounging around in the park outside than on the con floors.

And the attitude? Anything not Marvel/DC was looked down on or greeted with a: wtf is that?. Same at the masquerade. The reaction level and the amount of applause was significantly different for TV series/comics skits than for Anime.

There you go mainstream!
Unread 08-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #69
LugiaP2K
Shaman King Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaridys View Post

The lack of cosplay was saddening but understandable. In those crowds, who would risk wearing anything more than a jeans and a T-shirt, seeing as you're always pressed up against people wherever you go? There was no room for taking pictures, it was really hard to get a decent shot of the few costumes because there were people EVERYWHERE!! I saw more cosplayers lounging around in the park outside than on the con floors.

And the attitude? Anything not Marvel/DC was looked down on or greeted with a: wtf is that?. Same at the masquerade. The reaction level and the amount of applause was significantly different for TV series/comics skits than for Anime.
Yeah, the crowding and heat was why I only managed to wear Chris for maybe an hour on Saturday morning. It got to the point where I couldn't move in it, and didn't have any space to pose if people did ask for pictures (I tried to move out of the way if at all possible). I actually spent most of the day on Saturday 'away' from FanExpo (went to Buskerfest - still crazy busy, and wandered Toronto for a bit before relaxing in the hotel).

And the attitude...yeah, I'd have to agree with that. Now, I didn't actually get any comments myself (most people seemed to like Yoh that recognized it - but it isn't really an 'outlandish' costume) but I was still getting the vibe that comic costumes were the most important. I know they're what's popular right now, but it just seemed a bit...overwhelming, I guess. All the masquerade entries were amazing, but yeah, it seemed heavily comic oriented. My Mom actually asked me if there were any anime skits in it at all...I think there was somewhere around 5?

Quote:

Just wanted to say that the people in the masquerade audience really seemed to love your costume when you came on stage (from what I could tell).

Anime North 2014 (May 23-25)

Yoh Asakura (Shaman King)
Hao Asakura (Shaman King)

Last edited by LugiaP2K : 08-28-2012 at 08:44 AM.
LugiaP2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #70
no-more-thread
Rabbits riding Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaridys View Post

There you go mainstream!
Maybe I missed all this but I personaly didnt hear anything bad or negative about my cosplay, my friends, or any other. Though both of us were stopped alot less then at say AN for photos and such, we both got complements and the general "I love your cosplay, I loved that character" (I was Yuna from FFX and she was from Paradise Kiss). Its really sad to hear that others didn't get the same nice reaction from con goings And maybe the lack of applause for the masquerade was because not as many people knew the animes? I know I always get more excited when I know the character performing.

I deffinitely agree about the reasons for lack of cosplay. Next year I'm deffinitely going to stick to Lolita or just a fun T-shirt. Even with a costume that was easy to move in, the place was just to crowded.
no-more-thread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #71
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I have to agree on the anime front fare less anime cosplays this year and for me being a under know cosplay for Friday with Muginami went pretty unnoticed but did get complemented on it regardless.

Yes the lack of lack of applause was probably from the lack of audience this year as well. Amines and General historical costume don't get a much love then current movies/comic during masquerade. I didn't get any applause recognition for Mami last year but I did get a laugh/gasp from attack Charlotte. lol

There was A LOT of Avagers cosplayers this years from people that usually do a bit lesser know cosplay or game based one. Marvel defiantly ruled this year in terms of costume saturation.

I think next year I probably won't do any anime for it is it's not a well known character.

The hottest and most crowded day being Saturday I did good in Merida. I found it more hot/unbearable to be outside in the heat during the 2pm photoshoot.

About the dealers room. I was talking to a few people and they felt the autograph line should be move to a different section/rooms to open up more space.

The Marvel booth was run a few thing that ended up completely tragic jamming the area around them rather annoyingly.

Also the CTV booth Should have gotten a panel room for their stars as they did not have any room when the Criminal Minds actors came to there small booth.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 08-28-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #72
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

I've mentioned this on the Facebook page but the 700 area would have been perfect for the photo op pickup line. They practically didn't use any of the 700 area at all, which is an absolute waste of space.

Other than that, I still had a great time with the Doctor Who Society of Canada and the surprisingly larger and visible amount of Persona cosplayers compared to last year's Fan Expo.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before

Last edited by seiryuux : 08-28-2012 at 12:33 PM.
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #73
Merino
Magical Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post

Yes the lack of lack of applause was probably from the lack of audience this year as well. Amines and General historical costume don't get a much love then current movies/comic during masquerade. I didn't get any applause recognition for Mami last year but I did get a laugh/gasp from attack Charlotte. lol
The lack of audience was likely do to the fact that the door security were under the impression the con closed at 7 with no other events. I had to argue to get back in the building to be able to watch the Masquerade. They wouldn't believe me, I had to pull out a program book and show them and they still did not take me very seriously. I was very disappointed with the organization that led to this.
Unread 08-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #74
Prisca712

I was definitely surprised by the smaller audience at the masquerade - after I came off the stage with my group and went into the auditorium, I did a double take when I saw that only the front half of the room was full!

As Merino says, it really sucks that this may have happened due to crappy organization. Considering they bill their masquerade as the largest in Canada, it's a bit surprising that something like this could happen....is this the first time logistical issues have affected the audience size for the masquerade?

I mainly hung out at the Toronto Steampunk Society table and saw a fair number of people dressed in steampunk, but I agree with everyone else - I definitely noticed way fewer cosplayers (especially when I was wandering around the Dealer's Room/Artist Alley) than when I was last at FanExpo in 2010.

I'm really surprised and disappointed at the negative reactions some people received because of their cosplays (especially shinigami714 - The Tick cosplay isn't that common and you did SUCH an awesome job on your Sewer Urchin costume! I was definitely ooing and ahhing at all the details while waiting for the masquerade results ). The costumes I did see - comic-based and otherwise - were really well done, so it's a shame that they didn't get more love.
Prisca712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #75
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekayart View Post
Yep, that's how I felt when I went on Sunday. So few cosplayers, I was expecting a lower amount but wow people really aren't kidding about the complete lack of cosplay. It just felt really strange to be in costume.

And I love your Sewer Urchin! I saw a few pictures of it online, you and the Chairface I saw Sunday make me want to make a Tick-related costume, ahaha.
I noticed a lot less cosplays on Sunday too. Was it the only day you went this year? Because I was in costume Friday and Saturday, but by Sunday I was pooped and decided I didn't care anymore and was going to just wear short and tshirt. I brought 2 cosplays I never wore. I meant to put on my Steampunk outfit for Sunday because I knew it would be less crowded than the other 2 days, but in the morning I just couldn't bring myself to get dressed up.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote