Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Fan Expo

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #76
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merino View Post
The lack of audience was likely do to the fact that the door security were under the impression the con closed at 7 with no other events. I had to argue to get back in the building to be able to watch the Masquerade. They wouldn't believe me, I had to pull out a program book and show them and they still did not take me very seriously. I was very disappointed with the organization that led to this.
This! It was really weird. We got stopped at every escalator from the north building through to south building by security asking where we were going. And then got a REALLY rude security person on the second to last set of escalators who yelled at me in a very bitchy voice when I didn't realize I had answered for my friend.

You're not police, so why couldn't I answer for the group as a whole? We were all going to the same place and I happened to be leading the march. This security woman asked where we were going, and I answered "the masquerade". Then she leaned closer and asked in a louder voice, "WHERE ARE YOU GOING?" I was confused, thought she hadn't heard me the first time, so I stammered out "Masquerade...?" She waved us on, but just as I stepped on the stairs, she snapped, "I was asking HER," because apparently she was asking my shy friend who stood behind me, and hinting that every person had to answer individually. I don't think that was necessary and it certainly wasn't appreciated.

I bet if I'd gone in through the south doors I would have had to argue too. We had gotten coffee at Second Cup, so we walked in from the north side. They had actually put a rope in front of the up escalator in the north building. We went around it because the escalator itself was still on.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #77
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Quote:
The lack of audience was likely do to the fact that the door security were under the impression the con closed at 7 with no other events. I had to argue to get back in the building to be able to watch the Masquerade. They wouldn't believe me, I had to pull out a program book and show them and they still did not take me very seriously. I was very disappointed with the organization that led to this.
That's rather sad/shitty to hear... there we go again MTCC.

Usually the audience is most packed for Masquerade the past two years I did it and the previous years i watched there was a huge lineup to get in. >_<

I also opted not to cosplay on Sunday as well... So glad I did because by 2pm I was hit with a whopper of a head cold to the point I need to book it fast otherwise I was afraid It past out in the city before reaching the greyhound. lol First time getting sick during a con for me too like that, even took the subway this year instead of dragging my luggage to the terminal and use the disability gates instead of trowing them over. >_<

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia)
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 08-30-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #78
Ninja Sensei

Quote:
It may have been also partly due to the counter-programming (off-site) this year against the masquerade (Rue Morgue has always had a costume event on the same night, which is what many feel contributes to the low horror content of the masquerade).

It could also be due to the fat that audience tickets were not printed this year, so many may have felt that they weren't guaranteed to get in or that is was already full, etc.

Many, many things...

But the audience did fill in as the night progressed and other things wrapped. I spoke to many who only made it htere for the last part, or the last half, etc...
Ninja Sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #79
Ninja Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymonochrome View Post
...so we walked in from the north side. They had actually put a rope in front of the up escalator in the north building. We went around it because the escalator itself was still on.
Bravo! Good on you!
Ninja Sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #80
zeekayart
derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymonochrome View Post
I noticed a lot less cosplays on Sunday too. Was it the only day you went this year? Because I was in costume Friday and Saturday, but by Sunday I was pooped and decided I didn't care anymore and was going to just wear short and tshirt. I brought 2 cosplays I never wore. I meant to put on my Steampunk outfit for Sunday because I knew it would be less crowded than the other 2 days, but in the morning I just couldn't bring myself to get dressed up.
Yep it's the only day I went, I only really wanted to see the ReBoot panel. 30 minutes after I got in I was like wow, should I even be dressed up?? But then Gavin Blair wanted a picture with me so that kinda made it worth it, ahaha.
☐ ConBravo!
☐ Otakuthon
☐ Youmacon

2014 Costume Plans
?????????????????i
zeekayart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #81
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I'm surprised Rue Morgue don't hold it Friday night now that FanExpo is 4 days.

As a costume I still have not found a costume design I like in the horror category I like. Plus if I'm going to the full "bloody" makeup I better enjoy the character as well otherwise I'll find myself miserable in it. lol

I think we need more latter then 7pm event in the MTCC on Saturday.

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia)
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Unread 09-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #82
Xiphoid Process

this was my last fanexpo. i started going in 2005. i skipped 2011 after the 2010 issues but some close friends managed to convince me to go for the saturday this year.

i wore a simple cosplay - zhana from command and conquer, with a prop dragunov. for those unfamiliar it is essentially a short dress, boots, and a military jacket. the way i was treated by other congoers was so distressing i've basically vowed to only wear fully covered cosplays from now on.

many times, people would actually grab my arm and spin me around in order to take photos of me, while i was trying to browse vendors. at one point when i was walking some guy shoved a camera in my face and nearly knocked me over, he never asked for a photo so i had no way of knowing he was there. i also had some pretty gross sexual comments whispered at me, and (although with the crowding being so bad it's hard to know for certain) i believe someone grabbed my butt.

of course there were confused and some mean staff too, but i'm sure they were just overwhelmed by crowds or weren't briefed properly by HS.

basically though, after the way i was treated, i started crying when i left the con
Xiphoid Process is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #83
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiphoid Process View Post
this was my last fanexpo. i started going in 2005. i skipped 2011 after the 2010 issues but some close friends managed to convince me to go for the saturday this year.

i wore a simple cosplay - zhana from command and conquer, with a prop dragunov. for those unfamiliar it is essentially a short dress, boots, and a military jacket. the way i was treated by other congoers was so distressing i've basically vowed to only wear fully covered cosplays from now on.

many times, people would actually grab my arm and spin me around in order to take photos of me, while i was trying to browse vendors. at one point when i was walking some guy shoved a camera in my face and nearly knocked me over, he never asked for a photo so i had no way of knowing he was there. i also had some pretty gross sexual comments whispered at me, and (although with the crowding being so bad it's hard to know for certain) i believe someone grabbed my butt.

of course there were confused and some mean staff too, but i'm sure they were just overwhelmed by crowds or weren't briefed properly by HS.

basically though, after the way i was treated, i started crying when i left the con
I understand where you're coming from about being grabbed without warning. One of the scariest moments in my life happened at Anime north 2 years ago when a man grabbed my shoulder from behind me. I screamed in shock as my heart was in my throat. I wasn't expecting it and the force was rough...I doubt the larger man knew his own strength.

After I calmed down and he apologizes a million times, I pose for the picture he wanted...but the experience left me feeling paranoid for the rest of the day.
Unread 09-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #84
MeganKaro

Hmm. I've never been to FanExpo and I have attended Anime North for quite a few years now. One of my good friends loves FanExpo much more than Anime North, but he is more interested in comics and tv shows soo... He suggested that I should go, and I thought about it, but now I'm not sure because I too primarily go to conventions to cosplay. The way everyone is making it sound about people attending the con being rude really turns me off to even bother. Especially with the high badge price, and it's four days and even more crowded?! X_X;; While I would have interest in some of the panels/etc... I still don't know if it would be worth it to go. Hmm.
MeganKaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #85
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I've been ok me here the shinny on what some cosplayers expewrince.

There be Creepers. Seriously every year these are guy's that go to con to just take photo's of hot chicks in costume for their "collection". We just don't get them at AN for some reason or if their there they are dealt with quickly. If this happens to you find any staff member/security person and report them quickly with a description. They need yo get banned and the only way to do that is report them.

I have to laugh at this, as even this year on the Friday I was hit up by one of them for the first time. I politely shot him down and he was trying to worm his way into a date by first asking if I wanted a private shoot (relatively harmless time). But I know that if your younger this experience will be never racking and possible more harassing. Also if any one gropes you swing around and smack them. Serious that will get the message to them that is not cool faster then yelling and will draw attention to them and what the did.

For the most part I've had good luck with FanExpo other then the crowding issues and over selling tickets. It's crowded and loud but that just the way it is. Anime North is just a very chill con in comparison by nature. But the panels/Q&A's are just to awesome to pass up. Whether I do a full weekend again we will see but I can see myself just going for the one day each year.

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia)
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Unread 09-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #86
MeganKaro

Hahah well I don't mean necessarily creepers. I've had some people who gave me the vibe at all conventions, but I'm always with a group of people (mostly guys) so I don't really mind. Then yes, there are those who take photos for "collections" but I feel like... what could I have done about that anyways?
Hahah oh man that's something x_X Sometimes people ask me unusual things at conventions and I'm just like... ahh....no thanks ... >.>

I'll be 19 next Fanexpo, and have been to quite a few cons (some in the US too), and I have had my fair share of really unexpected events. I remember cosplaying as the Hitachinn twins from Ouran Highschool Host club with my friend and one women walked up to us and asked for a photo. We posed and were fine with it, then she decided it would be a grand idea to kiss us both on the cheek without any notice (we were also 15 or so at the time so LOL). It's kinda funny to look back on but at the time both me and my friend stood there and were kind of like... uhh wtf?! lol
I don't really worry about anything bad happening to be at a convention, other than a costume malfunction xD.
I just read through this whole thread and what primarily turned me off was feeling weird with a cosplay on. I originally planned to cosplay Lightning from Final Fantasy (or a character from World of Warcraft) but now I'm not sure because I don't know if it would be awkward. I have pink hair in real life, so I'm probably over-worrying because people always notice my hair and I have no issue with it. I'm usually not worried about people critisizing my costume itself, because half the time they're not even in cosplay. However seeing me as someone cosplaying as something out of place and unrelated to the whole convention and being rude about it is generally what irks me.

I have a few friends who have went for a few years now, they love it over Anime North, but they're also more interested in what FanExpo has to offer. They recommended I attend and think I would like it but it's something I got to think about for sure :P

Last edited by MeganKaro : 09-12-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Unread 09-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #87
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Final Fantasy and World of Warcraft would both be well received as there is a HUGE gamer section to this cone. I feel like anime costume unless they are from super popular series get get ignored in general during FanExpo.

Unplugged Expo

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia)
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Unread 09-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #88
MeganKaro

Hahah that's true, I didn't think of that Thanks, well hopefully my Lightning costume will turn out well and things will go good. I feel like I'll probably attend, but there's a lot of time until then
Unread 09-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #89
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

I didn't feel looked down for dressing in anime-cosplay...though I was mistake for Kikyo all the time (and Inu Yasha is a pretty popular series).
Unread 09-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #90
Anaru

I'm definitely only going inside for one day next year - I was literally only inside for about a half hour-hour on Saturday and Sunday. I spent majority of my time outside and it was a blast. I'll still go on Friday-Sunday, but I'll stay outside for two days. Not sure which day I'll go in, though... I was thinking Saturday, but it's waaay crowded...so maybe Friday?

Plus, I agree that closing off the convention center at 7 was really dumb. They closed it off around 5 on Sunday. The security just gets worse and worse at Fan Expo.
Usagi Tsukino (Sailor Moon Crystal)
Anaru is offline   Reply With Quote