Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > DC Universe

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
JenniferO

My Adam Hughes Catwoman outfit

Hi guys! I hope I am posting this in the right forum. My name is Jennifer and I'm a huge fan or Marvel and DC Comics. I just recently found an interest in cosplay and I'm currently working on my first outfit. It was a pretty easy choice really, Catwoman has always been my favourite character! I love Adam Hughes artwork so my outfit will be based on his work and the "statue of AH!". It will not be perfect by any means, I'm more aming for "similar looking" really. Anyways, so far I have made the goggles, gloves and boots. I'm also working on the belt and have ordered a bullwhip and whipholder. A latex catsuit and hood is also in the making.

After countless hours or browsing the web I found some sunglasses large enough for the job. They started out as regular sunglasses so I had to sculpt on top of them and add a strap. The strap is an adjustable rubber strap from a pair of diving googles. The "ears" I made from a couple of plastic poker chips which I cut and grinded and superglued on. Then I painted the glasses with black nailpolish and bent them a bit in the middle, by heating them with a lighter, as they were a bit too wide to fit my face.

For the gloves, I used a pair of leather gloves and some steel claw rings. I attached the claw rings from the inside so that I can't drop them. I wanted strong claws that actually works which is why I decided to go with this option, even though they do not look as in Adam Hughes artwork. If I change my mind I figured I always have the option to grind off the rhine stones and paint the claws black, but I kindah like the look of them. The claw rings has lots of support on the finger so as long as you curl your hand a bit you can hit something really hard without hurting yourself.

For the boots I actually used two pair. I used a pair of military boots as a base and then cut and superglued part of a pair of winter boots on top. Then I added some straps, buckles and some other details to make them resemble the "statue of AH!".

Last edited by JenniferO : 02-26-2014 at 03:10 AM.
JenniferO is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
JenniferO

I hope you like what I've made so far! I will take some photos of the belt when it's finished and photos of me wearing the whole outfit as soon as my catsuit and hood is finished. Now I just have to get a Batman suit for my hubby so we can attend some cosplay events. I can't wait!

Here are some reference photos of the "statue of AH!"...

Unread 12-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
JenniferO

...and of Adam Hughes artwork

Unread 12-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
JenniferO

I haven't even finished the outfit yet and already I'm feeling a little naughty. I just couldn't resist to sharpen my claws.

Unread 12-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
Gee2

Looks like you're off to a great start!
As to getting it "perfect"; as costumers I believe we would all like to be, however there are some instances where it's just not possible. Sometimes it's the costumer not going the extra mile, sometimes it's a matter of trying to match a 2 dimensional drawing that's impossible in the "real" world, and sometimes it's a combination of both of these issues. As long as you are working towards making each costume the best it can be, you're on the right track.
Gee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
JenniferO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee2 View Post
Looks like you're off to a great start!
As to getting it "perfect"; as costumers I believe we would all like to be, however there are some instances where it's just not possible. Sometimes it's the costumer not going the extra mile, sometimes it's a matter of trying to match a 2 dimensional drawing that's impossible in the "real" world, and sometimes it's a combination of both of these issues. As long as you are working towards making each costume the best it can be, you're on the right track.

Thanks! Yes, I figured as much. I'm not as skinny as I used to be so I will be using a corset, although there shouldn't be one in this outfit. Artistic licence? I could always wear it underneith the catsuit I suppose...

I have finished the latex catsuit now. I took some photos of it but they are very bad unfortunately. They came out way too dark so I had to apply alot of contrast in order for you to see the latex shine. I will take some better photos when I'm back from my holiday, but here are the bad ones for now. In these photos I didn't close the corset fully as I was just trying on the catsuit really. It will look much better when it is completely closed. Since taking these photos I have attached a large chrome ring to the front zipper and started working on the hood, but tomorrow I'm leaving on vacation so I will not have any new photos until January. Btw, I didn't even brush my hair for these photos so I just cut away my head! *LOL*

Unread 12-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
Kagomekai

I wonder if you'd ever consider commissioning the goggles one day, they are spectacular ~
Gajinka Gatomon (humanoid)
Ymir from SNK
Kagomekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
Gee2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferO View Post
I have finished the latex catsuit now. I took some photos of it but they are very bad unfortunately. They came out way too dark so I had to apply alot of contrast in order for you to see the latex shine. I will take some better photos when I'm back from my holiday, but here are the bad ones for now.

A couple thoughts on getting the "sheen" you're looking for from the latex. Try a muted neutral background color (gray or light purple) with a constant light/flash or if you can get a photographer reflector that will concentrate the lighting on you. Either way the suit looks like it's coming along great!
Gee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
switchandrogyny

Love those goggles!
switchandrogyny is offline   Reply With Quote