Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-18-2012, 01:31 AM   #16
SparklyCosplay

My cosplays are usually about $100 dollars, but if I had the money to make better costumes, I'd definitely be spending at least $200-$250 a costume. I always spend about 70 dollars on a wig and a pair of contact lenses alone. With wigs, contacts, fabric, makeup, shoes...It all adds up.
But you shouldn't feel bad at all. Like others said, cosplay is an expensive hobby. But I think it's worth it to make a costume you enjoy wearing.
SparklyCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2012, 01:59 AM   #17
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Do not worry. You are not doing anything wrong. As you continue on in this hobby, you will realize that cosplay is very expensive, and all the costs add up rather quickly.

$150 for a whole costume is not bad at all, especially if you are going to use the costume more than once, and if you enjoy what you are cosplaying then it is definitely all worth it. Just have fun, and do what you gotta do to get your costumes done.
Cosplay is just one of those things where the costs can vary a lot. Some people can get entire costumes together under $100, and some make costumes that are $900+++ (for example, on my cosplay that I am gathering now, I paid around $100 for one piece of the costume, total cost so far around $300-400 and I'm not even done yet).

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 01:59 AM   #18
nordicunicorn
Freakshow

Materials for my first cosplay cost me well over 200 dollars, maybe 250. Then again it was rather intricate and I was being (and still am) extremely picky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMoyashi365 View Post
on that note:
"who is Ani-may and why is there a convention about her?"
Quote:
Considering that Kingdom Hearts is perhaps the most over cosplayed series of this year and last, and Anime Expo is literally walking distance away from Disneyworld, I'm surprised that cosplayers don't just march on the gates, hundreds upon hundreds of KH cosplayers looking to storm the gates of Disney.
nordicunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 02:36 AM   #19
kyokyogirl
Wait...what?

At a guess I think my first cosplay cost around $100-$150. All I made was the coat and shoes, bought a wig and some basic makeup.
Now I tend to spend around $300 on average. But it varies of course with how complex the costume is.

Cosplaying boys taught me how to be a girl
kyokyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 02:52 AM   #20
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Some cosplays can be inexpensive and others can be overly expensive. The more fabric and details a design has, the more your spend. Plus any props and accessories and shoes and wigs, etc. Cosplay is an expensive and time consuming hobby.

I think the most expensive cosplay for me so far is my Saber cosplay...which I've lost track of how much I've spent on it xD. Some cosplays haven't been too pricey because I have a bunch of fabric lying around from when I worked at Joann fabrics, so the extra 15% off plus coupons helps. But, I don't remember how much I spent when I bought the fabric.

I can tell you though, after everything and bought and done for the Kyubey cosplay I made for my friend, I think we spent at least $300 with the fabric, thread, zipper, paint, gold rings, resin, dye, chicken wire, upholstery foam, stuffing, etc.

So no, I don't think $150 is too much.
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 03:46 AM   #21
Kenkaya

I don't know exactly how much my first cosplay cost, since I wore it for three years straight and kept improving/adding on to it as I learned more skills, but I'm pretty confident in guessing that it was well over $200. Depending on the character, cosplay can get very expensive.
Though I noticed the past couple years that my cosplay has been costing me less money as my closet fills up with more cosplay items. Last summer, I was able to re-use the wig from my first cosplay and that saved me a lot. Even then, the cheapest cosplay I've ever made still cost about $70.
Kenkaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #22
Pantzar

I’ve done two cosplays so far.
For my first one, I insisted in using real leather, so the material costs ended at $1625
My second one ended up costing $960

So there is a reason why I only do one cosplay per year.
Pantzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #23
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

$160 is totally reasonable for a cosplay! My cheaper-end cosplays run me around $150, my cheapest being maybe $50 (simple outfit and I already had a lot of the materials), but $200-250 is more like what I spend per cosplay. That includes specialty makeup, wigs, props-- all the trimmings.

My first cosplay was around the same price yours was, but since then I've been doing more complicated stuff. You can do awesome pieces with cheaper materials, but it takes a ton of patience! (Sometimes, though, there's no substitute.)
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #24
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

No, because everything came out of my closet. Even then,all of my cosplays have been $300 or less.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before

Last edited by seiryuux : 07-18-2012 at 08:37 AM.
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #25
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

It kinda is for me. My rangiku Cosplay will be my first. The soul reaper outfit w/scarf $55 Wig $6 Socks $6 sandals $10 badge $18 makeup $5 sword $20 contacts $25. My Temari Cosplay wil be my first homemade one. Fabric costed about $60 headband $20 wig $40 shoes $15 fan $30

I had a $200 budget...but I think I went over

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)

Last edited by Rangiku12 : 07-18-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #26
Clockwork_Ducky
Quack!

My first cosplay, which was an obscure outfit Ryoko wears in Tenchi Muyo, was probably less than $50 total. Granted, I payed absolutely no attention to how well the fabrics matched each other, or how they flowed together. I just went for color and cheap as possible. I didn't bother with a wig (which was an absolutely genius idea... note my sarcasm here), so that wasn't part of the cost. It was cheap, but it wasn't a very good costume, but not too horrible for a first try.

My current Pinkie Pie (which is my first cosplay in years), between fabrics, wig, and accessories, is likely coming close to $150-$200. It'll be a bit higher ultimately, because of the shoes I plan to get for it.

1950s Celestia (MLP:FiM), Undead Death Knight Starter Gear (WoW),
Lorna Dane Serval Industries (X-Factor), Adult Loki (Loki: Agent of Asguard), 10th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Clockwork_Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #27
Akahime
Red Princess

My first cosplay was probably Rin Tosaka from Fate/Stay Night.... and the thrift store amazingly had all that I was looking for and got everything under $20. BUT we must admit, that is a simple cosplay. My Tomoyo-Hime when I first started making it cost me at least $100. ' 3' I am fixing it again of course so it's going to go up to $150 real soon. But compared to other people, that is still relatively pretty average.
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Nausicaä (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind)?, Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?

Next cons: Midoricon, Anime Fusion?
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #28
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

On my first "real" cosplay, which was Spain from Hetalia, I dropped $100 and I don't even have a prop yet. It really depends on what you're making. And this was also before I figured out there were thrift stores in my area
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #29
Blood_Sword
Fabulous Boyfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantzar View Post
I’ve done two cosplays so far.
For my first one, I insisted in using real leather, so the material costs ended at $1625
My second one ended up costing $960

So there is a reason why I only do one cosplay per year.
O.o Holy banana...

Now it totally makes sense why you only do one cosplay a year. xD

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Team Aqua Grunt (male) - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire Version

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Tracon (13-14th September 2014)
SAT Hajime Saitō - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
SUN Ryūnosuke Ibuki - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #30
Kokoro Hane
Mangaka on a mission~

My first cosplay virtually cost nothing, since I had all the materials I needed for the uniform. I had a skirt, a white shirt (long sleeve), and a grey blazer that just had to be modified, as well as shoes. I bought the long socks for 99 cents, and I bought a tie for 10 dollars. Actually, if I had gone to 99 cents store FIRST the tie would of only been 99 CENTS ALSO! >.<
Meiko [default] (Vocaloid)
Hajime (Hamatora) {debuted at; Anime Conji 2014}
Tomoyo Daidouji [summer uniform] (Cardcaptor Sakura)

Currently in the works!
Kaiko Shion [blue dress - original] (Vocaloid)
Xiaoyu [school uniform] (Tekken Tag Tournament 2)
Kokoro Hane is offline   Reply With Quote