Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Legend of Zelda

Unread 10-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Bombadillo

Ocarina of Time Zelda

In preparation for a possible OoT group, and general long-term desire to do some form of her, I'll be starting on an OoT Zelda soon. My main question are about the dress itself, so please bear with me. Hyrule Historia and the game itself give it what looks like shades of purple, or maybe a purple-y pink for the dress with a darker purple bodice. However I've seen cosplays which use tones of pink only, or even white for the dress and pink for the bodice. Is one more correct than the other or is this just based on the availability of fabric in the right colors?

Also, just generally, would the sort of ear points you can find labelled as 'elf' or maybe 'Mr. Spock/Vulcan' work for Zelda? Or should I be looking for ones that are a bit longer from start to tip?

Unread 10-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
usuyukisou

It has been a long time since I played the game, but going off the Hyrule Historia images, her dress seems to be a very very light purple-ish pink. Her bodice appears to be a medium-ish pink with blue undertones. It looks more purple than it is because most of it is in shadow.

On the other hand, the concept art uses a plum-ish colour for the bodice. If that is more flattering on you, it would still be recognizably Zelda, and as long as the purple doesn't veer into TP territory, it would still be recognizably OoT.

For the ears, many people use Aradani Elf ears... I think the ones most commonly used are the Small Anime Elf model?
Unread 10-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
Darth Sunshine

In the Hyrule Historia art, 3DS version of the game, and now the Hyrule Warriors OoT costume, the dress and bodice are both distinctly purple.

In the N64 version of the game, the top is pink leaning towards purple, and the dress is a really light cool tone pink.

The official art for the original 64 version, and in game model in SSB, portray the dress as flat out pink.

I'd say any of those color variations are totally fine, they're all official Nintendo sources. I've seen a lot of people use white for the dress too, and I think it's lovely. I really wanted to do the purple color palette for mine, but I couldn't find any fabrics that worked for it. I ended up going with a color palette similar to what you see in the N64 version of the game, because my choices were limited to what was available. Go with what you can find and makes you happy!

If you're talking about the kind of ears you see in Halloween stores this time of year, I'd avoid them. It's not necessarily the quality, but they are usually pretty short, and most of them just add a small point to your ears. OoT characters have ridiculously long ears, so I'd recommend something that sticks out at least a little bit.

Like usuyukisou mentioned Aradani is a very popular option. Most people favor their Large Anime elf ears for OoT characters. CosplayFX is another option, I have a pair of these for my ALttP Zelda costume and they're very nice, but they do come unpainted. A friend of mine uses LunaNera ears and loves them. They're available through this etsy shop.
Darth Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2014, 06:04 PM   #4
Bombadillo

Thanks both for the suggestions, they're quite helpful! Nice to know that I have some options when it comes to colors, in case the purple schemes don't work out. I went out to look at fabrics today and only found one pink-ish purple I thought looked okay for the dress. Unfortunately they didn't have enough of it to make the dress, so I'll be shopping around some more. Would simply a cool, light purple/lavender work for the dress or should it lean more towards pink? Ideally I'd like to try for the purples myself, but I do have a large amount of white fabric to fall back on if I can't find anything.

On a related note, what should I do about the gloves? Obviously they need to match the dress or at least be reasonably close in color. I've had a lot of bad experiences trying to sew gloves before so I'd really rather not have to deal with that if at all possible.

Furthermore I'm unsure what to do about the belt. A friend of mine can help with the armor and tiara, but the belt isn't something he thinks he can do. I've got very little skill with such things myself so any suggestions for where to go with that?
Unread 10-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
Darth Sunshine

A light purple or lavender would be great! I'd make sure to find a top fabric that coordinates with it before purchasing a bunch though.

As far as gloves go, yeah, no way was I going to sew any either. I got mine off of eBay, and they just happened to match my dress fabric perfectly. You could start with white and try dyeing them as well.

The belt really stumped me for a while. I ended up casting the pieces out of resin, and super glued them to a strip of Sintra which I heat formed to fit my waist. There's probably an easier way to do it, but I wanted to make it was really sturdy.
Unread 10-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
Bombadillo

That's exactly what I'm thinking when I'm going through bolts of fabric, constantly comparing darker purples to the nice light ones I find. So far no luck, but I did order my gloves. I figure it'll be easier to match fabric to the gloves than the other way around; this also locks me into using purple since the glove are, well, purple. Getting pretty excited and all I've done is look at fabric and buy gloves!

Thanks for the link and the suggestions for the belt. Not sure what I'll do about it, or if I'll have to put out a 'commission wanted' ad in the marketplace for it. What kind of fabric would people recommend for the dress? The gloves are stretch satin, but is satin good for the dress as well (that's my current plan)?
Unread 10-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
Chikkijet
I am a Woman-Child :P

As for the ears, I get that the concept art shows them to be fairly long, but on me, they'd look ridiculous. I went with the Aradani in the small elf, and I get lots of compliments on them. So far I've used them for TP, LttP and OoT Zelda and for my Hilda. Purists would quibble they are too small but cosplay for me, not for others :P So go with what you like

Good luck, OoT Zelda is becoming on of my favourites, when done right she's beautiful!

Awards: EB Expo Runner Up Best Costume Just 'Cos Contest '12, Video Games Live Dubai Cosplay Winner '13
Chikkijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
Darth Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo View Post
What kind of fabric would people recommend for the dress? The gloves are stretch satin, but is satin good for the dress as well (that's my current plan)?
Definitely! Low-luster satins are a very popular choice for Zelda dresses. I think I've ended up using Casa Satin from Joann's for most of mine so far. XD I've also seen silks and taffeta used with lovely results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikkijet View Post
As for the ears, I get that the concept art shows them to be fairly long, but on me, they'd look ridiculous. I went with the Aradani in the small elf, and I get lots of compliments on them. So far I've used them for TP, LttP and OoT Zelda and for my Hilda. Purists would quibble they are too small but cosplay for me, not for others :P So go with what you like
A few of my friends use these for OoT characters too. I have a pair of their large ones, and it's a bit extreme on me as well. I never wear them any more. XD