Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Marketplace > Archived Marketplace Forums > Commissions for Hire

Unread 08-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Fate/COSPLAY Commissions

SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY!

PLEASE EMAIL ME FOR A QUOTE (I will not respond PM's)
fate.cosplay@gmail.com

COMMISSION REQUEST FORM:
DEADLINE:
Character:
Series:
PLEASE ATTACH/LINK REFERENCE IMAGES:

MEASUREMENTS (US measurements):
*Height
*Weight
*Bust/bra size if you're female
*Waist
*Hips
*Sleeve
*Leg/pant length
*Shoulder to shoulder

WHAT DO YOU NEED?
Please specify what you need. Do you need just the outfit/ do you need a wig/ Do you need jewelry and accessories? Do you need a prop or weapon? Shoes/shoe cover? Etc.

Payment method:
POSTAL/ZIP CODE/LOCATION:

Hello!

I am available to make cosplay costumes, accessories and wigs! Whether it's simple or complex, I am here to help. I am a commissioner and I hand make pieces to custom fit YOUR measurements and wants/needs - specifications. I've been cosplaying and sewing since 2003. I am self taught but I have taken some classes at FIDM and AIP. I've also worked in costuming with Disney (with costumes not in them) so I've spent a lot of time studying Disney costumes and construction while I fit people into costumes and make small alterations. I choose high quality fabric, but will go with lower quality/lower costing fabric (low being $3.99 at the lowest; high quality fabric starts at $10/yard) - if you are on a budget.

I am not some Asian-based company or sweatshop worker (my prices will never match), I am one person. I charge $10-15/hour (most tailors and seamstresses charge $25+, and not all of them have the experience needed for the various structures and details required in a lot of cosplay/costume designs) and require a MINIMUM of 15 hours per full costume project - so if your budget is less than $200 (especially for a high quality screen accurate movie costume), please do not contact me.

My time is broken down by the following:
*Drafting a pattern to your measurements
*Cutting out the fabric according to the pattern
*Sewing
*Making sure it fits on the dress form
*Serging and finalizing hems/seams
*Making adjustments as necessary
*Detailing: i.e. beading, embroidering, painting, etc
*Adding zippers, buttons, snaps, velcro, etc
*Sculpting forms if necessary
-Making molds for said forms
-Casting final forms in resin

My quotes are itemized. It covers fabric and all other materials needed for a project:
*Fabric
*Thread
*Notions: buttons, zippers, trim, lace, bias tape, etc
*Detailing materials: paint, embroidery thread, rhinestones, studs, beads d and o rings, belt buckles, etc
*Accessory materials: resin, silicone molding, molds, paints, glue, screws, etc.

Wigs:

Base wig prices as follows on Arda (excluding shipping):
Short: $30
Medium: $35-38
Long: $40-65
Specialty wigs: vary
Short wefts: $9
Long wefts: $15
Clip in pony tails: $15/each

Other
Styling products: vary
Dying products: vary

My fees (excluding shipping):
Simple styles (cuts, curls, waves): $25
Spiky styles: $50
Gravity defying styles, Up dos, ponytails, etc: starting at $75
Custom dying: varies on length and how many colors used, etc

I prefer paypal but will accept personal checks and money orders and require a 50% deposit. If you need a payment plan, don't hesitate to ask. I do not offer refunds once a project has been started on because I've already bought materials and put time into it. Should for some reason, I miss your deadline (and I'd be terrified and stressed if I did but alas, life is full of unexpected events), you will not be charged the full amount.

Communication is very important to me as it should be for you. I try my best to send emails and give updates and sometimes, I even give out my number (no calls please) in order to text my clients while I am shopping for supplies or send picture updates. If I contact you, I expect you to contact me back, even if you've already found someone else.

Schedule and Availability:
August: FULL
September: FULL
October: Limited - after the 15th
November: Limited - middle of and end of the month
December: Limited - beginning and end of the month
January: OPEN
February: Limited - after the 15th

Here are some examples of my work, just click on the thumbnails!

For more, visit my facebook (link in signature). There you'll find progress pictures of current projects as well as completed works and reviews.

Last edited by Mykaios : 08-26-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Unread 08-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Happy Clams!

-Campo review
-PK.love review
-Riki65 (review coming soon)

While, I'm sure all of the below are absolutely wonderful people, I've finally felt that this was a must... And if you are listed and for some reason are angry that you're listed, please just drop me a friendly note rather than flame up my thread. You have your reasons for not replying or canceling, and I have my reasons to list you where I list you.

Silent Lambs (people who've disappeared in the middle of discussing details or never reply after quotes - or who are probably busy - who knows):
-NinjaNeko54
-cyanidesun797
-ArexKazz
-NavigatorxNami
-HCMystK
-maggietron
-Kayu-sama
-brilikesmoose

Flakes (people who have CONFIRMED and CANCELED)
-kkroxas2011
-SasoriCereal
-Illinafli (confirmed/canceled twice - is also a BLACKLISTED wig commissioner. Both buyers and sellers beware)
-GamerStar

Last edited by Mykaios : 08-26-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Unread 08-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: What can you make/commission?
A: Costumes, wings, wigs, armor, props and accessories - just about anything as long as it doesn't require a wood or metal shop (therefore I can't work with wood or metal unless it's precut) . If there is something I can't do, I will suggest other commissioners.

Q: How do you calculate your quotes/prices?
A: 90% of the time, I give you an itemized list with links for price references, that covers every yard 9therefore I need your measurements first and foremost), button, spool of thread and what not that will be going into a project. Labor charges are also listed. Sometimes, depending on cosplay trends, a project has already been broken down for a previous quote, so I can just copy and paste it over, otherwise I'll make any adjustments if necessary. And sometimes, if a project is similar to something else, such as Disney Princess gowns then I can give a rough estimate based one a previous breakdown.

Q: How much do you charge for costume commissions?
A: $10/hour normal fabric, $15 if pvc/pleather/vinyl and spandex is used - PLUS material and shipping costs.

Q: Why is there a 15 hour labor minimum?
A: Because, everything takes time. A LOT of time. It all adds up when I'm doing the following:
*Drafting a pattern to your measurements
*Cutting out the fabric according to the pattern
*Sewing
*Making sure it fits on the dress form
*Serging and finalizing hems/seams
*Making adjustments as necessary
*Detailing: i.e. beading, embroidering, painting, etc
*Adding zippers, buttons, snaps, velcro, etc
*Sculpting forms if necessary
-Making molds for said forms
-Casting final forms in resin

However, if you are not ordering a full costume, that 15 hour minimum *may* be cut in half.

Q: How much do you charge for wig commissions?
A: Simple styles (cuts, curls, waves): $25
Spiky styles: $50
Gravity defying styles, Up dos, ponytails, etc: starting at $75
Custom dying: varies on length and how many colors used, etc
PLUS material costs and shipping.

Q: What if I am on a budget?
A: I try my very, very best when working with budgets. The lowest costing, plain colored, cotton fabric that I use is $3.99/yard. I even try to make cuts in my own labor costs to help you. However, if your budget for a full costume is less than $200, there isn't much I can do, eve with cutting my labor costs.

Q: How long will it take?
A: My schedule is mased on deadlines and event dates. It does not entirely go by order of payment. I am typically booked at least a month or more in advanced. You are considered booked when the first payment has been received.

Q: Once an item has been shipped out, how long will it take?
A. In the U.S. I use Priority Mail with delivery confirmation and it takes 2-3 days. International shipping varies, but shouldn't take longer than 2 weeks.

Q: How much is shipping?
A: US Priority mail flat rates start at $5.35 (smallest box, usually used for jewelry or small accessories) and go up to $15.45 (largest offered box can fit a neatly folded commission provided that it doesn't have a ton of armor or isn't a giant princess gown). If a larger box is needed then weight goes into factor. International shipping varies.

Q: What forms of payment do you accept?
A: I accept paypal, personal checks and money orders. I absolutely prefer paypal because I have their debit card and keep your funds separated from my own personal funds. Not to mention it's quick and easier to shop with rather than having to deposit a check or money order, wait for it to clear, then transfer it to my paypal account and wait for it to clear again... If you are paying by paypal, I have no problems with accepting payments as "for goods/services" however a few extra dollars will be added on to cover the fees.

Q: Can you give me the sale price of the fabric under material costs?
A: No, sorry. The reason is sales are ALWAYS changing. Not to mention, I don't know if or when someone is committed to to their commission until a payment has been received, which very well could be received after a sale.

Q: Can you use x fabric instead?
A: I am more than happy to discuss other fabric options with you. If you didn't want something shiny, then we'll look for a matte fabric. If you wanted a stretchy fabric, then we'll look up fabric options for that.

Last edited by Mykaios : 08-26-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Unread 08-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Blah! We've been moving into a new house since Sunday and I had to add a tethering service to my cell phone plan just to catch up on messages and update my schedule. Thanks to everyone for their patience!
Unread 08-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Updates coming soon!
Unread 08-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

New picture added in OP