Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 02-21-2013, 04:13 AM   #1
Nubby

New to cosplaying

Hey, I have a very sensitive subject for you guys and I'm going to try to make this very short. The last time I was here I got made fun of and disrespected and that was a year ago, so I'm going to try this one more time.

At this very moment I'm on a diet I started last Friday and stuck to it, but sometimes things get in the way.

I want to cosplay as Kirito from Sword Art Online but here are a few factors that many of you may dislike for one I'm 5"7 and 308 (Not sure how much I weigh now but my waste seem to have gotten a couple inches smaller). I really want to EXPERIENCE what it's like to be a cosplayer very badly...but at the same time I don't want to go and and have people point they're fingers at me because "I'm not doing it right" or "I got FEED" honestly I'm pretty scared right now, but there isn't any other cosplay at my size that I can do.

I've talked to a lot of OTHER plus size cosplayers as well, they support the idea but at the same time I got this dark shadow behind me that's giving me serious doubt. To even doubt the idea of me cosplaying I had a very good friend of mine who's an artist but not really into the anime or anime art in general, to draw mw in the cosplay, honestly I look awful.

I think I'm considering not to cosplay at all even though it looks really fun. Look I dunno I want some honest input on this before I reach my final decision because the Anime Expo here in LA is in 5 months.

Side note: He wanted to fix my face/neck and legs..but I told he it doesn't matter because regardless this is what it comes down to.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Nubby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Nubby

bump.
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
CosplayerKirito
"The Invisible"

Hey Nubby,

In all honesty, it shouldn't matter what people think about you cosplaying as (forgive me if this is insulting, I'm really not trying to be ;-; ) a thinner character, because if you want to partake in the cosplay scene, take it by storm. Make a name for yourself, and make people see that no matter the weight, height, whatever of the cosplayer, that anyone can do it right, whether it be awesome costume design, or, if your goals are to slim right down, that anyone can change. Be comfortable, and if people give you lip, look them straight in the eyes, serious expression and say "Yeah, that may be, but at least I'm doing something I've always wanted to, regardless of what I look like"

From that drawn photo, I think you'd make a pretty damn awesome Kirito, so I say go for it. Worst people can do is say it sucks, but for every 1 that says something bad, there's generally 2 or more saying how cool, or awesome it looks.
Heathcliff
Asuna
Yoruichi (Bleach)
Ino Yamanaka 75% (Need wig cut and styled)
Conventions Planned:
CosplayerKirito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
Arbite
Shut up and move!

This is in fitness. Do you want help/advice on losing weight and getting fitter?
Arbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #5
Nubby

@CosplayerKirito thank you for those words....and I really want to do this I'm even spitting out 300 dollars to buying the swords hopefully by next month.

@Arbite I do want advice, I've got to a website called MyfitnessPal.com and I'm not even sure if its working....I started my diet last Friday, I'm not starving my self or anything but I'm trying to eat less.

I've Been doing Sit ups, pushups (Knee position) but I'm very "Top Heavy" so I can't do a full on legs out push ups, Jumping jacks, I started to do Squats, and something called Planking lol kind of strange 0.0. More advice/Help would be great because I have literally 5 months for the Anime Expo here in LA.
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
CosplayerKirito
"The Invisible"

Hey Nubby, add me on Skype if you'd like. I always like meeting new people. My skype is in my sig. I can probably suggest some exercises for you, if you'd like.
Heathcliff
Asuna
Yoruichi (Bleach)
Ino Yamanaka 75% (Need wig cut and styled)
Conventions Planned:
CosplayerKirito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
pandagilbirds
Is this a pigeon?

Hey. I'm on the same boat as you. It's like people telling me that it's completely fine to be not "anime weight" and I get what they mean. But at the same time, I'm anxious or insecure about my body. This is completely normal.

I'm going to AX in 5 months as well and I officially started my diet 2 weeks ago. My BMI scale is almost obese. In that time period I lost 4 lbs. It's better to try first within those 5 months. It's also healthier for the body.

However
, please do not feel the need to give up this what you love because of what society thinks. I think you should go for it no matter what but never give up.
pandagilbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:24 AM   #8
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubby View Post
@CosplayerKirito thank you for those words....and I really want to do this I'm even spitting out 300 dollars to buying the swords hopefully by next month.

@Arbite I do want advice, I've got to a website called MyfitnessPal.com and I'm not even sure if its working....I started my diet last Friday, I'm not starving my self or anything but I'm trying to eat less.

I've Been doing Sit ups, pushups (Knee position) but I'm very "Top Heavy" so I can't do a full on legs out push ups, Jumping jacks, I started to do Squats, and something called Planking lol kind of strange 0.0. More advice/Help would be great because I have literally 5 months for the Anime Expo here in LA.
Best advice is to try and find a gym. Start lifting, and take advantage of an eliptical. At your weight, running on a treadmill will be pretty bad for your knees, so the elliptical is the best.

Aim for lots of lean meats (chicken, turkey, lean mince) and veggies. If you can, stop eating bread.
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:25 AM   #9
daylight
Sugar Junkie

looks like we got an over thinker here

Just do it, there are allot worse sights to see at anime expo then a fully clothed overweight guy.

its possible you will get a nasty comment or two, but most likely no one is going to care
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:35 AM   #10
Nubby

The gym part here in California wont happen lol you need money for that, the only reason why I'm able to pay all this is well....a...law suit I won? lol even then I'll only be able to afford the cosplay, a camera and the rest on hotel and tickets for the Anime expo.

as for the food, I'm trying very hard to stay away from bread, and especially TAKE OUT food....ever since I started the diet I can seriously taste the salt in most of everything and it makes me sick lol.

I have been Walking a lot since I started, 60 mins (Hour) of walking...and 40-50 mins of bike riding (when I'm able to, my neighbor is lending me one of his bikes. I'm starting to get use to drinking water and im not use to drinking water like I should have been but I'm stating to get there...drinking a tall glass now.
Unread 02-22-2013, 01:11 AM   #11
Arbite
Shut up and move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubby View Post
I have been Walking a lot since I started, 60 mins (Hour) of walking...and 40-50 mins of bike riding (when I'm able to, my neighbor is lending me one of his bikes. I'm starting to get use to drinking water and im not use to drinking water like I should have been but I'm stating to get there...drinking a tall glass now.
Thats ok if you can't join a gym. Its just that lifting is actually one of the best ways to burn fat and lose weight. Sounds like you're off to a fantastic start though, so keep at it. After about two weeks you will notice a difference in the way you feel. And if you don't, you will notice a rapid difference on a day where you don't move around and if you eat take out again. These days if I have a day or two when I eat like crap and am reasonably sedentary, it feels like i've got the onset of the flu.
Unread 02-22-2013, 01:17 AM   #12
Nubby

ugh that's not good...XD I think I lost maybe 2 or 3 incs in my waist...the pants I have are 50x43 and im a 308 guy...so maybe I lost a few? hmmm.
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
Nubby

Well according to our fancy GLASS weight scale we have here at home hehe, I lost 8 pounds so from 308 to 300 exactly
Unread 02-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
nikkiolie

Keep it up. Keep up the dieting. Its hard to see some progress at the start but don't be discouraged. Keep at it.

As for the cosplay who cares what others think. Just do it? You will find that you aren't alone. You are off to a great start. If you are able to take walks, even if its 10 minutes. If you have a mall near by walk from one end to the other a few times. I'm sure you will do great!

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #15
Brolin
Pabulous

Hey Nubby. My advice is long overdue, but here's my two cents. Work ethic, and belief.

Are you the first person ever to try to lose a ton of weight in less than half a year? Good news and bad news, buddy. Bad news, you're not. Good news, the other people before you... they succeeded. Most? Forty pounds. A little more of them lost sixty pounds. A few even made it to as far as to one hundred, and beyond that. The only thing I'm really here to tell you is that the only thing different from you, and those people, is that they're five months ahead of you. Those months didn't pass by fast for them though. Every time their water weight would bounce right back up, they didn't get discouraged and depressed. A meal going bad for them didn't ruin their healthy eating habits for the rest of the day, or weekend. Some aches, sores, and cramps here and there didn't make them forget their exercise. All they had as they went day by day avoiding their temptations and desires to eat this, and skip that was the knowledge that all of their hard work would lead up to them being to truly face themselves in the mirror. They wanted to succeed more than they wanted to breathe.

Maybe you knew all that already - probably because you experienced all of that first hand yourself. More times than you also probably can remember as well. Work ethic. Belief. Believe that you can, and then you go do it. Stop doubting yourself. Other people will, and already are. Am I? Oh yeah, a little bit of me doubts you too. You shouldn't have needed to make this thread in the first place to voice your insecurities about yourself, buddy. You REALLY want to cosplay? YOU. There's no other person involved in that. YOU want to do it. If that means you have to lose some fat to feel better about cosplaying, then you just go ahead. No questions, no doubts, and absolutely no arguments. This is your passion. This is your life. Nike, don't sue me. Just do it.

If you need tips, PM me. Otherwise, I'll see you at AX. I would say good luck, but you don't need that. You got this.
Brolin is offline   Reply With Quote