Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime USA

Unread 10-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #46
Kimmu
silly pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Buy or afford. COMICS ART IS NOT CHEAP, I KNOW!

In terms of art swags, I paid Ryan Ottley $80 for an Emma frost comission, and he tossed in a sketch of Mark from Invincible, and both Katie Cook & Jarrett Williams contributed to my X-Men sketch cover w/ Pixie and Iceman respectedly. 3 MORE SKETCHES TO GO AND I CAN START MY AVENGERS ONE!
I couldn't afford the one I REALLY wanted, but I could afford others and really liked one that was in my price range, but didn't have enough cash and they couldn't take credit card. Woe. Someday it's going to happen. Someday, I'll have the one I really want. *crazed fangirl eyes*

It's expensive, but I don't begrudge the expense at all. I think artists deserve it.

I love getting commissions. Hopefully, I'll be able to swing one from Stephanie Hans the next time she takes some.

Emma <3
Kimmu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #47
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmu View Post
I couldn't afford the one I REALLY wanted, but I could afford others and really liked one that was in my price range, but didn't have enough cash and they couldn't take credit card. Woe. Someday it's going to happen. Someday, I'll have the one I really want. *crazed fangirl eyes*

It's expensive, but I don't begrudge the expense at all. I think artists deserve it.

I love getting commissions. Hopefully, I'll be able to swing one from Stephanie Hans the next time she takes some.

Emma <3
I like the idea of owning pages/original art, but I personally can't justified spending the $$$ on it. The artist I dig usually want high end #s, which again, they deserve, but I would have to be making better cash to warrant a purchase.

Sketches, on the other hand, are my jam. The $80 I've spent on Ottley's Frost has to be the most I've dropped on an comission, but he's my favorite artist working today and she's my favorite X-Woman, so it was well worth it. Plus like I said, I also got an sketch from Invincible himself for free, so dopeness. In terms of prize possession though. I also have an Adam Hughes Bayonetta sketch that set me back $10, which is great as he's sworn off con sketching, and a friend scored me a sketch of my wife and I from Mike (aka Gabe) from Penny Arcade as a wedding gift, and it's the coolest fucking thing ever.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #48
fuzzykitty_01
awsome one of awsomeness

Quote:
I will be the best damn 5'2 Thor the world has ever seen. Who will be accompanied by a 6'4 Valkyrie. I tried to convince him he could just wear my Loki costume and people could be confused at the wrong heights, but no, he wanted a new costume too. Brunnhilde it is.
Oh don't worry, my bf and I will be the height confused NorseBros this con. XD I'm 6'2 and my Thor is 5'3 and hella skinny. xD But that's cool! I've never seen a Valkyrie at a con before. Mostly if anyone does the minor Marvel characters, they do that Elf guy (I forgot his name)

The only Valkyrie I've seen was in a photo and she was a girl. Which makes sense because Valkyries are Warrior Women who spirit away the souls of warriors to Valhalla.

NEXT CON:
AnimeUSA 2012
fuzzykitty_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #49
Kimmu
silly pervert

Quote:
I like the idea of owning pages/original art, but I personally can't justified spending the $$$ on it. The artist I dig usually want high end #s, which again, they deserve, but I would have to be making better cash to warrant a purchase.

Sketches, on the other hand, are my jam. The $80 I've spent on Ottley's Frost has to be the most I've dropped on an comission, but he's my favorite artist working today and she's my favorite X-Woman, so it was well worth it. Plus like I said, I also got an sketch from Invincible himself for free, so dopeness. In terms of prize possession though. I also have an Adam Hughes Bayonetta sketch that set me back $10, which is great as he's sworn off con sketching, and a friend scored me a sketch of my wife and I from Mike (aka Gabe) from Penny Arcade as a wedding gift, and it's the coolest fucking thing ever.
I really love the idea of holding the raw, tangible art to a page of a comic that I really love. So someday I'll splurge and get one or two and frame them for my wall. But yessss sketches are amazing, though I've yet to have the balls to start up a comic based sketchbook to take around to comic cons. I have anime ones from Japanese artists at doujinshi events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzykitty_01 View Post
Oh don't worry, my bf and I will be the height confused NorseBros this con. XD I'm 6'2 and my Thor is 5'3 and hella skinny. xD But that's cool! I've never seen a Valkyrie at a con before. Mostly if anyone does the minor Marvel characters, they do that Elf guy (I forgot his name)

The only Valkyrie I've seen was in a photo and she was a girl. Which makes sense because Valkyries are Warrior Women who spirit away the souls of warriors to Valhalla.
My roommate is a fairly amazing cosplayer and he LOVES the challenge of male to female crossplay, so we were explicitly looking for a good solid female Marvel character for him. And he's been reading enough with Val in it to really like her. And then I told him no, no Ultimates versions because I don't fancy a beard.
Unread 10-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #50
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
I really love the idea of holding the raw, tangible art to a page of a comic that I really love. So someday I'll splurge and get one or two and frame them for my wall. But yessss sketches are amazing, though I've yet to have the balls to start up a comic based sketchbook to take around to comic cons. I have anime ones from Japanese artists at doujinshi events.
Having a sketch book is THE BEST thing to do. While I have several commissioned pieces ranging from $25-$80 a pop, the most I've paid for a sketch was $10. My book is about 2 years old, and has over a dozen pieces in it. I've seen dudes do themed books, which are super cool, but seeing how this is my first, the only theme I got going is cool sketches by cool artists.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
Unread 10-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #51
Lyliah
Lovingly Self-conflicted

Quote:
Apparently I'll be at AUSA on Saturday. Badgeless. And most likely day-drunk. And dressed as Hawkeye at some point that evening. With several other Avengers. #YOLO

P.S. NYCC OWNED.
A little late on the uptake, aren't I? Anyway, welcome! Bring your crew and join us for pics ^_^ Good to see you again.

"Frobozz electric; we don't just make things that suck, we make things that suck permanently."
~ Zork: Grand Inquisitor
Lyliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #52
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyliah View Post
A little late on the uptake, aren't I? Anyway, welcome! Bring your crew and join us for pics ^_^ Good to see you again.
In your defense I had no intentions of doing AUSA until several local peeps made the arrangements a lot more bearable!

What time is said gathering though? No promises, as aside from our shoot and DRINKAN time on Saturday, I have no idea how early we'll be there. This is going to be more of a "CHRIS HANGS OUT WITH BROS, IS HAWKGUY, THEN BACK TO BROING" type of trip than it is a con-venture.

Unread 10-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #53
Lyliah
Lovingly Self-conflicted

Quote:
In your defense I had no intentions of doing AUSA until several local peeps made the arrangements a lot more bearable!

What time is said gathering though? No promises, as aside from our shoot and DRINKAN time on Saturday, I have no idea how early we'll be there. This is going to be more of a "CHRIS HANGS OUT WITH BROS, IS HAWKGUY, THEN BACK TO BROING" type of trip than it is a con-venture.
Yeah, but I saw your post and it took be a few days of licking flavored windows before I realized that I should respond lol.

The meet Sat is at noon, so it shouldn't be too early. If you can't make it though, at least say hi if you see me, maybe we can all catch a drink. The hotel bar looks niiiiiiiiiiice, but it's probably priiiiiiiiiiiiiicey. Hey, a weekend away is fun con or no con, and you still get to watch the costumes XD

"Frobozz electric; we don't just make things that suck, we make things that suck permanently."
Unread 10-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #54
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyliah View Post
Yeah, but I saw your post and it took be a few days of licking flavored windows before I realized that I should respond lol.

The meet Sat is at noon, so it shouldn't be too early. If you can't make it though, at least say hi if you see me, maybe we can all catch a drink. The hotel bar looks niiiiiiiiiiice, but it's probably priiiiiiiiiiiiiicey. Hey, a weekend away is fun con or no con, and you still get to watch the costumes XD
MMmmmmm, wall candy.

And yeah, noon isn't happening for me, lol. By then I should be at the zoo getting day drunk. As for booze prices, on one hand I'm from NYC so expensive is the norm for me. We shall see though, friends and I are hammering out the details still.

Unread 10-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #55
Lyliah
Lovingly Self-conflicted

Quote:
MMmmmmm, wall candy.

And yeah, noon isn't happening for me, lol. By then I should be at the zoo getting day drunk. As for booze prices, on one hand I'm from NYC so expensive is the norm for me. We shall see though, friends and I are hammering out the details still.
well if you need my info, lemme know. If not, I'm sure I'll see you around ^_^

Unread 10-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #56
Kimmu
silly pervert

I think I need a lot of alcohol to help me cope with the end of Gillen's run on Journey into Mystery. So, so good. Hurts so, so much.

So looking forward to a weekend of fun away from the crunch of work that I've had the past couple of weeks.
Unread 10-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #57
Lyliah
Lovingly Self-conflicted

Quote:
I think I need a lot of alcohol to help me cope with the end of Gillen's run on Journey into Mystery. So, so good. Hurts so, so much.

So looking forward to a weekend of fun away from the crunch of work that I've had the past couple of weeks.
AUSA can't come fast enough for me.
VACATION TIME. NOW PLS.

Unread 10-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #58
BlackroseHunter
TheOne&amp;Only

I can not wait until AUSA! Classes have me so stressed that all I want to do is dress in costumes and have some fun.

"When you curse someone, you dig your own grave"

Cosplays for Anime Mid-Atlantic 2014:
Princess Tiana (The Princess and the Frog)
Ymir (Attack on Titan)
Fem!Prussia (Nyotalia/Hetalia)

Cosplays for Otakon 2014
Princess Tiana (The Princess and the Frog)
Tony the Talking Clock (Don't Hug Me I'm Scared)
Fem!Rin Matsuoka (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club)
Fu, Seven-Tailed Jinchuuriki (Naruto: Shippuden)
BlackroseHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #59
Lyliah
Lovingly Self-conflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackroseHunter View Post
I can not wait until AUSA! Classes have me so stressed that all I want to do is dress in costumes and have some fun.
YES. Even with it almost being Halloween, nothing QUITE does it like a con when it comes to a good time.

Unread 10-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #60
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:

Gillen's been on fire these last couple of months. The last couple issues of Uncanny X-men have been solid, JiM ranges from amazing to BAWWW, Young Avengers is going to great and his AvX Consequences mini has been solid. I just wish he had a better artist for his upcoming Iron Man run.