Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Closed Thread
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #136
LoliLovely
They Can't Fire Me I Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
Then I'm Madea coming to beat the asses of all the unruly teens.....

Oh my god you are.

Btw, this thread was awful to begin with, and still is. GET IT LOCKED.

Unread 06-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #137
Amanita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokmunki View Post
Ok, here's to the actual topic of the thread...

1. Most of the time, the cosplayer is trying to be more sexy than accurate, which just bugs me. Or even with things like a pokemon or mlp, they aim to be sexy and not for the characters actual "style" and personality.

These are my opinions. If you don't agree, then don't reply. Get me in an argument, and you'll be sorry.
On the first point, I've said something similar- my beef is when people sexualize characters or costumes that weren't meant to be sexy, and do so even when it's completely contrary to the character's personality or function. Like lingerie clad female Boba Fett. Or an Ironman costume that leaves the legs exposed, which would be a really bad idea for a suit that's supposed to protect you. But those gripes of mine are about the costumes themselves, not the people in them.

However, your ending is rather unrealistic. People aren't going to react well to statements like that- Of course they're going to reply if they disagree- internet forums are for exchange of ideas, after all. About the only way you'll get what you're asking for- to say what you want without any challenge or dissenting voices, would be to post it on your own blog and disable comments. And your last line "Get me in an argument and you'll be sorry" -is there really a need to be so hostile? Your post would have been better if you had just left off those last two lines. Without them, you were simply stating an opinion. But with them, it makes it sound like you're spoiling for a fight.
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #138
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
However, your ending is rather unrealistic. People aren't going to react well to statements like that- Of course they're going to reply if they disagree- internet forums are for exchange of ideas, after all. About the only way you'll get what you're asking for- to say what you want without any challenge or dissenting voices, would be to post it on your own blog and disable comments. And your last line "Get me in an argument and you'll be sorry" -is there really a need to be so hostile? Your post would have been better if you had just left off those last two lines. Without them, you were simply stating an opinion. But with them, it makes it sound like you're spoiling for a fight.
Adding to your point, if you don't want people responding to your opinions then maybe you should be keeping those opinions to yourself. If you feel such a need to write those things down, start a personal journal. Even a blog with disabled comments is likely going to get responses, it will just be happening somewhere else.

Tokyo in Tulsa: Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - fem!Haru Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - fem!France (Hetalia)
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #139
Amanita

Or would be commentators might find the writer's email address and have their say there..
Either way, if you don't want any dissent or feedback, it's best to keep it to yourself.
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #140
MidnightMinx90

I don't have a problem with skimpy outfits (I've cosplayed a Witch from L4D, albeit with a pair of tights and my next cosplay is Nocturnal).
Luckily we don't have a problem here in Norway (at least as far as I know) with guys talking down to us girls, claiming we haven't watched/read/played whatever, and creepers.

What my problem about this whole thing is, however, is the fact that most female game characters are dressed in skimpy outfits, therefor giving us cosplayers basically no choice when we want to cosplay said character.
It's not like every girl or boy of any colour ans bodyshape WANTS to dress up in skimpy outfits, but because that is the only outfit the character wears, we are left without a choice.

Made: Nocturnal and Night Mother from Skyrim ~ Malik al-Sayf and Leonardo da Vinci from Assassin's Creed ~ Morghann from The Black Jewels ~ Witch from Left 4 Dead
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #141
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

As long as it's not nude, I'm fine with it.

But one thing I do have a problem with is 'slutifying' characters that just don't make sense to dress like that. I mean come on, skimpy Pikachus? Skimpy versions of Assassins Creed characters? Those make no sense and sorta give ammo to the whole "girls only cosplay for male attention" stereotype.

Cosplaying Yoko or BRS or something is fine, that's their design. I want to cosplay BRS some day too. But 'slutifying' characters that don't make sense is just cheap and I won't lie and say I don't have a problem with it.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
Unread 06-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #142
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
If you don't want to be called a troll/stupid, don't be a stupid troll.
I don't know why but I can't stop laughing..hahahaha. This line wins the internet.

On topic,

It doesn't bother me when people cosplay characters who are less modestly dressed; if that is what the actual character wears or fits that character.

The problem is you're not going to get much cred. or respect from the cosplaying community if you take out the accuracy (along with the clothing). Though if all you want is to have fun..then it's your body and choice, no one can stop you just don't expect many people to praise you for it.

Last edited by mokulen22 : 06-13-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #143
Shirayuki~Chan

It doesn't bother me either way, because they chose to cosplay that character, and who am I to judge them. I don't want anyone to judge me for the characters I cosplay, so I wont judge anyone else.

Cosplays:
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones
Blackfire- Teen Titans
Tharja- Fire Emblem: Awakening

Unread 06-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #144
Sokmunki
Snow Guardian

Quote:
Adding to your point, if you don't want people responding to your opinions then maybe you should be keeping those opinions to yourself. If you feel such a need to write those things down, start a personal journal. Even a blog with disabled comments is likely going to get responses, it will just be happening somewhere else.
i just wanted to share my opinion, and not have, well, this happen. my opinion is my opinion, and it doesn't matter weather or not people agree with it. I've been waiting to say these, because it bugs me. also, as to the end of my post, i was in a bad mood, just getting out of an argument with a friend of mine. i didn't feel like i wanted to argue at that point. if you don't know what's going on on the other side of the screen, don't be so quick to judge

Complete:

Tintin
Belphagor from KHR
11th and 10th doctors
Amy Pond
Merida
Jack Frost
Sherlock (BBC)
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #145
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
i just wanted to share my opinion, and not have, well, this happen. my opinion is my opinion, and it doesn't matter weather or not people agree with it. I've been waiting to say these, because it bugs me. also, as to the end of my post, i was in a bad mood, just getting out of an argument with a friend of mine. i didn't feel like i wanted to argue at that point. if you don't know what's going on on the other side of the screen, don't be so quick to judge
Again, if you don't want people to respond, don't post it on the internet. It's plain common sense.

It's ironic you're telling me not to judge since you're whole post was judgmental of people who do skimpy cosplays. It's one thing to dislike a cosplay but it's another when you start making snap judgments about the cosplayer.

Tokyo in Tulsa: Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - fem!Haru Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - fem!France (Hetalia)

Last edited by Shana05 : 06-13-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #146
Sokmunki
Snow Guardian

Quote:
Again, if you don't want people to respond, don't post it on the internet. It's plain common sense.
apparently you have no common sense though. it's not fair to be so quick to judge people when you have no idea what's going no for them. it's not that i didn't want responses, its just that at the time, i was very upset and didn't want any arguments! at that point, there isn't much you can do about the "common sense" (stupid point, btw. i was sharing my opinion. people don't have to respond. seriously. cool down.). i think you're just looking for a fight. i wasn't looking for one, but oh! you dragged me into it! and dont say i had a choice... i may have had one, but it wasn't easy because you attacked me.

Complete:

Tintin
Belphagor from KHR
11th and 10th doctors
Amy Pond
Merida
Jack Frost
Sherlock (BBC)
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #147
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
apparently you have no common sense though. it's not fair to be so quick to judge people when you have no idea what's going no for them. it's not that i didn't want responses, its just that at the time, i was very upset and didn't want any arguments! at that point, there isn't much you can do about the "common sense" (stupid point, btw. i was sharing my opinion. people don't have to respond. seriously. cool down.). i think you're just looking for a fight. i wasn't looking for one, but oh! you dragged me into it! and dont say i had a choice... i may have had one, but it wasn't easy because you attacked me.
Please show me where I attacked you. If you didn't want to an argument, DON'T POST. It's not a hard concept and I'm not the only one who told you that. I don't care why you didn't want an argument.

Seriously, if you think your opinion is going to start a fight (which it's clear from the start you did think that) that's a clue that maybe you should keep those thoughts to yourself. Get a journal if you want to write them down so bad. It was bound that post was going to get a response as it was full of victim blaming.

And you did have a choice, you had several. You didn't have to post here in the first place, you didn't have to respond to anyone's posts here, you didn't have to even read them. And here's we go with more snap judgments by saying I'm just looking for a fight.

MOD: It's really time to lock this thread.

Last edited by Shana05 : 06-13-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #148
Sokmunki
Snow Guardian

Quote:
Please show me where I attacked you. If you didn't want to an argument, DON'T POST. It's not a hard concept and I'm not the only one who told you that. I don't care why you didn't want an argument.

Seriously, if you think your opinion is going to start a fight (which it's clear from the start you did think that) that's a clue that maybe you should keep those thoughts to yourself. Get a journal if you want to write them down so bad. It was bound that post was going to get a response as it was full of victim blaming.

And you did have a choice, you had several. You didn't have to post here in the first place, you didn't have to respond to anyone's posts here, you didn't have to even read them. And here's we go with more snap judgments by saying I'm just looking for a fight.

MOD: It's really time to lock this thread.

before it's locked let me say this:

you replied right off the bat with insults. i wont get a journal. i posted this so that people could see that some people have actual reasons not to approve of skimpy cosplays.
and im not judging actual people, just the skimpy cosplays in general. and it's not judging, really, just saying what i feel is right. i dont look down of them, more like i listen to people around me and also to myself who say that its just not right. and in case you didn't know this, I've seen in multiple threads you just like to spark things up a bit more in arguments.
again, MY opinions. you don't have to take them seriously, im just speaking my mind. everyone has a right to do that in moderation. im not trying to be mean or anything, just speaking my mind.

Complete:

Tintin
Belphagor from KHR
11th and 10th doctors
Amy Pond
Merida
Jack Frost
Sherlock (BBC)
Unread 06-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #149
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Where are these insults? If you can't show me where I made them, then clearly you are making that part up.

And sorry, I'm not "trying to spark things up" I'm calling people out. Your post was full of victim blaming, so I called it out. I also have a problem with people who tell others not to reply to their posts, instead of doing the sensible thing, not posting in the first place.

Unread 06-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #150
Amanita

^Heck yeah. I get being in a bad mood and not wanting to get into any more fights, but perhaps that's a good reason to hold off on posting- wait till you're calmer and in a better mood. You tend to write differently then.
Closed Thread