Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
NikolaElvenmaid
Master Exploder

An alternative for textile medium?

Is there something else i can mix with acrylic paint to make it more like fabric paint? Or at least give it a bit more.. staying power?
NikolaElvenmaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Penlowe

hmmm.... not really. Textile medium makes the paint dry flexible instead of rigid like it would naturally. It does not affect the bonding ability of paint to fabric, only prevents cracking over time. Acrylic paint adheres to fabric fabulously all on it's own.

If what you are painting is small (are you the one stenciling keys?) you can skip the fabric medium all together, because the painted area isn't big enough to need to stretch or flex.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
NikolaElvenmaid
Master Exploder

I was more going for allover vertical stripes. I've already painted one set, and upon doing that, realized that the allover garment is far too bright a red..

So on finding that and realizing the suiting I'm using won't dye (Tryed it before, failed miserably) I've either got to suck it up and buy new fabric, start from square one.. Or buy acrylic medium and thinly paint the remainder of the coat...

THEN I got to walmart and lo and behold, they don't carry textile medium anymore.
Our local fabricland went out of buisness, so it's a 45min+ drive to get to anywhere that might have it, or to fabric-buying possibilities..

It just doesn't work with no transport of your own. @_@

An acrylic dyebath might work, perhaps? With synthetic fabrics? I'm not sure what else to do besides suck it up and buy new fabric. D:
NikolaElvenmaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
Penlowe

Try dickblick.com great prices on all kinds of art supplies, they ship everywhere. Or buy new fabric. Sorry, I hate it when that happens.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote