Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 07-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
WiseLoad43
The Chaos Freak

Exclamation How do YOU stay motivated?

I'm curious to know how you guys stay motivated to lose weight. Recently I put on a little more weight then I like and have slowly started dieting and exerciseing but I can't seem to keep myself motivated. But, I really want to shed a few pounds.

I would LOVE to know how do you guys keep yourself motivated? or even entertained when exercising? Cause I'm in a rut and would hope to get some idea's from what you guy's post.

Last edited by WiseLoad43 : 07-19-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Spelling error
WiseLoad43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
smoreface

Music helps- a lot. I think to myself a lot. I think "Just one more, fat-ass." "Get it moving! You can't bitch and moan about not being able to fit into those jeans if this is your sorry excuse for determination!" Mantra's help sometimes too, my favorite is "A one hour work out is 4% of your day- no excuses."
A few more mantras

I've lost a bit more weight since I've fell off the horse. It also helps to keep a diary of what you consume and what your work out consisted of. I made the BIGGEST mistake in the past with my work out routine ( I thought that the more calories I burned mattered more, not how intense it was...)
Unread 07-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
Hybrid nerd

I have been cage fighting for some years now and that requires a lot of training and hard work after my full time job and it can suck sometimes. But when i start to lose motivation i put myself on a schedule like the schedules in high school i wright it all down on a white board i keep in my room and its the first thing i see when i wake up and i wright the next day scheduled right before i go to bed do this long enough and your mind will subconsciously fall into a pattern and put time limits on this for example

1. cardio 8pm-830
2. core training 835-9
3. weight training 9-930

try this method out and most important that 80% of working out is mental trust me, just get up and go don't think good luck!
Hybrid nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Nyamo-Chan

I post a picture of the character next to all the places were i tend to over eat.(Pantry,Computer,Room, Refrigerator,etc...)
Also,I measure my weight everyday and make sure I don't gain a pound.Once I get to my goal,I make sure i stay there.and reward myself every once in a while for keeping my cravings under control.

My workout routine is quite easy,I go on the Wii Fit (i know,fail xD) and do the free step one for 30 minutes at a time.I end up watching anime while doing it and the 30 minutes go by real fast.I do this for 2 hours a day usually.
Good Luck on keeping Motivation~

Costumes to Debut this Year
Grell Sutcliff(Regular) 100%~Black Butler
Mami Tomoe(Madoka Magica)100%
Shizuo Heiwajea(Durarara(75%)
Dave Strider(Homestuck)60%
England (Hetalia) 10%

Cons this Year I will be Attending:
Akon 24
Anime Fest '13
Nyamo-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
RayOfLife
Steve!

I definitely agree that music keeps you motivated at the gym

I haven't been trying to lose weight but actually gain muscle and started working out. The hardest part was the first few weeks, and my motivation was watching all those big wwe wrestler guys when my dad would watch it on tv hahah.

RayOfLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 03:36 AM   #6
vmpdhntr

Nyamo-Chan is right, put a reminder in places where it keeps you motivated: the mirror, fridge, etc. It could be anything to motivate you, no matter how shallow it is.
vmpdhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 04:40 AM   #7
Tsukasa Hiiragi
Resident Airhead

Staying motivated is my biggest issue, I can get motivated pretty easily then after a month or so...just get lazy and then everything goes out the window and I'm back to square one.

~Future Cosplays~
Kaede Fuyou (Shuffle!)
Tohru Honda (Fruits Basket)
Misaki Ayuzawa (Maid Sama)

Facebook - Slice of Life Anime Club
My Gaming/Anime Livestream
Tsukasa Hiiragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
sunseenli
Philosophaster Ephemerist

For me, there's always something coming up where I'll want to fit into something special--a bridesmaid dress, a costume, or a swimsuit. I'll try on the clothing that I want to look good in once in a while, to see whether or not I'm looking any better in it.

Also, it helps a lot to enjoy doing what you're doing. Someone else mentioned Wii Fit above--that's what I use, too. Yes, it's not as intensive as working out on a Bowflex, but if you enjoy it enough to do it every day, it's still more useful than only using your weights/jump rope/Pilates DVDs once in a blue moon.
sunseenli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
cookievall

I join a bunch of fitblr tumblrs. Theyre always uploading quotes and recipies and exercises CX
Here are some i follow:

http://skinny-food-healthy-body.tumblr.com/
http://thefitnessdecision.tumblr.com/
http://agorgeousworld.tumblr.com/
http://piecesinprogress.tumblr.com/
http://weightlossproblems.tumblr.com/
http://fatonenomore.tumblr.com/
http://beingoverweightsucks.tumblr.com/
http://totalbodyconfidence.tumblr.com/
cookievall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
Kiro

For me, it's measurements. I watch the scale often and measure my waist periodically. My own progress keeps me going.

What I have trouble with is keeping at it without getting bored. At the gym, I like to bring my iPod filled with movies/anime to watch while I'm on the elliptical/cross-trainer/treadmill. When I'm lifting weights, I keep track of how many sets of reps I do and try to match or surpass them the next time around before increasing weights. When my gym membership expires, I'll probably look into dancing classes and other physically-strenuous classes.

I have to say, though, that the biggest help for me was keeping track of my calories. I don't do it anymore, but I lost the first 20 lbs looking at calorie charts, which scared me enough to look for healthier food alternatives.

I think the main issue most of us face is how we approach weight loss. Losing weight should not be something we do when we have the time. Rather, it's a complete life style change that does not take many breaks if any. Eat healthy, stay active.

2015 Conventions
AnimeNEXT
MAGFest?
Otakon?
PAX East
PwnEm Con?
Steampunk World's Fair?

2014 Conventions
Anime Boston
AnimeNEXT
CastlePoint
Otakon
Steampunk World's Fair
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #11
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Cookievall - Weightlossproblems is such an awesome Tumblr.
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #12
Mihamut

I usually blast some sort of heavy music. Whether I'm listening to metal/hardcore or some thumping dubstep, that helps out whenever I work out. That, and my motivation to be an amazing and fit Noel Kreiss cosplayer. Gotta do my fav. FF character justice.
Levi Heichou (Cleaning Outfit) (Attack on Titan)

Oh I haz a youtube channel with the amazing MeiChama
Mihamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 01:37 AM   #13
crimsonrazac

For me the trick was finding something I enjoyed. I have a slightly obsessive personality sometimes, so once I find something I enjoy I do what ever it takes to get better.

Climbing, bouldering to be specific, became my thing this year. I have summers off and right now I climb every other day climbing, and if I'm there for less than three hours a crave more(my longest day was 12 hours).

Glad to say my climbing improved, along with the added benefit of losing my stomach and gaining a set of visible abs without ever doing abdominal workouts.
(Heres what my heart-rate looks like when climbing. Stays high because even when I'm not climbing i'm walking around. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/205238040 )
crimsonrazac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
Comp_Stein

I do the p90x videos at home, and I have a wall next to my TV that has pictures of all the shirtless/open shirt characters that I want to cosplay, as a reminder of how I want my abs to look when I'm finished. I also have a calender on the back of my door with my exercise schedule so I'm reminded of what I'm working on that day.
Comp_Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
ktcaines

Music helps pass the time when I'm working out. I used to do boxing and hit the gym a lot but because my heart wasn't in it I didn't eat properly so I didn't really get results.

Its bad, but the crunch time before a con is what gets me moving. I really shouldn't wait til the last minute but I always do lol

When theres only a month left I really start going at it. I've also decided to join the Running Room. I don't know if that store is outside of Canada, but its basically a running group that meets three times a week.
ktcaines is offline   Reply With Quote