Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 02-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
PiesGoSplat

Talking ^^ Six pack competition?

Me and one of my friends are in a competition to get a six pack by the end of the year. Any advice?

Also, I'd love to hear about your diets and excersize routines that you take to keep in shape!

Thanks ^^
PiesGoSplat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2011, 12:56 AM   #2
Black-Star
Internet Addict

The good news - You probably already have a six pack
The bad news - It's probably covered by fat
If you want a six pack you are going to have to build up your muscles and change your diet. Sadly the fat around the stomach and abs is the first to be put on and the last to be lost. You wont be able to get rid of the fat above directly without liposuction ( and even then it will come back on)

Do you do any exercises at the moment? Cardio such as running, swimming biking, sport etc?
Do you do any strength exercises? eg push ups, pull ups, free weights, gym weights?

You have to do both to see any results, but you can work your way in slowly.

Also don't be too discouraged if one of you don't put on/ reveal as much muscle, if one cannot lose as much etc as everyone is different and what may work for you might not for them etc.
Black-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
PiesGoSplat

Thanks for replying ^^

Haha, yes, my six pack may be a little shy at the moment xD
I do run, and I also do pushups, sit ups, and crunches.

Also, I dont really want a full on ripped six pack. Just a little one :P
Unread 03-01-2011, 03:46 AM   #4
Black-Star
Internet Addict

Then yeah it's probably a diet thing.
Go easy on any sugar or fat loaded things like soda, sweets etc.
Also eat more protein. It will fill you up so you don't feel like eating as much and give your muscles enough to work with that they will grow. To get the fully ripped look you need to have a very low bodyfat~ but to get even a little it doesn't take much so don't give up!

You don't have to just take my word for it though there are plenty of diet and exercise things on this forum.

And no problems. This forum really helped me so I just like to pass it on.
Black-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Kasinator
Not quite human

Three things:

-CARDIO Every day. for twenty minutes. This will loose the gut.

-Diet - Look at the nutrition guide in the thread directory

-DO NOT DO AB EXERCISES EVERY DAY - The muscles will need rest for their growth.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD

Last edited by Kasinator : 03-01-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 06:03 AM   #6
CrimsonDenizen
On the Red Team

I approve this competition. Good luck to you all. Keep us posted!!

*Seated Ab Crunches are great yo ^^

Dev.Art - http://www.crimsondenizen.deviantart.com/
CrimsonDenizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
Samby
First year Cospalying

The cure to everything, lift weights! Doing cardio will help a lot but what will consistently burn the most fat is having muscle. So with that in mind, do both cardio and lift weights if you aren't already. No point in having a 6-pack if you aren't strong elsewhere right? Yes you need to rest but a day is enough rest time for your core usually so be sure to get them in often. Also make sure if you are doing situps that you are getting full range of motion.

A few suggestion for you to do besides simply situps, Planks, Side Planks, Decline Situps, weighted decline situps, or medicine ball situps.
Samby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 02:21 AM   #8
PiesGoSplat

Lol, I haven't been to this thread for ages, but thanks for all the replies.
As it turns out, my friend and I both lost the competition (we were really lazy tehee).
Anyway, so I have been training for a couple of weeks now because I decided to actually do something. Luckily, I don't put on much weight, so I don't have much of a gut to lose.

I thought I should mention a few things.

Okay to start off I am a 4'11 female weighing at 46kg.
I have been walking/running for about half an hour every day. I do muscle exercises every second day. So far, I have gained muscle in my legs and arms and my calfs no longer jiggle xD

I read the nutrition guide that you posted, Kasinator. It was very helpful, although most of the things you listed on there, I already eat as our family is into healthy eating and we don't have junk food that often.

Also, could anyone make up a workout guide for me? For example, listing what exercises I should do and how long I should do them for?

Thanks again for all the replies.

Edit: I also believe that I will be getting some dumbbells tonight!

Last edited by PiesGoSplat : 10-25-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
Darrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiesGoSplat View Post

Also, could anyone make up a workout guide for me? For example, listing what exercises I should do and how long I should do them for?

Thanks again for all the replies.

Edit: I also believe that I will be getting some dumbbells tonight!
Nutrition grossly oversimplified:
Vegetables at Every meal. Drink water like its your job, so you don't retain it, get cut faster.
whey protein is great riiight after a work out, absorbed quickly and easily broken down into amino acids to repair muscle right when you need it most.
Workout that will hit muscles at ever angle:
take a look at what Lazar Angelov does
http://www.cutandjacked.com/Workout-...-Lazar-Angelov
the first portion is always the hardest, with big compound lifts working large muscle groups before everything else. I've gone from around 11% bodyfat to 9% by incorporating that plan over the past two months. =)

I say re-challenge your friend.
Darrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
~Ichigo~

Maybe we should a cos.com ab competition :B?
~Ichigo~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #11
djlemma

I've been doing pilates a bit. It hasn't actually given me back my 6-pack yet, but it's one of the best ab-workouts I've done in my life. If nothing else you'll actually be stronger and fitter, which should be more important than appearances if you ask me!
djlemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
EastCoastKing

I have a pretty fair six pack, though not of the chiseled, granite-hard variety. I suspect this is partially because of my natural bodyframe, which is very lean and small-boned. I find the best advice for working the abs is that the real key is contraction; I actually prefer leg lifts and planks as they force you to keep the abdominal muscles contracted much tighter than I feel crunches do. Don't forget to include twisting style movements to tighten the obliques and abs.
Unread 11-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #13
nikkiolie

I'm working on getting abs. I can see them a little at this point but I want to work on getting rid of the layer of fat covering them and I should be good. I would be up for a little competition. This is a picture I took a little while ago that shows where I am at right now. Not bag but I could be much better if I work a little harder. I think my diet is going to only be those ten things :P
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...37212234_n.jpg
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
bunny_Bri

I thought it might be interesting to note that six pack abs are actually only achievable by genetics! I had a girlfriend who was in Exercise Science in college and she took a class where the professor noted that what is popularly referred to as a "Six Pack" could only be achieved by those who were born with abs what were already shaped as such. I also remember something about how taunt your tendons were or some such thing. Anyhow, long story short getting the deeps grooves between the muscles is something you're born with.

On that note it's totally possible to at least get the nice outline and possibly the line down the middle for just about everyone. Either way, which ever type of abs you were born with, it's quite admirable of you to want to work hard to show what you've got. Good luck to everyone!
Unread 11-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #15
~Ichigo~

This is where im starting as of tomorrow http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...754/AbDay1.jpg

I'm going to upload another ab pic in 30 days and show the comparison.

p.s. my current stomach is like that from just sitting around on the computer all day :P.

Last edited by ~Ichigo~ : 11-09-2012 at 06:30 AM.
~Ichigo~ is offline   Reply With Quote