Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime LA

Unread 09-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
g00dapple

ALA- Pros? Cons?

I'm thinking about going to ALA this year, but I can't really find too much about it. I know it's a smaller con, but can someone tell me some stuff you like/dislike about it, so I can make a decision? Thanks ^^

2014 convention list we will be photographing coming soon!
g00dapple is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Freight
Rolling 20's Podcast Host

It's a smaller convention, but a good place to hang out and network with other fans.

There's a lot of things going on including AMV screening rooms, a few video rooms, live musical performances, Dealer's Hall, and Artist's Alley.

Honestly, it offers this very odd fun vibe that was very much enjoyed by someone from Otakon who came by. They called it the most fun they had at a convention last year.

I'd say it can be summed out by the phrase "hang out convention," but it's very lively. And I'm speaking as a staffer, but it's even fun working there.
Freight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
sarg3_5laught3r

^this.

One of the big things for me is that lots of people frequent ALA, and the smaller crowd allows more personal interactions between fans. I made tons of friends over the past 3 years I have gone, and it is always nice seeing them again, since that is the only time we really get to meet up and spend time together.

Also, because it is more lax than say AX or Comic Con, the fans have more say in things, like all of the cosplay gathering threads you see. I'm trying to petition a Struggle Tournament, myself. Most other cons would have fan-made events on a wait-list a mile and half long, but ALA is different just because it is so laid back. It is one of the only cons I go to and not feel stressed.

Captain Jack Harkness: 5%
Booker Dweitt: 5%
sarg3_5laught3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
Portal Jumper

Personally, this is my favorite convention to attend, even more so than AX, or SDCC, or AM2, among others. It is so lax, but I always have plenty to do. It's really cozy and fun, and more 'intimate', if that's the right word?
There are lots of great environments for photo shoots, lots of activities, and if there isn't an activity for you then there is plenty of opportunity to make one! It is such a fun convention, the perfect way to start the new year.
Portal Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
Access

Best con all year, I know a lot of people who look forward to ALA the most out of all the local cons.

For me this has been the most consistent convention out there, you know exactly what you are going to get and it has always delivered. It seems to be run very effectively, and with an emphasis on service; they have so many staff (all volunteer) that I've never had to wait in line very long for badge pickup or anything else.

Honestly the only downside is that the site is pretty much at capacity, if you are going to go, be sure to pre-register, and book the hotel room earlier rather than later.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Hanagumori
Reckless Driving Cucumber

I love ALA out of any cons I go to. The only thing I dislike about it is that the pool-deck gets extremely crowded on Saturdays but other than that, it's the best.
Hanagumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
g00dapple

Awesome! Thanks everyone I would be coming down from Seattle, so I just wanted to make sure it was worth it. Looks like I'm going :P

2014 convention list we will be photographing coming soon!

Last edited by g00dapple : 09-11-2012 at 12:22 AM.
g00dapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #8
vgc

Oh hey! I'm in Seattle too! I wanted to experiment with a couple of California cons this year and I must say ALA was a blast! It had some fun events (ARRRRR!!! PIRATES!!!!) and I met some really awesome people that I still keep in touch with. It's small, but I'll definitely be going again in 2013!
vgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2012, 02:38 AM   #9
NaomiHime
enjaneered

Well, from the two times that I've gone, I personally think it's a convention you should go to! It's really comfy-cozy at ALA, which is what a lot of us really like. But in short, it's just a mini version of your average Anime Expo or Sakura Con or any kind of large con out there placed inside an great hotel. From my expirience, I haven't come across any negative stuff from the con-goers. But over at ALA, it tends to be REALLY crowded except when the masquerade is in session. I recommend that if you plan to attend any avents, you should start heading there fifteen minutes before-hand. I mean, you can head somewhere in even less time than that, but it really depends where you are. For example, if you were to head to, say, the Pool Deck from the Dealers Hall, you should leave early. The Marriott - the hotel it's at - is fairly larger, but when it's crowded you'll get held up.
But aside from that, the convention-goers and staff there are really nice and friendly, so you won't need to worry. There are people ready to answer your questions, whatever it may be. Just apply the same principles fit for all convention survival and you're good to go!