Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #1
indiraptor

Where to Buy a Corset?

I've been thinking of doing a steampunk cosplay, but I don't know where I can buy a corset. I've heard that a lot of places overprice, or don't make good quality corsets. I may be a bit over-paranoid because of that article I read, but it basically said that almost every corset seller is overpricing. So I figured I'd come here, since I'm sure many people here have bought corsets before.

Does anyone know any good sites to buy a corset? Or maybe what I should look for when buying, and how I can tell if somewhere is overpricing? Thanks so much in advance!

Spider-Man (Spiderman) - 15%
Matryoshka Gumi (Vocaloid) - 0%
Rigby (Regular Show) - 5%
Miria Harvent (Baccano!) - 0%

indiraptor is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Master Null
face ripper supreme

you won't find many cheap corsets with quality. they are always gonna be pricey. it's better to suck it up and pay a little extra for a great corset that will fit you or one that will be shit.
steel boning is a must, plastic boning will wear out.

try one of these two shops:
http://timeless-trends.com/
http://www.heavyred.com/

~Crona, Soul Eater
~Mirai, Kyokai no Kanata
~Imp Midna, Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

Future:
Raven, Teen Titans
Chershire Cat
Celty, Durarara!
Kidagakash, Atlantis

PLANNED CONS:

Uchi-con 2014
Anime Central 2014
Master Null is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
redsheep

Are you wanting just a fashion "corset" or a real, waist reducing corset? Also what's your price range? Real waist reducing corsets will usually take 4-5 inches off your waist, while fashion corsets will take 2 at the most. That's one thing to look for.

What you're going to want to look for when buying a corset is your measurements, their pictures, their description, and off site reviews. The corset size should be how big around you want your waist to be, and if you've never corseted before or you're buying one off the rack, the size should be about 4 inches less than your natural waist. Also measure your underbust and hips at your iliac crest and the length of your torso to make sure your corset will fit.

When buying online you're going to want to look at the pictures. Is it modeled on an actual human being? Does is show the back? A lot of less than good places will only show the corset floating on a white background, or put it on an already hourglass model and not show the back of the corset. The back where the laces are should be straight, parallel, and either closed or up to about 2 inches apart. If the gap in the back goes like this )( on the model, then the corset is not very curvy and won't pull you in very far, and they're only showing it on a curvy model so it looks better.

When reading the description, look for a few specific things. First, does it have steel boning? Don't even bother with plastic. Does it have a steel busk in the front? Are the grommets metal? Does it have a waist tape? What is the material and how many layers does it have (fashion fabrics like satin can come on nice corsets, but cottons and leathers are going to be stronger for tight lacing)? What is the length and will if fit the length of your torso?

Other things that are optional, but nice to know are whether or not it has a modesty panel or any tabs for garters.

Also always look for reviews of the specific corset you're going to buy. Make sure these reviews are more in depth than just "It's pretty and I look really skinny, so A+!" because if you wear a cheap corset or one that doesn't fit you, if can hurt and you can mess yourself up. Corsets shouldn't be painful. A little weird, yes, and you'll need to break it in, but never painful.

My favorite corset reviewer is bishounenrancher on Youtube. She reviews a bunch of different styles at a bunch of different price ranges and has a bunch of videos about what to look for when buying.

I bought my corset off of Orchard Corset. If was about 80 dollars, which is the cheapest you're going to find a good real corset.

Of course if you're just wanting a pretty 'corset' that isn't meant to give the proper Victorian shape (which is different depending on what decade you're going for), only to look good over a costume, then just look at corset-story under steel boned corsets.
redsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
lush1

Try thefashioncorsetshop.com, they have a lot of steampunk corsets

Last edited by lush1 : 11-23-2013 at 06:47 PM. Reason: link
lush1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Alice MacLeod
Lady Alice of Ardvreck

I had one custom made by a member of the Toronto Steampunk Society but a really high end good one you are looking at possibly as much as 500 dollars. It depends on what you want it for. I needed one not just for looks but to support my back as well. If its more a fashion one they are not very much money and corset story is well known for fashion ones. I think they even have steampunk style ones

Cosplays I have:

Alice Madness Returns:
Traditonal, Mixmatched ,Steamdress, Royal Suite, Silk Maiden

Traditional Disney Alice, Soviet Alice

Lolita:
Sweet Pink, Gothic, Gothic Aristocrat Ballgown, Blue "Alice" Ballgown

Anime:
White Album 2 Ogiso Setsuna school uniform
Alice MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsheep View Post
Are you wanting just a fashion "corset" or a real, waist reducing corset? Also what's your price range? Real waist reducing corsets will usually take 4-5 inches off your waist, while fashion corsets will take 2 at the most. That's one thing to look for.

Of course if you're just wanting a pretty 'corset' that isn't meant to give the proper Victorian shape (which is different depending on what decade you're going for), only to look good over a costume, then just look at corset-story under steel boned corsets.
Good post.

I suspect that for this purpose, a fashion/costume corset is going to be all that's needed. I wouldn't expect a beginner to want a waist-reducing corset for costuming purposes, especially for walking around a con. (Or, just make sure to carry a little vial of smelling salts!)

As mentioned above, make sure to get one that's right for your current size. The lacing gives a little flexibility here, but as with all garments, the better it fits the more comfortable it'll be and the better it'll look. Don't get one that's too small, thinking that you'll just cinch yourself down.... guess what, they all cinch you down and the right size will work MUCH better than one that's too small.

Corset Story and Damsel In This Dress are worth looking at.

http://www.corset-story.com/

http://www.damseldress.com/ or http://www.etsy.com/shop/damselinthisdress

The cheap-O costume/lingerie corsets from costume shops and most mainstream lingerie shops are much different than a real steel-boned corset. A $20 corset from the clearance rack at Frederick's isn't going to be the same. Not that there's anything wrong with that, if all you need it for is a cosmetic complement to the rest of your costume. Just don't expect it to hold up to the wear-and-tear of regular duty, or even a full weekend convention.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon

Last edited by nathancarter : 12-05-2013 at 02:07 PM.
nathancarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
MissLumetta

I'd suggest to go to Federicks and try on a corset so you know what size to get. The problem most girls have when they buy a corset is they buy what they are told on size, which may cause problems in the end. And from my past experiences with Federicks, the ladies are very helpful and they know what they are doing (unlike too many poor sales ladies at Victoria's Secret)
I had a lady at ren fair argue with me that I didn't know what size to get and she put a corset on me that was "supposed" to fit me, and not only did I tell her of my medical condition first hand to not tie it too tight, she also caused me to almost pass out and feel sick the rest of the day.
I also saw a girl at MegaCon get a corset and had the guy tie it too tight on her and as he unlaced her, she collapsed on the floor. Poor sales guy feel just aweful because when you put on the corset, it needs to feel snug, not tight. If it's tight, it's most likely too tight, and you are damaging your body as well as making yourself feel uncomfortable all day.

Planned Conventions (these aren't counting the ones that I don't need a hotel for)
DragonCon
UmiCon (going to be a cosplay guest there)
AFO
Holiday Matsuri
MissLumetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
redsheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLumetta View Post
I'd suggest to go to Federicks and try on a corset so you know what size to get. The problem most girls have when they buy a corset is they buy what they are told on size, which may cause problems in the end. And from my past experiences with Federicks, the ladies are very helpful and they know what they are doing (unlike too many poor sales ladies at Victoria's Secret)
I had a lady at ren fair argue with me that I didn't know what size to get and she put a corset on me that was "supposed" to fit me, and not only did I tell her of my medical condition first hand to not tie it too tight, she also caused me to almost pass out and feel sick the rest of the day.
I also saw a girl at MegaCon get a corset and had the guy tie it too tight on her and as he unlaced her, she collapsed on the floor. Poor sales guy feel just aweful because when you put on the corset, it needs to feel snug, not tight. If it's tight, it's most likely too tight, and you are damaging your body as well as making yourself feel uncomfortable all day.
I wouldn't suggest Frederick's for corsets. You can find much nicer for the same price. Orchard Corset if you want a real corset, or Timeless Trends or corset-story for fashion corsets that are still well-enough made. Even if you just want one for the style, you should still get one well made so that the boning doesn't pop and the seams don't rip and etc. Frederick's are corset shaped bustiers, and a fake corset laced tightly at all is super uncomfortable and painful.
redsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #9
Boreotheria
n00b

I have two corsets (which are a little small for me right now) and I love them. At least I did when they fit. Both were made by proper corsetmakers. One was commissioned as part of my wedding dress and the other I bought at a convention from Apollonie.

If you've never worn a real corset before I would highly recommend finding a good corsetmaker at a convention or in a shop who will let you try things on and help you fit it properly. I don't think I'd ever buy one online just because of the uncertainty in whether it will fit properly and be comfortable.

If you're not looking for a real corset but rather just a corset-shaped bodice, that's a lot easier to find and wear even if it's cheap.

I also don't think corsets are a necessary part of steampunk but I'm sure that's up for debate.
Unread 07-12-2014, 11:46 PM   #10
ArchangelGarrus

For the love of god, do not buy from Corset Story, Corsets UK or any of these brands.

I'd really recommend you spring for a Orchard Corset product. They make high quality corsets for 60-80 dollars. They're rather plain but you can sew on buttons, patches, or gears and Steampunk them out.

I recommend this one: http://www.orchardcorset.com/corsets...-satin-cs-426/
In maroon.
ArchangelGarrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #11
RoseNoir

I'd agree that for a proper fitting one that's going to last more than a couple of outings, you need to spend some money. It'll be worth it though, better than buying a cheaper one that doesn't fit and comes apart easily.
The proper boned corsets have a lot of work in them, try and have a look at some in real life and get a feel for them, and talk to someone in person who really knows what they're doing, a dressmaker, someone like that.
RoseNoir is offline   Reply With Quote