Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
Silantre
Cosplayer of things

Dishonored - Corvo's Folding Sword

Hey there guys and gals, I'm having real trouble with a sword prop.
This below is what I'm trying to make:
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ord_design.jpg

Easy right?,,,, no XP

The blade fits into the handle, through what ever mechanism, notice the angled line down the blade,, that is where it collapses to be able to fit in the handle.

I want to be able to flip it, or press a button and the blade pops out.
I've tried everything I can think of from springs to hinges and pivots but nothing seems to work.

Here is a video at about 2:15 he starts unfolding the blade,,, but it fades to black so you can't see how it works D=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XbQg...Fn%3D170497616

If anyone has any ideas,, or any other pictures or information of how this sword might be physically possible please get in contact with me, many thanks

Silantre

Last edited by Silantre : 08-05-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Silantre is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-06-2012, 04:17 AM   #2
Penlowe

It looks like it's based on this, but bigger: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balisong_%28knife%29
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #3
Silantre
Cosplayer of things

Someone mentioned that, and that's a really good link showing how it properly works thank you ^^
All I need now is to get the end tip of the sword to stay out
Unread 08-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

I was thinking something like a switchblade.
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
jdp898989

From the video, it looks like it would be EXTREMELY difficult to make it open exactly like the game.
Now, if you do want to have it so the blade sort of swings open like that, you will need to make the blade in a couple pieces, and offset the weight at the ends of each part. Hopefully that makes sense.

If you just wanted to have it spring open, that switchblade idea or butterfly knife (I think those are the names) like DarkCloud and Penlowe mentioned look pretty promising.

If you want more help, ask here or PM me, and I'll see what I can do.
jdp898989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
Silantre
Cosplayer of things

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp898989 View Post
From the video, it looks like it would be EXTREMELY difficult to make it open exactly like the game.
Now, if you do want to have it so the blade sort of swings open like that, you will need to make the blade in a couple pieces, and offset the weight at the ends of each part. Hopefully that makes sense.

If you just wanted to have it spring open, that switchblade idea or butterfly knife (I think those are the names) like DarkCloud and Penlowe mentioned look pretty promising.

If you want more help, ask here or PM me, and I'll see what I can do.
Apparently it is a switch blade, the part that swings open making it look like a butterfly knife is just the mechanism that holds the blade parts.

This means that it would be a spring mechanism rather then a swing, or hinge *facepalm* which doesn't make life easy.

By your idea of the weights.... he blade is split into 2 sections so it fits in the handle,, If I make the bottom section act just like a switch blade,,, then weight the tip section, do you think the momentum of the bottom part moving out could potentially be enough to push the tip out?

Would you happen to know somewhere that sells metal sheets that i could try and make the blade from. Wood makes the blade too thick.
Unread 08-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
Penlowe

woah, most cons prohibit metal weapons, how about plastic sheeting instead?
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
animenerd93
Neko Neko Chi CHi

ur gonna have to stick to plastic sheets, every con i know of forbid metal on a prop like that. it can also be done out of craft foam, and this is what i made my izaya swtichblade with
RapMonster- BTS N.O
fem!Ravi- VIXX Hyde
Hyuk- VIXX Voodoo Doll
animenerd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #9
puddingpet

You could try making the blade into a collapsible cane. I'm on my phone so I can't link a picture, the elastic keeps tension when you swing the cane out. And you can add seats for the parts so they look more seamless.
puddingpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Here's another video of the blade action in, well... action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adKx9f9bRGQ

Stick with acrylic sheets for the blade, you can find them at most home improvement/craft stores, and check with your convention if you really want to make the sword spring loaded. Many have rules against things like that, would be a shame to go through the trouble of making a functioning version and then not be allowed to carry it due to neglecting to check policy ahead of time.

At 57 seconds you can see that the tip segment of the blade slides inside of the base segment. What this means is that you're going to be making a two part slide. The base blade segment can be made to move like a standard out the front switch blade, however the structure of the base would need to be hollow so the tip segment can slide out. The same concept as the toy lightsabers that can be swung open.
To keep the tip from sliding back inside the base you can cut channels inside the base segments and add pegs to the sides of the tip segment so that it slides into an offset in the channel and locks. Another option would be to sand in a taper to the inside of your base segment so that it would 'lock' through friction. Still another option would be to incorporate a second spring that would push out and hold the tip section in the extended position; problem with this is that you have to also incorporate another locking mechanism to keep the tip segment from always popping out.

Only problem you'll have is that there will be a noticeable difference in the thickness of the blade.

The collapsible cane idea is another option, the only thing I'd worry about here is how the blade would orient its self upon release. With the cylindrical cane you don't have to worry about how it pulls the next segment, the blade needs to set a certain way so that the edges line up.
2DLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
puddingpet

I was thinking using the corners as notches. Like taking a bit of the bottom blade's top corners off where it attaches to the to blade and making little legs on the bottom of the small blade to go into the notches. and I was thinking in my head have a pipe inside if the blade is a softer material and put seats in it so they flip out straight and elastic won't crush the blade.
puddingpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #12
GajolRidderen

Lightbulb Ammnra

There is a guy called Ammnra. He makes a lot of cool props including Corvo's sword. Check it out: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mkl0SYGAGDg
GajolRidderen is offline   Reply With Quote