Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-13-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
DerpNinja

New 52 Poison Ivy

Sooo, this will be my first cosplay costume. I'm planning on going to the 2013 San Diego Comic Con. I've one or two more costume ideas, but I wanted to finish this one first.

I fell in love with the new Poison Ivy look, and it looked simple enough to give it a go. The base is a flat-black lycra suit I bought off the interwebz. All the leaves are either plastic or fabric ivy that I cut off of fake branches. I just got a whole bunch from Michaels, very cheap, a lot of different styles and sizes.

At the moment, I'm just hot-gluing all the leaves to the suit. It's a little time-consuming, and since I don't have a maniquin, I have to wear it while I glue them on. A couple YEOUCH moments and I've worked out a system that is only slightly uncomfortable. So far, hot-glue is working well. The leaves and suit hold together well, even when handled a little less than carefully.

I attached the picture, and if that works out I'll post some more a little later. If it doesn't, this is the URL to view it: http://www.therpf.com/members/derpni...m-happy-so.png

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ivy costume.jpg (81.4 KB, 0 views)
DerpNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
MsMolly

You just reminded me of something I'd forgotten from a few years back. I was working as a creepy little girl in a haunted house and the other actors knew I could sew. Our shift ghoul was going as poison ivy and had no clue how to go about it, so I just told her to bring me the skimpiest thing she felt comfortable wearing.
Fast forward two weeks and I'm using all my downtime in between scaring little kids to hand sew fake leaves onto a black bra and panty set. Ha, I really had forgotten about that.

Oh, and the point of this is OH GAWD WHY YOU GLUE TO YOURSELF?! Try hand sewing! It'll just be a matter of pinching the fabric with the leaf on top and just whippin' it around a bit for a good hold. Or if you're not good at sewing, try fabric glues. There are actually some types developed to take the place of sewing and produce a good fusion.
Pleeease don't yourself anymore, it makes me so sad! :C
MsMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
Penlowe

Hot glue will not last long enough to get you through a con, it'll peel off the leaves fairly easily.
Unread 10-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
joshiemae
Amazonian Princess

Handsewing is more tedious, but would definitely be more durable. You could also consider using velcro strips and building it up that way. Just another idea.
joshiemae is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
DerpNinja

Thanks guys! I'm glad I've got a while before the Con... gona give hand sewing a go.
DerpNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
Poki_Toshi

Instead of wearing the pants while putting the leaves on, why not stuff a pair of jeans with some fiber fill or other clothes and then put the lycra suit over them and hot glue or sew the leaves to the suit? Just a thought.
Upcoming cons: Momocon, Dragoncon, AWA
Poki_Toshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
heatherW

I'd suggest the same thing as above. I've burnt many limbs glueing things on only to have them peel off at a con. So I found the best way to to take strong tailors thread, stuff the pants with paper and sew stuff on where I want them. So no more burning yourself! :3

I think you'll make an awesome poison ivy, and best of luck!
heatherW is offline   Reply With Quote