Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Otakuthon

Unread 07-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
jusdepomme
Beyond Dreams Cosplay

masquerade changes/ changement à la mascarade

English text will follow

attention à tous les cosplayers. otakuthon à diminué le nombre d'inscription à la mascarade à seulement 40 entrées cette année une semaine avant l'événement sans avertir personnes. cela signifie que plusieurs personnes se déplaçant seulement pour la mascarade ne pourront y participer alors qu'on aurait facilement pu augmenter les inscriptions à 80 tellement on avait des intéressés. bref, c'est comme si vous aviez acheté des billets de spectacle et qu'à la porte, on vous disait que seulement 66% des gens pourront y assister. passez le mot!

----------------------------
attention all cosplayers. otakuthon's just lowered the number of participants to 40 to the masquerade one week prior to the event without advertising it. that means that a lot of persons who wanted to go only for the masquerade won't be able to be in it. we could easily have 80 participants to the masquerade. it's like having bought your tickets to this wonderful show and knowing at the door that only 66% of people will be able to get in. pass the info!

Follow your dreams, who knows where they'll get you?

jusdepomme is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
EmpressofSquee
Random Squee Generator

Bon! Et voilà qu'on nous complique encore plus la chose! Au moins nous dire la capacité approximative de la salle d'attente...

Révision du nombre d'entrées pour la mascarade
2012-07-30

Veuillez noter que le nombre d'entrées à la mascarade a été révisé comme suit :

Afin de respecter la sécurité des participants, le nombre maximal d'entrées pour la mascarade a été révisé. La mascarade acceptera désormais les entrées sur une base de premier arrivé, premier servi fondée sur le nombre de participants par entrée ainsi que la capacité d'accueil de la salle d'accueil (greenroom). Les entrées seront acceptées durant les heures d'inscription à la mascarade le vendredi jusqu'à ce que la moitié de la capacité d'accueil ait été atteinte. La seconde moitié des inscriptions se fera le samedi. Nous nous excusons des inconvénients causés et nous vous remercions de votre compréhension.

Masquerade Entry Cap Revised
July 30th, 2012

Please note that the Masquerade entry capacity has been revised as follows:

In order to respect the safety and security of the participants, the Masquerade entry capacity has been revised. The Masquerade will now be accepting entries on a first-come, first-serve basis based on the number of participants per entry and capacity of the greenroom. Entries will be accepted during Masquerade registration hours on Friday until half of the capacity has been filled with the remainder being filled on Saturday. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

Cosplay 2013:

Anime North: Princess!Dory (Finding Nemo), Mrs. Brisby (Secret of NIMH, the hubby is doing Nicodemus!)
Otakuthon: TBD

Costume Con 32 Super-special-awesome-chocolatey-coated-secret cosplay!
EmpressofSquee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Managed to get 61 entries into the masquerade so that is some good news. Hopefully things will be a little more well defined next year.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
EmpressofSquee
Random Squee Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijugal View Post

Managed to get 61 entries into the masquerade so that is some good news. Hopefully things will be a little more well defined next year.
That is good news

I think people were more upset at the lack of communication/explanation than with the change itself. They could have just said "the green room capacity is x number of people so that's the limit" instead of clouding the issue with a vague number of "entries."

Anywho, had a great time! Looking forward to next year... looks like I might be getting the hubby into the act too

Cosplay 2013:

Anime North: Princess!Dory (Finding Nemo), Mrs. Brisby (Secret of NIMH, the hubby is doing Nicodemus!)
Otakuthon: TBD

Costume Con 32 Super-special-awesome-chocolatey-coated-secret cosplay!
EmpressofSquee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #5
Mokmo

I'm hoping for lots more entries, a huuuge room and some denparents who aren't just people plucked from volunteers ops at the last minute.
(Can you guess what job i was doing in there ?)
Mokmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
MDA
Destiny Productions

I didn't enter like I did the last two years... more due to the fact that the concept of having to be in there six hours beforehand if you wanted workmanship judging didn't fly with me. Stuck in the same room for hours is not my friend (is why I couldn't stand school)

But I'll be there next year for sure. I'm not being given a choice by my group xD I fear it... *hides away and pokes at the lost final chance of Novice entry*

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #7
KakeraのTsuki
in Somniō

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDA View Post
I didn't enter like I did the last two years... more due to the fact that the concept of having to be in there six hours beforehand if you wanted workmanship judging didn't fly with me. Stuck in the same room for hours is not my friend (is why I couldn't stand school)

But I'll be there next year for sure. I'm not being given a choice by my group xD I fear it... *hides away and pokes at the lost final chance of Novice entry*
Check in at 1:30pm was printed on the info sheet, but it was possible to check in as late as 4:30 (which is pretty much what my friends and I ended up doing, lol.). 2.5 hours of green room time is pretty decent. =P

But we only got that info when we asked at the desk. Personally, I also wouldn't enter masquerade if it meant 6 hours of green room time.

Otakuthon: Ashe(League of Legends), Artwork (Nardack illustrations)

Upcoming: Lyndis (Fire Emblem: awakening), Abel (Trinity Blood), Fruit Tart (Sakizo)

KakeraのTsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Kaijugal
☆FibreFantasyArtist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDA View Post

There is absolutely NO NEED for a 6+ hour wait beforhand! I have tried to communicate this to the current organizer after observing the masquerade backstage first hand this year. Making contestants wait from 1:30pm all the way until the 7pm stage time is insane. I hope the policies will change for next year.

I am writing what I hope will be a helpful review with recommendations for the Otakuthon organizers.

The International Costuming Convention is coming to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Dealers, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels, Contests, Classes and Events. Costumes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitons, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Big Fricken Trophies and so much more!
Get your membership today!
www.costumecon32.com
Kaijugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
Mokmo

The "hours to be in the green room" were probably what turned people off from participating in the masquerade. I worked in the green room, the organizers know what i think of the whole thing (it's a lot of little things that somehow worked out in the end, but it was tiring).
Unread 11-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

yikes! I was thinking of entering next year (2013) but if I'd really have to be there for 1:30, no way! we have other plans that don't involve the cosplay I'd be entering for that day, so I'd have to change at 12, meaning only a few hours in my Saturday cosplay... NUH UH! I'd be more likely to just be that one all day then, which isn't fair to my group who isn't entering...
4:30 should be enough time certainly if they are not allowing more then 40-60 entries... AN's isn't until 5:30 and they get 80+ entires and start at 8pm...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
Mokmo

I have no idea how AN does that... People have less than a minute to get judged ?
Unread 11-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #12
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokmo View Post
I have no idea how AN does that... People have less than a minute to get judged ?
they have different judges for each level (or each set of judges does 2 divisions) and there is always 2 separate judges... so 2 groups can be judged at a time per division... but being in at 5:30 isn't giving less then a minute :S that's 150 minutes until start time at 8pm... there's only up to 90 entires... thats 1.66666666666(goes on forever 6s) minutes each IF there was only one set of judges... with 2 judges that increases to 3.3333333(goes on forever 3s) minutes per entry, and there is usually even more judges then that so... you usually can have about 6 minutes with a workmanship judge... more for more complicated costumes, less for simpler ones, so it usually works out to starting pretty close to 8pm... at least this last year it started right on time for once (sometimes its 10-30 minutes late but its usually not because judging is behind so much as it is general event syndrome...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote