Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #46
Moonsong
daughter of evil

My first cosplay was Kikyou from InuYasha. I paid $120 to get it sewn by a local seamstress and $30 for a cheap crappy ebay wig...(I didn't know any better at the time x.x) so yeah, it was kind of expensive, seeing as how I was only 15 and that was like all of my money. lol.

Anime Expo & Otakon

★Shizuma (Strawberry Panic!) - 50% complete
★Saber (Fate/Zero) - 45% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #47
Marbleyes
Wishful Dreamer

My Lucy cosplay cost around $80 dollars. I bought the wig off someone on here for $20. The shorts were lent to me by my aunt who miraculously had teal shorts. The shirt was given to me by a friend and I just cut it up. White flip flops for $1.50. To make her horns cost about $10. The contacts cost me about $30 and make up was just about $2.

This cosplay is really my baby since she's the first one I actually put together. I'm pretty happy with the outcome.
Rei from Neon Genesis Evangelion [80%]
Vanessa from The Little Mermaid [50%

Past/Future Cons
Anime Apocalypse?
Con Alt Delete
Kollision Con 2013 [Saturday only]
Karoshi-Con 2013
Anime Midwest 2013
Anime Central 2013 [Saturday Only]
Marbleyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #48
ardhri
Falcon in the Dive

My first self-made costume was probably over $100 once I factored in the fabric, lining, wig, shoes, piping material, ribbon, and makeup.

My first commissioned costume was definitely over $100 for the labour and I can't remember how much the fabric was.

My cosplays now are rarely under $100 unless I can re-use pieces like wigs, or they're closet cosplays. Fabric gets expensive when you start buying the higher-quality stuff.
Suiguintou (Rozen Maiden)
Twilight Sparkle (Princess - My Little Pony)

Rest to be decided.
ardhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #49
BishoujoCosplay
~For Love and Justice~

My very first cosplay cost me about $30, but it was very simple, I was flat broke, and I bought most of it at the thrift store. I've spent up to $200 on a cosplay since then, and will likely wind up making more and more expensive costumes as I fall more and more in love with the art. Don't feel guilty over spending money as long as all the necessities in your life are paid for first. I'm of the opinion that you can't put a price tag on doing what you truly love.
BishoujoCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #50
Akushou

My first cosplay was probably around $50 or cheaper, since I didn't use a wig and most of the pieces came from my closet. Most of my outfits, though, have been over $100, and my current project is currently costing me over $300.

Cosplays in Progress:
+ Sesshoumaru (Inuyasha) - 99% complete
+ Pyrrha Nikos (RWBY) - 60% complete

Future Cosplays:
+ Casual Irisviel (Fate/Zero)
Akushou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #51
izumitastic
Procrastinator Queen

My first costume cost about $70 or so, counting the wig. I have added to it a bit, but nothing too substantial. A lot of thrift store shopping and small tweaks involved.

Ramencon
Kollision Con
Anime Apocolypse
izumitastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #52
evodev
awesome

talk about being expensive ... my first cosplay was as Illyria (Angel) and my near screen accurate (I say near because a fabric used on the OG is not available anymore so we had to substitute) was commissioned through Hollywood costume designer Shawna Trpcic who designed the original costume.

It cost me about $900, I didn't do the make up and I couldn't do the contact lenses due to having corrective lenses otherwise that would have cost me another $500 -_-

My 2nd cosplay as Blondie (Sucker punch) ran me at $600 and change ... I seem to have a habit of not choosing cheap priced costumes lol

Last edited by evodev : 07-20-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: delete
evodev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #53
Lucid_Enigma

My first cosplay was Allen Walker and he wasn't too expensive to make. I think I spent about $75 on fabric and patterns then $20 on the wig. My newer cosplays have been a lot more expensive unless I can alter regular clothes to make them, those are the cheap ones that I love to work with. Less money to spend is great for a girl trying to save the majority of the money she makes at work for college.
2D (Stuart Pot) 100%

Lucid_Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #54
pltshp
i did what i have to do

My first cosplay, Gary Oak's main outfit from Pokémon seasons 1-5, was super cheap. Excluding the binder, which was Ł25, the whole thing together including shirt, shoes and wig only cost about Ł30. This isn't including props, like the Pokéball and plushies. Which explains why that cosplay is so dog-shit terrible, and is why I'm working on making it much better.
pltshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #55
ShadowDrac
Sky Pirate

My first cosplay cost about $250. Extensive wig work (base wig, extensions, extension making materials), armor (craft foam), contacts, bodysuit (for decency), shoes, and other small things (clay, exacto blades, etc) all managed to raise the cost. Of course, I didn't know what I was doing back then, but it still would have been a massive chunk of cash.

My costumes now go from $70+, mainly because I have most of the supplies on hand already- which is generally the biggest drain of money when you are the only one in your family/friends who does this sort of thing.
~Novice Mage, Skyrim (base 90%, props 50%)
~Sheeda/Caeda, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon(base planned, prop planned, armor akdsjlfjasdf)

Cosplay Tumblr
DeviantArt
ShadowDrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 11:08 PM   #56
kuroi_shi
Nerd Girl

My first cosplay was Sailor Moon.. it was about $15. I used discount fabric, and I recycled my old t-shirts and bed sheets... And all accessories were made of cardboard painted with nail polish.. (It actually works quite well, I still make some accessories that way) I only wore the costume for about an hour, and only had 1 picture of it taken..
Unread 07-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #57
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

$160 sounds about right. My cosplays have ranged from $130-$200 depending on the character, and that's with me being completely lazy and usually not making props. My steampunk outfit has cost me around $250+ on fabrics, notions, jewelry, accessories, not to mention my bf was awesome and gifted me a brass mariner's telescope and I have no idea how expensive it was.
Lacus Clyne cost me roughly $200 because I purchased fabric and then realized it was wrong, so had to re-purchase new fabric, and the wig was imported so it cost about $60 on its own.
My current Ironman project has cost nearly $300 and is still going =/ I haven't even bought primer, paint, sandpaper, etc.
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #58
SeraphicSkitty

160 actually sounds fine. Once you get past the initial investment of tools and everything, it should get cheaper.
My first cosplay was Rinoa from FFVIII, and including the wig, it was only about $45. I knitted the duster by hand, which saved a lot of money given that the yarn was only $6, but it took about 3 months. The wig was thirty, and the fabric to make everything else was around $10.
My best tip for keeping costs down is to get a good idea of who all you plan on cosplaying, and then frequent fabric and thrift stores. If you find something you need that's on sale-even if you don't plan on using it just yet-go ahead and buy it. I know one local thrift store that actually sells fabric remnants for around 50 cents a yard, so, you should definitely find one that does something like that.
SeraphicSkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #59
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

Yeah, and thank god I took the hobby and ran with it since my first cosplay tipped the scale around at around $1,000. It would have sucked putting in all that work and then getting bored at the end. -_-
Unread 07-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #60
Victoria917

Wow, thanks for the helpful replies, everyone! I didn't think so many people would respond!

Actually, this cosplay is costing me a little over $160...almost $190, actually...
Victoria917 is offline   Reply With Quote