Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-26-2013, 02:14 AM   #46
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
But new can be so good in a genre like this. Sometimes it takes someone who is new to it to create something fresh and different. I like that you are sticking to the aristocrat though. You usually see airship pirates and adventurers, so to see someone want to do something more noble is really cool.
Thanks..I hope I can figure out how to retain the elegance but keep a certain edge...if that makes any sense. I've seen so many great outfits and ideas both on the internet and during conventions...so I'm excited to finally be getting into this awesome genre.

I know someone mentioned spats in previous posts...so that's helped with my list at least. I'm trying to decide on what sort of accessories or gadgets to add to this too.

1. Shirt with a caravat/jabot
  2. Waistcoat
  3. Overcoat
  4. Breeches
  5. Boots
  6. Spats
  7. Top hat
  8. Pistol
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2013, 03:42 AM   #47
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Spats are always good. And you could always do some taller ones over boots with the pants tucked in. Like some nice dress slacks like they would have worn, but to give that edge use boots with tall spats over them. You should find a really awesome pocket watch, as all gentlemen would carry one. I would say to get some really nice gloves, maybe even leather ones to wear. Maybe even a cane of some sort that is steampunked. I love seeing the accessories people come up with for their costumes. That's just some ideas I'm having at nearly 3 A.M.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #48
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
Spats are always good. And you could always do some taller ones over boots with the pants tucked in. Like some nice dress slacks like they would have worn, but to give that edge use boots with tall spats over them. You should find a really awesome pocket watch, as all gentlemen would carry one. I would say to get some really nice gloves, maybe even leather ones to wear. Maybe even a cane of some sort that is steampunked. I love seeing the accessories people come up with for their costumes. That's just some ideas I'm having at nearly 3 A.M.
I can't believe I forgot my pocketwatch.

But yeah, I have some tall combat boots and I'm considering a pair of vintage short boots as well. Later today I plan on looking through my bin of fabrics to see if I have anything I can use...between that and trying to decide on a colour palette. I'd love to be able to steer away from the browns and drabs to incorporate some brighter colours in there....a noble can afford to be flashy after all, right? I was thinking that I would have liked to take a bandolier of some sort and put assorted bottles and vials in it instead of bullets...and perhaps create a gadget or two to carry around...just something with moving parts or lights...though I'm not sure what just yet
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #49
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Go for the more vibrant colors. They loved them in Victorian times and I could definitely see an aristocrat wearing something a bit more eye popping.
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #50
hippiewriter
Socks.

I just finished a brass and copper tiara. I like how it turned out, but I was so focused on it that I haven't thought of what to work on next. Maybe I should work on that blue and yellow bustle gown that I've been putting off finishing... Nowhere near as fun as starting a new project, though.

2013 Conventions/Events:
ALA (Artist Alley, Rum Party Staff)
Condor (Dealer's Hall)
Anime Conji (Artist Alley)
Escondido Ren Faire (Volunteer)
Gaslight Gathering (Guest Panelist?)
San Diego Comic Con (Attendee)
San Diego Pirate Faire (Volunteer)
Conjecture/Conchord (Dealer's Hall?)
hippiewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:28 AM   #51
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

That tiara is gorgeous! Anyone wearing it would be lucky to show off such stunning work. It looks so flawless.
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #52
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I've been reviving some old threads with pictures of costumes I wore at A-kon this weekend. I just wanted to share pictures of my wind-up doll costume. They aren't great, but they are a start to show what it turned out like.
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #53
Boreotheria
n00b

I have a vague idea for a character/costume, for the first time. It would be a naturalist or field scientist, inspired a little bit by Stephen Maturin from Patrick O'Brian's books.

The basic outfit will probably be jacket/shirt/vest and breeches with tall boots (although nothing that will keep me from kneeling/squatting outside to look at stuff on the ground), and a sun hat. Adjustments can be made for climate/weather because I will not be as averse to "going native" as historical European explorers were. Accessories will include pouches for collecting samples, a loup or magnifying glass, a spyglass, maybe a mock chemical analysis kit of some kind, and fake critters in cages/jars.

I have no idea about a name. I have no problem with screwing up British class systems and therefore haven't decided whether I want a common sort of name or a noble one.
Unread 06-26-2013, 02:39 AM   #54
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I just found a really great, clear shot of my wind-up doll costume from wearing it Sunday at Anime Blues Con. A head shot of me in that costume also ended up in our local newspaper accompanying an article about the convention.
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #55
Beachbead

I'm putting together a steampunk Green ranger outfit, I only have the shoes, vest and shirt, I'm still seeking other things for the outfit. I still need to either buy the shoe laces or paint them green, I'm leaning towards painting them.
Beachbead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #56
knnguyen66

Hey i am wondering if i can get some outfil advice. I am trying to make a steampunk ninja outfit. im picturing something like the blue spirit from the last air bender combined with kroenen.
knnguyen66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #57
Misha Aogail

Currently working on a Steampunk Hexadecimal costume. I got the base character done last year for a steampunk convention, and have been upgrading her ever since. I still have some ideas in mind to make her more "complete" but she's one of those I don't think ever will actually be complete.

The picture is from a con earlier this year where I had the pieces, but didn't get to modify them as I wanted to before the con.
Misha Aogail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #58
Purified Ace
Ace Pendragon

I'm always looking for ways to enhance my Steampunk Captain Jack Sparrow. Any and all advice on such endeavor would be appreciated.

I still take pride in the fact that I was one of the first to Steampunk Captain Jack in cosplay (at least, one of the first to put it online).
Unread 09-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #59
Mortek

Hey guys, I'm new here. Friend got me into Cosplay a while back, working on my first outfit. This might be a weird question but anyone know of a mini fog machine that would fit into a top hat? I've looked around and I cant find anything that small, if I cant find anything I'll have to make one myself dammit!
Mortek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:29 AM   #60
Mystery221
Unknown species

My flatmate and I are working on steampunk archaeologist cosplays. Out corsets just arrived today. We're so excited!
Mystery221 is offline   Reply With Quote