Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 02-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
CyberCandy
Just a v i r u s

Help with my diet?

So I decided to weigh myself since I haven't done it in months. I've gained a lot of weight, and I'm not sure if it's because of lack of exercise or if I'm not eating right.

here's a list of the times I weighed myself:
May: 134
November: 171
February: 194.9

I would like to get back to weight I had last May. I'm a little worried that the way I eat has something to do with it. The last time I asked about how to fix my diet I was called a liar because I said that I ate less than 300 calories that day. Which was true, I guess I'm like a binge eater. There are some days I eat nothing, some days I eat just an apple, some days I get a regular meal, and some days where I eat like a week's worth of food. I never really had a problem with the way I eat, but if fixing my eating habits can help me lose some weight, I'd be up for it.

CyberCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
12WolfZ
thersAferinthehenhows

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCandy View Post
So I decided to weigh myself since I haven't done it in months. I've gained a lot of weight, and I'm not sure if it's because of lack of exercise or if I'm not eating right.

here's a list of the times I weighed myself:
May: 134
November: 171
February: 194.9

I would like to get back to weight I had last May. I'm a little worried that the way I eat has something to do with it. The last time I asked about how to fix my diet I was called a liar because I said that I ate less than 300 calories that day. Which was true, I guess I'm like a binge eater. There are some days I eat nothing, some days I eat just an apple, some days I get a regular meal, and some days where I eat like a week's worth of food. I never really had a problem with the way I eat, but if fixing my eating habits can help me lose some weight, I'd be up for it.
What kind of foods do you usually eat? The number one thing you're generally told to cut out is sugar. I was taught that it's not really supposed to be about eating; or not it eating, but what you actually put into your body combined with having a regular workout plan of some kind.
12WolfZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
CyberCandy
Just a v i r u s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12WolfZ View Post
What kind of foods do you usually eat? The number one thing you're generally told to cut out is sugar. I was taught that it's not really supposed to be about eating; or not it eating, but what you actually put into your body combined with having a regular workout plan of some kind.
I generally eat a lot of salad and fruits. I don't eat a lot of red meat, but I probably it a couple times a month. I eat a lot of chicken though and mushrooms.

I don't eat a lot of sweets anymore.

Unread 02-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
nikkiolie

Have you started taking any new pills recently? There are a lot of pills that can cause very high weight gain.

Also it sounds like your diet is very poor. I strongly recommend you get at least 1200 calories a day. That is pretty much the bare minimum that your body needs to function (it can be slightly different for everyone but around there). Though I think it would be best to see a doctor.

I would say if you haven't started any new pills then you should probably change your eating habits. As you get older your metabolism slows down and for some people it can happen very quickly (though i don't know if a few months is enough time to slow it down that much). Just try counting calories for a week and keeping track of how many calories you burn just doing daily activities. For myself I burn about 1500 calories a day so I can eat 1500 and not gain weight. If I eat less I lose weight, if I eat more I gain.

But there is something you are doing that your body doesn't like and the best suggestion is to see a doctor.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
SukiPixie

I would stay consistent.
I am the exact same way as you though I never eat really.
Avoid the days where you eat a lot and other than that, just make sure you continue to have no slip ups. Eat the fruit, eat the salad, but watch what you put on it!
Also work out. Now there is so many myths going around but just doing some squats, crunches, push ups and then dancing for like 30 minutes will do it! The biggest thing is AGAIN consistency.
But yeah it's hard for me to talk since I have the same problems v.v
Though mine came when I took some medicine that made me gain weight like a mule -_-
SukiPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
creatingchaos

Having your weight fluctuate so much is not healthy for you id talk to your doctor if things dont even out. the way you're binging and purging can cause your body a lot of stress. not eating causes the body to go into starvation mode and shuts down the metabolism and eating too much slows it down as well. good luck sweety i hope it all works out for you!! <3
creatingchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
pandagilbirds
Is this a pigeon?

What you are experiencing is something called "Yo-yo effect." Just like your diet, what you consume is like a yoyo going down and up suddenly. Bascially, your body is not ready to eat too much when you ate small amount of food the day before. What you need is a consistent diet. If you really want to lose weight fast, I suggest reducing your meal portion little by little.

Start reducing whatever you would normally eat to half but still fulfilling the three meals a day.
Then, try not eating dinner at all but a small snack such as a healthy smoothie (I suggest Naked) or nutritious bars.
Stay away from soda and chips. Once in a while, pizza or such oily foods are okay because you can't help family gatherings or going out with your friends.

Did you have a lot of stress the past year. It is a concerning weight increase. Find something you like to do to replace that stress. You might need more time for yourself.

Also, diet is 50% meal and 50% exercise. Never forget it! C:
pandagilbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
CyberCandy
Just a v i r u s

I don't really think I need to see a doctor. I decided to make a food journal so I can keep track of what I eat. I'm trying to get my diet on more of a consistent level, before I do anything else.

Here's the link; http://chubby--bunnie.tumblr.com/

Unread 02-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
nikkiolie

Based off what you have posted you need to eat more. You probably gained all the weight because your metabolism is slowing down drastically. You are getting less than 1000 calories a day and you need to be getting over 1200. What you are doing is extremely unhealthy and is on the border line of eating disorder if it isn't already. I still say you need to see a doctor.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
Eerie Butterfly
Bacon, the candy of meats

I've been going to this http://www.muscleandstrength.com/ website for months to help me lose weight. It gives you advice for weight loss, muscle gain, diet examples, and much more.

The fastest way of losing fat is by lifting weights (more than 10 lbs preferably). I promise that you will not get bulky (unless you're male or on steroids) because females lack the testosterone to get bulky (Google it if you don't believe me). I also promise, if you're a teenager, you will not have your height stunted; that's a myth.

Cardio alone will take a bit longer to show results because you only lose the calories while you're doing cardio. When you lift weights, your muscles are being torn and your body rebuilds them. Since it's taking energy to rebuild your muscles, your body is losing calories. It could take up to 48 hours for your body to rebuild your muscle, so it means that you'll be losing calories for about 2 days after lifting weights (aka, faster weight loss).

Also, do NOT go on crazy crash diets since they don't work. Instead, eat frequent, smaller meals (read the serving amounts on the packages). Your plate should be about: 1/2 vegetables or fruit, 1/4 meat, and 1/4 carbs (according to Weight Watchers). Also, if you're hungry, drink a glass of water, it could just be thirst. If you're still feeling hungry after that, eat something like an apple or banana.

You shouldn't lose more than 1-2 pounds a week on average. If you lose more than that, you'll need to speak with your doctor. With that being said, it is common to lose more than 2 pounds within your first 2 weeks because you're body isn't used to the smaller meals or increased exercise.

To give you some info about me, I started out at 164 with 32% body fat (at the time, my body fat percentage was on a high-normal for girls). In the 8 weeks I started lifting weights and was on Weight Watchers, I lost 9.7 pounds. I'll know my current body fat percentage on Friday.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to PM me.

Good Luck!!

Last edited by Eerie Butterfly : 02-20-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Eerie Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
Kaliza

I would suggest trying to stick to a healthy amount, and healthy foods. The amount can depend on how much exercise you get and how much weight you want to lose so I would suggest you find a website you like that will help you figure out this info. Websites like Sparkpeople or myfitnesspal for example, you tell it your age, height, weight, how much exercise you do and etc and it will tell you how many calories, fat, protein, and other nutrients you should eat in a day and allow you to input what you eat each day and how much you exercise, to make sure you are staying within a healthy range. Sparkpeople will also give you meal ideas if you want. I think the mypyramid site also has these types of trackers and info as well as other sites, so if you find you don't like the first ie you try, you can try a different one.
Kaliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
Somsai
Guyver 01

Holy shit. You gained that much?! Whatever it is you're doing I'm SURE you know what is the problem. O_O

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
Somsai
Guyver 01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Butterfly View Post
I've been going to this http://www.muscleandstrength.com/ website for months to help me lose weight. It gives you advice for weight loss, muscle gain, diet examples, and much more.

The fastest way of losing fat is by lifting weights (more than 10 lbs preferably). I promise that you will not get bulky (unless you're male or on steroids) because females lack the testosterone to get bulky (Google it if you don't believe me). I also promise, if you're a teenager, you will not have your height stunted; that's a myth.

Cardio alone will take a bit longer to show results because you only lose the calories while you're doing cardio. When you lift weights, your muscles are being torn and your body rebuilds them. Since it's taking energy to rebuild your muscles, your body is losing calories. It could take up to 48 hours for your body to rebuild your muscle, so it means that you'll be losing calories for about 2 days after lifting weights (aka, faster weight loss).

Also, do NOT go on crazy crash diets since they don't work. Instead, eat frequent, smaller meals (read the serving amounts on the packages). Your plate should be about: 1/2 vegetables or fruit, 1/4 meat, and 1/4 carbs (according to Weight Watchers). Also, if you're hungry, drink a glass of water, it could just be thirst. If you're still feeling hungry after that, eat something like an apple or banana.

You shouldn't lose more than 1-2 pounds a week on average. If you lose more than that, you'll need to speak with your doctor. With that being said, it is common to lose more than 2 pounds within your first 2 weeks because you're body isn't used to the smaller meals or increased exercise.

To give you some info about me, I started out at 164 with 32% body fat (at the time, my body fat percentage was on a high-normal for girls). In the 8 weeks I started lifting weights and was on Weight Watchers, I lost 9.7 pounds. I'll know my current body fat percentage on Friday.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to PM me.

Good Luck!!
Btw I love that site. I always suggest it to people.

Finished:
- Ikki Minami (Air Gear)
- Kaname Kuran (Vampire Knight)
- Guy (Street Fighters/Final Fight)
Somsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #14
Asezuna

You eat HOW much calories? Dear, if you eat only 300 calories, don't be surprised if your body starts to panic and saves up what it can when you decide on having a "let's eat what we can" day. No wonder that it'll lead to this rapid gaining of weight. O.o
So yes - you have to eat. Every day. At least three times. You might gain even more, but as soon as your body realises that "hey, I'm getting food regularly now" more than probably it'll stop. (But it migth take some time.)
Plus, exercise. As far as I know, muscle weighs more than fat, but takes up less place - so difference between two bodies of the same weight can be huge.
".... Not much of a threat, considering we're already in Hel."
Asezuna is offline   Reply With Quote